Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There used to be a great bike rental shop on the island, Isla Bicycletta, but they went out of business after Wilma. Now it's tough to find a decent one.

My wife and I rented cruisers from Sombrero (Scooter and bike Rentals in Cozumel Mexico) a couple weeks ago. We paid $10/day per bike (we had them for six days). Rogelio, the owner, was very responsive via email and had the bikes waiting for us when we arrived. The shop primarily rents motor scooter and didn't have many bikes, but the ones we had were far from new, but in good repair. The each came with a basket and lock.

Ron

$10/day bike rentals sound like a good idea. But then I go to Coz to dive, eat, sleep, and Hotel Coz had pretty good food. I think my AI upgrade was like $25 for the week so didn't leave much, mostly because of solo traveler cab fares.
You've got a truck don't you Don?
Nah, it finally died. I drive an Impala big enough to live in, 10-20 mph below limit to safe on gas, but I don't want to run a bus service - and think of the combined opposition I'd run into. :eek:

Ron, I noticed an earlier post, and I wondered how those Sombrero bikes worked out for you. I ride a road bike at home and have been afraid a beach cruiser would be awful to ride, but I just came back from the Turks & Caicos, where I rented a rusty old beach cruiser with soft tires, and I was fine with it--even managed to put 24 miles on it in a day. Did you find the traffic okay to deal with? I regularly ride one of the busiest streets in Chicago, but here, at least, I understand the traffic flow and always know who, exactly, expects the right of way.

We rented at Casa Consuela this trip. Two bikes were included in the condo rental. We rented a car for the duration and admired the beautiful bikes on the way out each day! Sounds like a savings of $20. per day for some!

I wondered how those Sombrero bikes worked out for you. Did you find the traffic okay to deal with?

I was a little concerned about the safety of bicycling, especially given all the issues with motor scooters. We had no problems at all. Not a single case where we felt in any danger from cars, scooters, etc. The biggest risk I felt was the possibility of someone opening a parked car door into us, but we were careful and never even had a close call.

We stayed at the Blue Angel and never went south. We took daily rides into town and sometimes parked the bikes and walked a bit (local market, a little shopping, explored a cemetery, etc.), but we mostly zigged and zagged through town.

I've been to Coz several times diving, but this was only Cathy's second time. She's very content just doing two morning dives, so the bicycling really added another dimension to our days. We both came away with a much, much better feel for life on Cozumel.

Ron

Nah, it finally died. I drive an Impala big enough to live in, 10-20 mph below limit to safe on gas, but I don't want to run a bus service - and think of the combined opposition I'd run into. :eek:

You'd probably need some run flat tires for certain.:auto::m16:

So I just spent the morning with half a million friends, starting at 5am: https://www.facebook.com/balloonfiesta

Wow! Could not have asked for a better morning for the Mass Ascent! Not too cold, not enough wind to move the balloons away hardly, just great. I think I shot a million pics. Good thing I didn't need to pee during the big ascent or I'd have to shower & change. Glad the traffic flowed well on exit. I barely got there early enough at 5am. Most behind me had to park in remote and hike a mile - EACH WAY!

Thanks for the info on the bikes..that sounds like an excellent idea for at least a few days!!

Anyone know what a cab ride to Mezcalitos would be roughly? I found their margaritas to be top notch and the grilled shrimp was amazing!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom