Taxi Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have searched the posts here and on Google and I cannot find any updated taxi rates for Cozumel since 2016. Does anyone have a current zone and rate chart they can share or perhaps a web site link with the current rates?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: Please don't pass judgment on why I asked the question. But to enlighten you, having been ripped off by taxi drivers in Cozumel in the past because I didn't know what I should be paying makes me a better consumer for the next time around.

I have searched the posts here and on Google and I cannot find any updated taxi rates for Cozumel since 2016. Does anyone have a current zone and rate chart they can share or perhaps a web site link with the current rates?

Thanks in advance! :)
I was just in Coz for 12 nights. When I took a taxi I didn't ask the rate and gave them more than they asked for. The poor people in Cozumel are starving. Be generous, please.

I was just in Coz for 12 nights. When I took a taxi I didn't ask the rate and gave them more than they asked for. The poor people in Cozumel are starving. Be generous, please.

Yeah, that's what we did in October and will do so again in April.
Tipped the servers very generously as well.

I have not been able to find a good online source for what is on the taxi rate cards. The last I saw one was from 2016 and expires in 2019. I believe they did go up a bit but don't remember when exactly. There are sites that are middlemen to arrange a taxi (taxi, vans, tours, etc) and their fares are largely aimed at cruise ship people and from a pier to selected desintations and by name not zone and in USD. I try to keep in mind that fuel went up and I want to say more than the fare increase but don't quote me on that.
The only time I see the entire card is when an honest taxi driver posts them on facebook and I haven't seen one in awhile.
Somewhere on a Qroo or municipal page there will be the official agreement with rates buried in documents. I haven't found it yet and they don't publicize it. If you have way too much time and can decipher some spanish you can try searching on:
Sindicato de Taxistas de Cozumel and tarifas.

The rates are approved by (hierarchically):
Gobierno del Estado de Quintana Roo
Secretaria de infraestructura y transporte (sintra)
Direccion de communicaciones y transportes
Tarifa del servicio publico de transporte de pasajeros

The state and departments will have their official pages.

There are several taxi drivers that post regularly on C4U Facebook page. Seems like I remember rate sheets posted in last few months. I’ll try to find them tomorrow

The rates are approved by (hierarchically):
Gobierno del Estado de Quintana Roo
Secretaria de infraestructura y transporte (sintra)
Direccion de communicaciones y transportes
Tarifa del servicio publico de transporte de pasajeros
Thanks for the tips. I ran across these entities in my Google search and had Google translate it to English, but I couldn't find anything of value.

Due to expensive taxis in the US and Europe, I've shied away from using taxis in SE Asia. Well, one time, I was in Bali and was pretty pissed off with all the touts screaming 50,000 IDR for a ride, so I walked to the accommodations... 45 min in the hot sun with 40 lbs on my back and pulling 30 lbs of dive gear. It was later that I did the conversion to find it was only $4.

I've just returned from Cozumel and I've attached pictures of the taxi rates I got from a driver. The rates haven't changed since 2019. One of the sheets says 2011-2016, but the effective date stamp on the bottom is 2019. Also attached is a taxi rate schedule from Hotel Cozumel, if you happen to be staying there, which is also in the same hotel zone as Scuba Cozumel.

Attachments

• 20210313_164413.jpg
    20210313_164413.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20210312_194552.jpg
    20210312_194552.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 360
  • 20210313_164311.jpg
    20210313_164311.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 170
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back