Taxi Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We take taxis from Fiesta Americana to downtown, and back. I always give them a $20 each way.

We take taxis from Fiesta Americana to downtown, and back. I always give them a $20 each way.
That's very generous of you. $20 USD currently equals $411 MXN. The rate from Fiesta Americana equals $120 MXN, for up to four person so paying 343% is very generous.

That's very generous of you. $20 USD currently equals $411 MXN. The rate from Fiesta Americana equals $120 MXN, for up to four person so paying 343% is very generous.
Yeah, he probably has cab drivers laying in wait for him to come out the door at FA and jockeying for position when he does. ;^)

I was just there last week and the first part of the week I was tipping the taxis as I always do and have done elsewhere. About midweek, I met a local (expat) who told me not to tip, that that taxi cab drivers on Cozumel are among some of the highest paid people on the island. I also realized that you can negotiate them fairly fair down from where they started. So, were they trying to rip me off from the get go?

I've just returned from Cozumel and I've attached pictures of the taxi rates I got from a driver. The rates haven't changed since 2019. One of the sheets says 2011-2016, but the effective date stamp on the bottom is 2019. Also attached is a taxi rate schedule from Hotel Cozumel, if you happen to be staying there, which is also in the same hotel zone as Scuba Cozumel.
Having trouble understanding the rate chart. If I am staying at the Fiesta Americana, Zone 5, how much does it cost to get to the airport and or downtown? Also I actually do need to go from the Fiesta Americana to the Marina Puerto De Abrigo Banco Playa. Can I figure out the expected rate from the rate sheet? Thanks in advance.

Having trouble understanding the rate chart. If I am staying at the Fiesta Americana, Zone 5, how much does it cost to get to the airport and or downtown? Also I actually do need to go from the Fiesta Americana to the Marina Puerto De Abrigo Banco Playa. Can I figure out the expected rate from the rate sheet? Thanks in advance.
OK the 2016 rate cards on the sticky at the top of the cozumel forum are still in effect. They were enacted in 2016 and have not kept up with inflation, For the shorter runs I uptick them by a buck or two (in Pesos), it is Mexico and the currency is peso's. pay in dollars and the exchange rate is whatever the driver says it is, they are not banks or cambios.
The rate from Fiesta Americana Zona Sur 5 (south zone 5) is $120MXN for up to four persons to the 'centro' downtown region. As for going to other hotel zones or Aeropuerto this rate card (stripped from the sticky) kicks in:
upload_2021-4-1_15-59-51.png
`
The northern port is not clear, Zona norte 1 contains Playa Casitas and the Westin is in Zona norte 2, Marina Puerto De Abrigo Banco Playa is in between so I would go worst case to North zone 2 (anyone out there please feel free to correct me).
OK to the Aeropuerto from Zona Sur 5 is $240MXN (currently about $12USD) high rates in and out of an airport (gringo/out of towner tax) is pretty much standard everywhere in Mexico I have been, including non tourist areas.
Zona sur 5 to Zona norte 2 is $215MXN ($10.50 USD)

Do many drivers try to inflate the fare? I ask because I have never looked at the published rates--just made nice with the driver in Spanish and at the end asked how much. I tend to trust people, figuring MOST people are not crooks, even in Mexico (ha ha). Maybe I'm naive. I never tipped a taxi driver in Mexico--in what country other than the US is it customary to tip taxi drivers beyond rounding up change to the nearest whatever?

I found the solution to taxi drivers never having change. Just ask if they have change before getting in. They aren't going to risk losing a fare and will always have change. If you ask at the end of your ride they will almost never have change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom