Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may well be right. It would appear from the original story (translated) that the authorities were on the scene when the tourists were forced off the bus and to take taxis to return to their hotel. That has got to be good for so many tourists and businesses in Cozumel - NOT.
I doubt that the incident will make the slightest difference to Cozumel commerce. These folks are not stupid.

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 05:12 PM ----------

Well, I get the Chamberlain approach, but I guess I have to agree with the acting director of Public Safety who says it make Cozumel look bad which was echoed by another local. In fact the local makes the good point that your indifference to the event is based on a full understanding of what it was about.

Imagine the poor tourist, traveling in Mexico, where their friends said they might get kidnapped, is suddenly cut off in traffic and immobilized. I doubt that poor fellow observed it with the same nonchalance you exhibit.
Now you are comparing this to the appeasement of Hitler? Give me a break. :D

Again I say that calling them the Mafia is just plain ludicrous. With the Mafia, if you mess with their revenue stream or stand up to them, they will KILL you. If you cross the taxi "mafia" they park in front of you so you can't get out of your parking spot.

So the mafia goes right to killin'? I thought the went for intimidation tactics mostly and killing later?

And while I get your desire to minimize, these taxi incidents often happen in moving traffic, not a parking space.

So the mafia goes right to killin'? I thought the went for intimidation tactics mostly and killing later?

And while I get your desire to minimize, this taxi incidents often happen in moving traffic, not a parking space.
I'm not trying to minimize anything. It is what it is and it's not a big deal.

I doubt that the incident will make the slightest difference to Cozumel commerce. These folks are not stupid.

Which folks aren't stupid? You don't think the people on the bus were a bit disturbed by this and likely to share the story?

Now you are comparing this to the appeasement of Hitler? Give me a break. :D

Well, you seem to simply want to say 'whatever' to everything. What could a taxi driver do that would get you to say, "That seems wrong."

Well, you seem to simply want to say 'whatever' to everything. What could a taxi driver do that would get you to say, "That seems wrong."
I dunno. Pull a gun on me? Dump me off in the boonies? Take me to the wrong Mission? :D

This has been fun. I'd love to hang out and rassle with you guys some more but I've got things I gotta do. Carry on; I'm sure this thread will still be live when I get back.

I'm not trying to minimize anything. It is what it is and it's not a big deal.

What if they cut you off in traffic, forced you into a taxi AND fired up a fat cigar, filling the cab with smoke on the way to your hotel?

Holy carp chief. Now you gone and done it.:D
What if they cut you off in traffic, forced you into a taxi AND fired up a fat cigar, filling the cab with smoke on the way to your hotel?

Where is this bus story...??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom