Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't hurt Cozumel to actually discuss a problem that exists there. The place exists in the real world and has real world problems just like anyplace else. If you own realestate there, don't worry, it's not going to plummet in value over somebody discussing the cab drivers ripping off tourists.

I am not worried in the least. I have been posting about Cozumel (positive and negative) here and elsewhere for well over a decade with lots of time spent in Cozumel. I have owned property for about half of that time and frankly, in making that purchase decision, relied on my personal experiences and not those of posts by short term visitors. That others, with different life expectations or limited experience, have different views and experiences of mine is not unexpected. To each his own.

This is extremely small time stuff. Referring to Cozumel taxistas as "The Mafia" is like calling the grade school kids who ride bicycles around my neighborhood "The Hell's Angels".

YMMV.

I agree, I took that hyperbole in the title as a major clue to the OPs rather relaxed and fun attempt at discussion of the topic.

Much gets lost or perceived very differently in text than does in speaking with one another since there in no sense of inflection or reading another's facial expressions. For instance the part I said about real estate owners in Cozumel and all. Unless I put in 20 emoticons, which I refuse to do, one reader either takes it very seriously and defensively or another reader takes it less so, all based on their perceptions or interpretations. It's definitely fun to watch how differently people react, at least for me it is anyways.

The way I read the OP, the fares were all acceptable except for the one, the one he failed to check on before being taken for a ride. It seems to me that it is more of a cultural thing than an attempt to screw somebody out of 3 or 4 bucks. I am far from a Cozumel expert but when purchasing something I always try to barter a cheaper price. I see the barter method to be cultural. If I only got screwed out of 4 bucks today here at home, I would be happy.(except for food and I know up front what the cost is going to be) When I am on vacation, I don't sweat the small stuff.

It IS NOT a cultural thing to barter! The ONLY REASON they barter is because they have been TAUGHT that from the tourists who are always trying to get a discount on something! The locals don't go around trying to barter prices on things - they pay the price asked. It's almost as if some tourists believe that local hard working hotels, dive ops, restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, etc. should subsidize their vacation by giving them discounts. Do you go in to local businesses back home and barter? No, you pay the price they are asking - why should it be any different here?

The thing many tourists fail to realize is that while this may be their vacation and FUN, the people that work and own/operate businesses here are trying to make a living just like those that are here on vacation. These businesses are our livlihoods, they are not hobbies, they are businesses. the cost of doing business here is not cheap! So while you want to barter over a dollar or two - it's only a dollar or two to you - and really nothing in the grans scheme when you've already spent hundreds or in some cases thousands on airfare, hotel and all the pre-travel goodies you buy. Most of the people who work and live here don't get to travel and go on big vacations - so please keep that in perspective.

I am not condoning some of the taxi's trying to squeak out another dollar or two or three, which is why I spent the time to get the official taxi rate, translate them, and post them. But really, in the big picture - if they are doing that - just think that they probably need it more than you do!

Sorry - rant off - just trying to give some perspective :)

It IS NOT a cultural thing to barter! The ONLY REASON they barter is because they have been TAUGHT that from the tourists who are always trying to get a discount on something! The locals don't go around trying to barter prices on things - they pay the price asked. It's almost as if some tourists believe that local hard working hotels, dive ops, restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, etc. should subsidize their vacation by giving them discounts. Do you go in to local businesses back home and barter? No, you pay the price they are asking - why should it be any different here?

First, you are using the term "barter", which means a direct exchange of goods or services for goods or services without using money as a medium of exchange, when I think you mean "haggle", which means to engage in negotiation over price. Do I go into local businesses here in Texas and haggle over prices? Sometimes! And often I have saved a lot of money by doing so. And I have haggled over price with Hotels, both in Cozumel and in the U.S. and Europe. When I used to fly down to Coz without any reservations, I would ofter go to the small hotels downtown, ask if they had a room for 3, 4 or 5 nights, however long I was staying, and ask how much. I would then make a counteroffer and haggle until agreement was reached or I moved on to another hotel. A hotel room for a given night is what's called a perishable good - if the room isn't rented for that night, the opportunity to rent it for that night will be lost forever. So the hotelier has to make a decision - do I accept less than the asking price, but more than enough to cover my variable costs (typically, only the cost of maid service and marginal utility costs for AC for one day), and get something extra for the room, or run the risk that it sits empty and get nothing? At the old Casa Maya Hotel on Calle Cinco Sur, I could typically get 4 nights at $30 or $35 a night, provided I paid up front in cash, when the asking price was $45 a night. I learned long ago that it never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is that someone says no. And if rejection really bothered me, I'd have NEVER gotten a date as a teenager! So, cultural or not, I don't know why locals would be bothered or offended by Americans trying to haggle. Nearly every Texan who goes agross the border to Matamoros or Nuevo Laredo is taught at an early age that haggling over price is expected. And when they find that that lovely silver bracelet or hand made wallet can be had for less than half of the original asking price from the street vendor, the lesson is learned. If a local doesn't want to haggle, he or she can simply say "No, Senor[ita], the price is _____ Pesos. I will not take less." And the American is then free to decide to pay the asking price or move on. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I'll continue to haggle whenever I think there's a reasonable chance to save some money. And I won't be offended if the person on the other side says "No. The price I quoted you is the price. Take it or leave it."

The locals don't go around trying to barter prices on things - they pay the price asked.

I thought I read (not so long ago) that there were two prices for a taxi. 1 for locals and a different price for non-locals. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I am in business in the US and constantly have customers try to bargain price.You can go into a best buy or home depot and bargain prices on large items.There is also price match or better price at many stores in the states.The economy has changed greatly in the last 4 years.I use a small local hotel in town and pay cash up front and nobody blinks an eye.

Yes, I dicker over prices here in Texas at times. It just depends.

I thought I read (not so long ago) that there were two prices for a taxi. 1 for locals and a different price for non-locals. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
:laughing: We went over that in much detail. Official answer: No! But it's up to the driver.

First, you are using the term "barter", which means a direct exchange of goods or services for goods or services without using money as a medium of exchange, when I think you mean "haggle", which means to engage in negotiation over price. Do I go into local businesses here in Texas and haggle over prices? Sometimes! And often I have saved a lot of money by doing so. And I have haggled over price with Hotels, both in Cozumel and in the U.S. and Europe. When I used to fly down to Coz without any reservations, I would ofter go to the small hotels downtown, ask if they had a room for 3, 4 or 5 nights, however long I was staying, and ask how much. I would then make a counteroffer and haggle until agreement was reached or I moved on to another hotel. A hotel room for a given night is what's called a perishable good - if the room isn't rented for that night, the opportunity to rent it for that night will be lost forever. So the hotelier has to make a decision - do I accept less than the asking price, but more than enough to cover my variable costs (typically, only the cost of maid service and marginal utility costs for AC for one day), and get something extra for the room, or run the risk that it sits empty and get nothing? At the old Casa Maya Hotel on Calle Cinco Sur, I could typically get 4 nights at $30 or $35 a night, provided I paid up front in cash, when the asking price was $45 a night. I learned long ago that it never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is that someone says no. And if rejection really bothered me, I'd have NEVER gotten a date as a teenager! So, cultural or not, I don't know why locals would be bothered or offended by Americans trying to haggle. Nearly every Texan who goes agross the border to Matamoros or Nuevo Laredo is taught at an early age that haggling over price is expected. And when they find that that lovely silver bracelet or hand made wallet can be had for less than half of the original asking price from the street vendor, the lesson is learned. If a local doesn't want to haggle, he or she can simply say "No, Senor[ita], the price is _____ Pesos. I will not take less." And the American is then free to decide to pay the asking price or move on. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But I'll continue to haggle whenever I think there's a reasonable chance to save some money. And I won't be offended if the person on the other side says "No. The price I quoted you is the price. Take it or leave it."

I didn't use "barter" - I was quoting another poster that used that term.

And ok - so I didn't exhaust every single circumstance or scenario - but most people will get the point I was trying to make.

I am thinking I might have to call BS on that, Christi....

I mean I get the old saw of pointing fingers at the jerky tourist trying to cheat the locals, probably because often they deserve it, but Am I wrong that the el regateo is a time honored tradition existing for a long time in many countries, including Mexico?

Maybe El Graduado will weigh in?

I am thinking I might have to call BS on that, Christi....

I mean I get the old saw of pointing fingers at the jerky tourist trying to cheat the locals, probably because often they deserve it, but Am I wrong that the el regateo is a time honored tradition existing for a long time in many countries, including Mexico?

Maybe El Graduado will weigh in?
I first learned it from Mexicans in Mexico when I was like 12. I said "No thanks" and he came back with a lower price, and the game was on...!!

I don't know where it started or the path of which group taught whom next. There is an extensive discussion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bargaining

I would say that Mexicans are many times more likely to bargain or dicker (barter was the wrong word) than most Americans - whoever had the idea first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom