• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Taxi Rates

Discussion in 'Cozumel' started by living4experiences, Feb 19, 2021.

1. deepsea21

deepsea21 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That's a wrong assumption when taking a taxi in Mexico. That's USA culture and USA citizen thinking. Mexico has developed a very different culture than ours that values very different things.

2. gopbroek

gopbroek Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Typically whoever is directing / paying grabs the front seat, its easier to communicate

3. ReefHound

ReefHound Divemaster

I'm not really trying to "say" anything or impress anyone when I take a taxi. And if a driver were to try to abduct me I'd rather be behind where he has no access to me and I can strangle him or gouge his eyes out, not to mention better survive the impending collision.

They know you're a touron when they pick you up at Casa del Mar and drop you off at Wet Wendys.

CajunDiva likes this.
  4. Yellowdog

Yellowdog Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Has this happened to you? I guess I have been lucky so far but to date I have never been forced to go to battle with my taxi driver, in Cozumel or anywhere else. ( although I may have thought about it in NY a couple of times )

5. Doc Harry

Doc Harry Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    This will be my third trip to Coz during the pandemic. I take $1K in $5 bills, and tip generously every where I go.

6. deepsea21

deepsea21 Regular of the Pub

No. Taxis are safe on Cozumel but there are other areas of Mexico and other countries that I wouldn't want to be stuck in the back of a cab... An ounce of prevention = 1lb of cure.

7. gopbroek

gopbroek Solo Diver

Dove off the back of a Jeepney on the way to Subic city a few times when they tried diverting into the jungle :eek:

Lorenzoid likes this.
  8. blue steal

blue steal Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Oh yes I can see you doing that after a few San Michaels

gopbroek likes this.
  9. gopbroek

gopbroek Solo Diver

When are you going to make it down?
    "Remember San Miguel"

10. ChuckP

ChuckP Contributor

Living here, which is the same as staying at a local house air bnb or something - it's great to have access to a "personal" driver. I also respect the guys qued up in line and never call private guys when getting to the ferry dock.

We have three drivers we use, depending on the area and time of day - it's not always them that show up as they'll call someone else if they aren't close. At 2 or 4am and past curfew, you better have a private number to call and it's real nice when you don't have to try and remember where the heck you live, cause he already knows lol - Casa de Carlos por favor mi amigo!!