Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was being more generalist in my remarks, but you knew that didn't you? This specific thing doesn't happen here in the US (that I know of) because there isn't a guild or union that concerns itself with such things. But wait, there is a similar case here. There is an online ride share website that seeks to provide people with rides without paying taxis or mass transit, and the taxi companies have successfully lobbied the city council to make using it illegal in Austin.

But unions organizing and taking action against people who go against their wishes happens everywhere. That's not saying it's right or wrong, just that it happens and whether or not it is justified depends on who you ask.

So.... Getting cut off in traffic and immobilized, suddenly and without notice by non-governmental actors is really just the same as people petitioning the government to pass a law?

Still not seeing it....

So.... Getting cut off in traffic and immobilized, suddenly and without notice by non-governmental actors is really just the same as people petitioning the government to pass a law?

Still not seeing it....

Of course not; nothing is exactly the same as anything else. More similar, I guess, is when bicycle riders organize to immobilize parts of a city with bike traffic during rush hour to make a point about "bikers' rights". It has happened here in Austin and elsewhere. Transit worker strikes are similar in some ways as well. The more people they inconvenience the better.

I'm not going to be pushed into taking a right or wrong stance on this, it just is what it is and it's a common practice. People with conflicting agendas do this sort of thing to each other and trap noncombatants into the game for leverage all the time.

Knowing the way things are empowers one to keep from being affected by them. The wailing and gnashing of teeth on an internet forum isn't going to change anything.

Of course not; nothing is exactly the same as anything else. More similar, I guess, is when bicycle riders organize to immobilize parts of a city with bike traffic during rush hour to make a point about "bikers' rights". It has happened here in Austin and elsewhere. Transit worker strikes are similar in some ways as well. The more people they inconvenience the better.

I'm not going to be pushed into taking a right or wrong stance on this, it just is what it is and it's a common practice. People with conflicting agendas do this sort of thing to each other and trap noncombatants into the game for leverage all the time.

Knowing the way things are empowers one to keep from being affected by them. The wailing and gnashing of teeth on an internet forum isn't going to change anything.

I guess so; if you ignore that little line between legal actions and illegal actions.

Bikers rights? Really? We have ABATE. I never said anything about right and wrong and I get your preference for moral equivalencies. Nobody is wrong, its just a different way.

Anyway, still, bikers riding and clogging the roads is the same? Now if you told me they forced you off the road and made you get out of your vehicle and ride a bike, you might have something! Do they do that?

Still not seeing it....

And point out the wail or the gnash, please.

I guess so; if you ignore that little line between legal actions and illegal actions.
How do you know that what the taxistas did was illegal? The fact that the authorities did not thwart them is evidence that it got at least tacit approval by the police.

How do you know that what the taxistas did was illegal? The fact that the authorities did not thwart them is evidence that it got at least tacit approval by the police.

So I guess if the governmental authorities are sufficiently corrupt, then anything you can get away with is legal. Not a great endorsement.

Bikers rights? Really? We have ABATE. I never said anything about right and wrong and I get your preference for moral equivalencies. Nobody is wrong, its just a different way.

Anyway, still, bikers riding and clogging the roads is the same? Now if you told me they forced you off the road and made you get out of your vehicle and ride a bike, you might have something! Do they do that?

Still not seeing it....

And point out the wail or the gnash, please.
You are kidding, right? I point out this thread. :D

As I said, of course it's not the same. Nothing is the same unless it's... well, the same.

The big bad taxi drivers stopped the bus and made the tourists get in taxis to continue to their destinations. Oh, the horror! :D

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 04:57 PM ----------

So I guess if the governmental authorities are sufficiently corrupt, then anything you can get away with is legal. Not a great endorsement.

For something to be illegal it has to be against a standing law that is in force where the incident took place. Show where what they did was illegal. The law is the law, however it got to be that way, irrespective of "right" and "wrong". There are laws in this country which stem from corruption, too.

And I am not endorsing anything; it just is what it is.

You are kidding, right? I point out this thread. :D

As I said, of course it's not the same. Nothing is the same unless it's... well, the same.

The big bad taxi drivers stopped the bus and made the tourists get in taxis to continue to their destinations. Oh, the horror! :D

---------- Post added August 10th, 2013 at 04:57 PM ----------

For something to be illegal it has to be against a standing law that is in force where the incident took place. Show where what they did was illegal. The law is the law, however it got to be that way. There are laws in this country which stem from corruption, too.

You may well be right. It would appear from the original story (translated) that the authorities were on the scene when the tourists were forced off the bus and to take taxis to return to their hotel. That has got to be good for so many tourists and businesses in Cozumel - NOT.

Again I say that calling them the Mafia is just plain ludicrous. With the Mafia, if you mess with their revenue stream or stand up to them, they will KILL you. If you cross the taxi "mafia" they park in front of you so you can't get out of your parking spot.

Well, I get the Chamberlain approach, but I guess I have to agree with the acting director of Public Safety who says it make Cozumel look bad which was echoed by another local. In fact the local makes the good point that your indifference to the event is based on a full understanding of what it was about.

Imagine the poor tourist, traveling in Mexico, where their friends said they might get kidnapped, is suddenly cut off in traffic and immobilized. I doubt that poor fellow observed it with the same nonchalance you exhibit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom