Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... my experience is that if you live here, speak Spanish, are integrated into the community, and don't look or act like a tourist, most vendors and service people here give you the standard price for an item or service right off the bat. I find I need to haggle here as often as I do when I go to the states; in other words, not very often. However, I am not typically purchasing the kinds of goods and services a tourist does, or in the places frequented by tourists. That said, it has long been an accepted practice by the taxi drivers to bump up their rates for tourists. Back when the first cruise ship pier was built, and cruise ship passengers needed a taxi ride into town rather than just walking off the muelle fiscal after being dropped of by the ship's boat, the taxi drivers began discriminating between local fares from down south and cruise ship passengers. One day my jeep cj5 broke down and while waiting for a taxi to come by, I began talking to a couple of tourists who had walked a short distance from the pier, and then decided to wait for a cab also. When a taxi stopped, I asked them if they wanted to ride with me, since the charge was by the trip, not by the passenger. As they got in, the taxi driver told me in a pained voice, he was losing money by letting them ride at the regular rate. I asked him what he meant, and he said he charged more for cruise ship passengers. I asked how he could tell the difference between a cruise ship passengers and a guest of La Cieba? He said "the cruise ship passengers all have patches behind their ears!" It's been going on for a long time, and I doubt it will ever change back.

Not long ago, I had occasion to take a cab from the Cruz Roja on 65th, to Don Nassim's house on Melgar at Calle 12 to pick up my car. I asked the driver how much I owed him as we arrived at my destination and he said 25 pesos. I guess if I had a patch behind my ear, it would have been an arm and a leg!

Well, El Graduado, how about in rural Mexico in the old town market scene?

I would think it is less bargaining now with standardization and commercialization of stuff, but before that?

I do love your anecdotes.

First, you are using the term "barter", which means a direct exchange of goods or services for goods or services without using money as a medium of exchange, when I think you mean "haggle"...
My guess was "bargain".

I have on occasion engaged in the practice, but I don't initiate it. I was in a shop last May and inquired what an item cost. The clerk told me what the asking price was, which was more than I wanted to pay for it; I said "no, gracias" and turned to walk away. The clerk followed me and asked me how much I'd be willing to pay. I told him, and he agreed to it. Sale made.

I was the one that used the word barter. Please forgive me, I should have said haggle.

I won't argue with the taxi driver, I state where I want to go and ask how much before I get in the TAXI. How hard is that? I suppose it is easier to go online and bitch about getting ripped off for a buck or 2 than it is to ask the simple question. I read in the Bonaire threads about having to leave nothing in the pickups and leave the windows down so that nothing gets stolen. I find that far more disturbing than a taxi driver that gets you for a buck or 2. Not to say that would stop me from going there, it just seems far more sinister than overpaying a taxi driver in Cozumel. (haven't been there yet, don't really have any plans to do so. I would like to get back to Coz for another trip this year though)

Thanks for the perspective though. I thought it was part of being there, being able to haggle, I always thought it to be kind of fun. Trust me, I am not out to screw a hard working local. I am not going to piss myself over a couple of bucks if it with a shopkeeper or a taxi driver either. I go there to dive and have a fun vacation. I try to tip well and appreciate where I am and why I am there. I certainly don't expect anyone to subsidize my vacation.

Thanks for posting the taxi rate. I don't know that it will change the way I do things. I have had a good time talking to some of the taxi drivers.

It IS NOT a cultural thing to barter! The ONLY REASON they barter is because they have been TAUGHT that from the tourists who are always trying to get a discount on something! The locals don't go around trying to barter prices on things - they pay the price asked. It's almost as if some tourists believe that local hard working hotels, dive ops, restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, etc. should subsidize their vacation by giving them discounts. Do you go in to local businesses back home and barter? No, you pay the price they are asking - why should it be any different here?

The thing many tourists fail to realize is that while this may be their vacation and FUN, the people that work and own/operate businesses here are trying to make a living just like those that are here on vacation. These businesses are our livlihoods, they are not hobbies, they are businesses. the cost of doing business here is not cheap! So while you want to barter over a dollar or two - it's only a dollar or two to you - and really nothing in the grans scheme when you've already spent hundreds or in some cases thousands on airfare, hotel and all the pre-travel goodies you buy. Most of the people who work and live here don't get to travel and go on big vacations - so please keep that in perspective.

I am not condoning some of the taxi's trying to squeak out another dollar or two or three, which is why I spent the time to get the official taxi rate, translate them, and post them. But really, in the big picture - if they are doing that - just think that they probably need it more than you do!

Sorry - rant off - just trying to give some perspective :)

As a cruiser, I don't think all taxi drivers rip cruisers off, and it would be hard to. The rates are posted at the terminal. Cruisers know exactly what they will pay. The two taxis we took in Cozumel never even said what to pay them, we just handed them the fare listed on the board and a small tip. The 10:1 rate is unfavorable but easy.

On other islands we've found similar rates but per person, not cab. Cozumel was a bargain.

Maybe it is easier to rip off non cruise tourists because rates aren't posted?

As a cruiser, I don't think all taxi drivers rip cruisers off, and it would be hard to. The rates are posted at the terminal. Cruisers know exactly what they will pay. The two taxis we took in Cozumel never even said what to pay them, we just handed them the fare listed on the board and a small tip. The 10:1 rate is unfavorable but easy.

On other islands we've found similar rates but per person, not cab. Cozumel was a bargain.

Maybe it is easier to rip off non cruise tourists because rates aren't posted?

How were you not ripped off?

If the fare for example was 100 pesos and you paid him $10 US, you were ripped off by over-paying 30% and screwed identically the same as a taxi driver who rips people off by charging someone 90 pesos for a 60 peso fare.

You were ripped off.

I can't even imagine the lifestyle I could live in the US if I could screw everyone of my customers by 30% playing exchange rate games. Can you imagine getting a 30% pure profit margin on top of normal profits???? I'd own a lear jet!

Cristi's point is more about where people think it is ok to haggle. We don't haggle when we order off a menu for example. Christi offers a quality product/service as do other shops. These shops compete on quality service, not low price. Many customers want discounts, not realizing all that goes into providing a quality experience. When divers show up with $2,500 worth of brand new gear from their lds and pay 1500 on air and lodging and want to bargain on everything else as part of their "vacation experience" it can be insulting. Discounts given because of loyalty, referrals, and because you are a likeable customer are very different than the attitude some people have.
Years ago I went into one of the in town dive equipment stores to replace a mesh bag that tore. It was marked $12. I asked if they would take $10. He replied, in a snooty tone of voice, "Senior this is a dive shop, not a souvenir stand!" I got his point, I paid him the $12, and I now think twice about where I bargain.

It IS NOT a cultural thing to barter! The ONLY REASON they barter is because they have been TAUGHT that from the tourists who are always trying to get a discount on something! The locals don't go around trying to barter prices on things - they pay the price asked. It's almost as if some tourists believe that local hard working hotels, dive ops, restaurants, bars, souvenir shops, etc. should subsidize their vacation by giving them discounts. Do you go in to local businesses back home and barter? No, you pay the price they are asking - why should it be any different here?

The thing many tourists fail to realize is that while this may be their vacation and FUN, the people that work and own/operate businesses here are trying to make a living just like those that are here on vacation. These businesses are our livlihoods, they are not hobbies, they are businesses. the cost of doing business here is not cheap! So while you want to barter over a dollar or two - it's only a dollar or two to you - and really nothing in the grans scheme when you've already spent hundreds or in some cases thousands on airfare, hotel and all the pre-travel goodies you buy. Most of the people who work and live here don't get to travel and go on big vacations - so please keep that in perspective.

I am not condoning some of the taxi's trying to squeak out another dollar or two or three, which is why I spent the time to get the official taxi rate, translate them, and post them. But really, in the big picture - if they are doing that - just think that they probably need it more than you do!

Sorry - rant off - just trying to give some perspective :)

I'm not sure if you should be making a villain of the tourists. It is easy to blame others for one's actions but we are all responsible for the decisions we make in life. I would imagine that locals don't spend much time in the same shops that tourists spend time in. I know first hand that you can go to the store next door and see the same item 50% less. My wife forced me to walk into each shop in order to find the best price on a picture frame. Occasionally, the price difference approached 100% within a block. We never bargained for any item but the prices were feeding off of tourists' ignorance. Lying to me about a price of a cab fare, and then getting angry when I question it, is immoral. Intentionally not carrying change or claiming you don't have change when you do is wrong. It's a matter of right and wrong to me, I tip well and am very appreciative of any form of service. In reality, it is only a few dollars but that's not the point. I would be willing to bet that being honest and giving GREAT service with an amazing attitude would make them more. I would happily give a few dollars to anybody in need but I refuse to encourage or just accept somebody taking advantage of me or somebody else in front of me. It is a give and take relationship between tourists and owners/operators of a tourist destination. You keep biting the hand that feeds you and eventually you will quit getting fed.

I live my life by a pretty simple rule. Treat others as I would want to be treated. It has gotten to the point that I reward honestly more than good service, which is ridiculous.

I didn't haggle with Christi. I think she provides an excellent service. I didn't haggle with the hotel, I knew what the cost was before I checked in. I haggle with the guy that wants to sell me a $10 cigar for $25.

I get Christi's point. It wasn't missed. I said thanks for the insight. Or maybe that's the wrong word too. I still refuse to get bent over a dollar or 2 for a cab ride.

You wouldn't eat a meal and hand somebody a credit card to pay for it without looking at the tab would you? You wouldn't sign up for a trip without knowing what the cost was before you left would you? I wouldn't. Same thing goes for getting in a taxi in Cozumel.

Cristi's point is more about where people think it is ok to haggle. We don't haggle when we order off a menu for example. Christi offers a quality product/service as do other shops. These shops compete on quality service, not low price. Many customers want discounts, not realizing all that goes into providing a quality experience. When divers show up with $2,500 worth of brand new gear from their lds and pay 1500 on air and lodging and want to bargain on everything else as part of their "vacation experience" it can be insulting. Discounts given because of loyalty, referrals, and because you are a likeable customer are very different than the attitude some people have.
Years ago I went into one of the in town dive equipment stores to replace a mesh bag that tore. It was marked $12. I asked if they would take $10. He replied, in a snooty tone of voice, "Senior this is a dive shop, not a souvenir stand!" I got his point, I paid him the $12, and I now think twice about where I bargain.

Last edited:
How were you not ripped off?

If the fare for example was 100 pesos and you paid him $10 US, you were ripped off by over-paying 30% and screwed identically the same as a taxi driver who rips people off by charging someone 90 pesos for a 60 peso fare.

You were ripped off.

I can't even imagine the lifestyle I could live in the US if I could screw everyone of my customers by 30% playing exchange rate games. Can you imagine getting a 30% pure profit margin on top of normal profits???? I'd own a lear jet!

I don' think he was ripped off at all. Taxi drivers are not banks. Like all businesses in Cozumel. They can set their own exchange rates for US dollars and in this case it was 10:1 which is a very common rate. Any exchange rate issue can be easily solved by paying in pesos. I think you just like to whine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom