Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does a bus system along the west side REDUCE employment?

One bus driver may move 20 to 30 passengers. Moving that same number of passengers by taxi would be 10 or more cabs. That would mean quite a bit less work for taxi drivers.

So they increased rates by $1.00 to $1.50.

We really have a 6 page thread over this? Really?

Bunch of tightwads. Come on people, its an extra dollar. Geez.

Hey dude, that's somewhere between 8 to 13 pesos in Cozumel. ( depending on who you meet that day )

One bus driver may move 20 to 30 passengers. Moving that same number of passengers by taxi would be 10 or more cabs. That would mean quite a bit less work for taxi drivers.

That is similar to liberals thinking that wealth is a zero sum proposition. Much of that traffic (on a bus) would be new. It would not happen at current taxi rates.

It will take multiple drivers to support a frequent bus route.

Look at the many drivers who sit along Melgar for who knows how long...earning nothing when they are sitting.

My guess is that a bus driving position could be far better paying than catch as you can taxi fares.

Plus you increase the money flow to the economy by getting people out of AIs and to places worth visiting on the island.

Implement a good system and see how successful it is.

Last edited:
The only way I see a bus system working out there is if the Taxi mafia cuts 2/3 of the taxis, which would increase the earnings of the remaining taxi drivers, then the remaining taxi drivers would probably be okay with a bus since they are making good livings. Right now there are so many taxis that they are all getting tiny pieces of the pie, so tiny they fight with vigor against anything they see as threatening to their living.

On the other hand could you imagine the chaos that would take place if they tried to reduce 2/3 of the taxi drivers? There would probably be over-turned burning cabs, taxi drivers dishing out purple herbies, burning tires...they'd probably have to call in the Mexican Marines.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is similar to liberals thinking that wealth is a zero sum proposition. Much of that traffic is new. It would not happen at current taxi rates.

It will take multiple drivers to support a frequent bus route.

Look at the many drivers who sit along Melgar for who knows how long...earning nothing when they are sitting.

My guess is that a bus driving position could be far better paying that catch as you can taxi fares.

Plus you increase the money flow to the economy by getting people out of AIs and to places worth visiting on the island.

Implement a good system and see how successful it is.

So, your idea is to just add buses. At least it would give the taxi cabs sitting at the side of the road something else to look at while they are enjoying all that prosperity that is sure to trickle down their way.

I am endlessy amused by Americans on SB explaining how Mexicans should conduct their business on Coz. Imagine if it was the other way around. :wink:

I am endlessy amused by Americans on SB explaining how Mexicans should conduct their business on Coz. Imagine if it was the other way around. :wink:

Well in an area dependent on tourism, I think it isn't out of line for the 'customers' to discuss the service. I don't see it as imperial arrogance. I would think successful American business men would be interested in hearing what foreigners like that would encourage them to come and spend money. If it was some sort of internal issue, that would be different story.

---------- Post Merged at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Apparently your Mayor Bloomberg understands the economics of it: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/30/foreign-tourists-adore-new-york-city/ http://forbesindia.com/printcontent/33512

:laughing: Except Chief has a good point there.

Many of the groceries around me have English & Spanish signs, and such are becoming common many places. We are pretty accommodating.

I really don't think that suggesting a bus route, especially in a country that uses buses as a primary form of transportation, is explaining how Mexicans should run their business. The fact is that in this case, on this particular island, the taxi drivers have enough political power to block a bus route, and that this is likely the only reason it does not exist. I am quite confident that, apart from the taxi drivers, the general population of Cozumel would not object to a bus running from downtown to the cruise ship area and the beach clubs, and in fact would use it.

Once upon a time on a small island of 18,000, devoted to divers and little else, there existed a balance of taxis-to-customers. Most of this 18,000 live in the town and walked to their neighborhood tiendas and panaderias. Visiting divers stayed within walking distance of the town, since there were NO hotels way down south or way up north. To support the then few out-of-town hotels with workers, hotels operated their own buses/vans even carrying divers to the town for dinner. The was little need for many taxis. All was in harmony.

Then a great evil befell this land of harmony. An evil almost unspeakable: cruiseships. The first cruiseships were cautiously welcomed and had little effect on the general harmony of diver and local. But it was not to be, the cruiseships came in ever increasing numbers, discharging their cargos like pigs in a chute onto the land of harmony. The 18,000 were overwhelmed. Their taxis were no match for this great evil. To bring back the balance and harmony, a call when out far and wide. From all over Mexico they came to answer the call, they would help the 18,000, and reap their rewards; they who would be taxi drivers in the land of harmony! And so it was.

In time, these new taxis further upset the balance, but that's another story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom