Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the Taxi monopoly* has voted themselves a pay raise. Monopolies can do that as long as they don't kill demand, invite a government intervention, or lead to riot - see Mexico's phone system owned by one of the richest men in the world.

And they have a published rate card, which some won't show to anyone even tho they are supposed on request, that outlines the set fares they can charge - aside from extras possible...
This is correct information. Rates are determined by zones, and how many zones you cross. There are also up charges for after 8pm and before 7am, calling a cab vs hailing one, where you get in the cab (ie: getting a cab at Punta Langosta, the cruise ship piers or out of the hotel zone is an automatic surcharge of 5 pesos or something like that. I need to verify the amount. Currently, the rate is around $25 pesos within a zone, crossing into another zone goes up to $40, etc. They ARE supposed to have the fare sheets and zone sheets in the taxi, but not all carry them - conveniently. They are also confusing to someone who is NOT local - even to some locals who don't really know the island.
They can also charge more for extra passengers and/or bags I think. They don't always, but they can be worse.

They do not have a second published fare for locals, but they can charge friends, neighbors, and relatives less if they want to. They can also charge tourists less if they want to, even tho that is rare - more likely on bigger trips like to the ruins or around the island. So there is not a second & lower published rate for locals - just the possibility if the driver wants to charge a local less.

How many have hired a cab that was carrying a local already, or stopped for a local, who got out on the way to your destination without paying anything? :happywave:

I never get into a taxi in Coz until we first agree on a price,that way there are never any problems or misunderstandings.
Yep, agreed there. Sometimes they will quote too much then tho, so it's good to know the fair rate. Not that you can do anything other than walk or wait for the next one - and I bet they have a radio code for alerting each other of such hold outs that even Spanish speakers don't know.

And if there are several cabs waiting outside of your cafe, Mega, wherever - I bet they all want the same price.

* The same taxi monopoly that says that taxis cannot pick up at the airport, and each van will leave packed full of tourists paying as much each as the taxi fare would be otherwise.

As far as the collectivos, they are intended to be low cost local transportation around town, not to transport tourists back and forth. They cannot be low cost transportation to the hotel zones because of fuel cost and demand. They could not run continuously because they cannot guarantee how many tourists will be ready to go into town at any given hour. The hotels all have transport for the employees from town to the hotels and back. I am not advocating for the taxi union, just trying to share some logical perspective that people seem to lose when deciding how other cities/towns/states/countries run their infrastructure without really knowing how things actually work or reasons behind them.

As I said before, I realize that the collectivos are there for locals, but there still is no reason whatsoever that a bus route could not include the main highway. It has nothing to do with 'logical perspective', it is simply that the taxis have enough political power to block it. Cozumel's not the only place in the world where this situation exists.

As far as 'not knowing how many tourists...etc', oh come on. Buses face this scenario every day all over the world. You just figure out more-or-less what the overall demand is and put the bus on an appropriate schedule, with appropriate fares. Maybe this one would be more expensive than the collectivos that run between downtown and the surrounding colonias. So what....

It would really benefit the island; less traffic, less pollution, less noise, fewer accidents, less wear on the roads, less congestion. The only downside is that some taxi drivers would make less money, or more accurately, there would probably be a need for fewer taxis.

The taxi drivers could run the buses. Imagine the option to have a guaranteed income on bus route days. Plus with cheap transport along the beach route, business should increase for the downtown and beach clubs.

The taxi drivers could run the buses. Imagine the option to have a guaranteed income on bus route days. Plus with cheap transport along the beach route, business should increase for the downtown and beach clubs.

Cheap transportation is not the goal. Maximum employment is the goal. Inefficient is OK, maybe even preferable, as long as the employment is there.

Cheap transportation is not the goal. Maximum employment is the goal. Inefficient is OK, maybe even preferable, as long as the employment is there.

winner-701793.jpg

So the Taxi monopoly* has voted themselves a pay raise. Monopolies can do that as long as they don't kill demand, invite a government intervention, or lead to riot - see Mexico's phone system owned by one of the richest men in the world.

Again, I am not an advocate for the taxi's here, I use them as little as possible BUT, some of the arguments and claims made just make me shake my head. So they voted themselves a pay raise after several years of NOT raising prices. They are in business as well, and just like ANY business, prices increase over time to keep up with rising costs of living, costs of doing business, etc. I've said it before, Cozumel is not immune from inflation, it happens here too. AS mentioned numerous times, gas prices here continue to go up, they NEVER go down unlike fluctuating gas prices in the states. Fuel is the biggest expense for the taxi's, so it stands to reason that it's time for them to raise their prices. 20% is a big increase, but if they had increased prices 5 - 8% over the past several years, we would be at the same price point. Raising prices does not make them evil criminals. YES< there are some VERY dishonest taxistas out there, but there are some honest hard working ones trying to support families as well.

What I would like to see is some sort of control and sanctions given to those taxistas found abusing the system, not charging proper rates, not carrying their rate cards, and being rude to tourists. In other words, weed out the bad and keep the good - then the good ones would have more fares and could perhaps change the tourist (and local) perception of their industry.

DandyDon:
They do not have a second published fare for locals, but they can charge friends, neighbors, and relatives less if they want to. They can also charge tourists less if they want to, even tho that is rare - more likely on bigger trips like to the ruins or around the island. So there is not a second & lower published rate for locals - just the possibility if the driver wants to charge a local less.

Since MOST of the taxis are independent contractors, they are small business owners. If they want to charge friends and family less, how is that any different than ANY business owner providing discounts to family, friends, frequent customers, etc. Maybe you think it's not fair, but it's not any different than any other business really and it is in their right if they want to earn less or simply cover the cost of that fare. Charging MORE than the legal published rate, yes - that is dishonest and illegal.

DandyDon:
How many have hired a cab that was carrying a local already, or stopped for a local, who got out on the way to your destination without paying anything? :happywave:

They do pay UNLESS it is a family or friend riding along or someone they owe a favor to - whatever. But if they randomly pick up another fare along the way, they are also charged! IMO - the taxi is double dipping and should split the fare accordingly - but that's the way it is, I learned a long time ago. But they are not charging someone else for the other persons fare. When I get in the taxi after coming across on the ferry - I make it clear that I do not want to share the cab unless the fare is being shared - and I've never had an issue from that.

DandyDon:
Yep, agreed there. Sometimes they will quote too much then tho, so it's good to know the fair rate. Not that you can do anything other than walk or wait for the next one - and I bet they have a radio code for alerting each other of such hold outs that even Spanish speakers don't know.

Hahah! EVERYTHING is a conspiracy in your eyes! I've walked away from cabs before or waved down the next one when they are trying to charge too much and have never fell "victim" to the secret radio code"

DandyDon:
And if there are several cabs waiting outside of your cafe, Mega, wherever - I bet they all want the same price.

Yes, in fact Chedraui and Mega are virtually their own zone and catching a cab from one of these places actually has a 5 pesos up charge, just like calling for a taxi.

DandyDon:
* The same taxi monopoly that says that taxis cannot pick up at the airport, and each van will leave packed full of tourists paying as much each as the taxi fare would be otherwise.

Actually, no. The TAXI's don't say taxi's cannot pick-up at the airport - it is a contractual agreement with the van company so that there are other options for transportation. The taxi's would be picking up at the airport if the Shuttle company had not won that battle. the compromise was that vans can pick-up at the airport but cannot take you back, and taxi's are the only option back to the airport unless you have a rental car or a friend taking you.

I hadn't realized that before. I'd always thought the airport vans were part of the taxi collective.

Well they sort of are, but it's different - haha! Point is that it's not the taxi's preventing themselves from picking up at the airport, it's a concession they made with the shuttle co.

How does a bus system along the west side REDUCE employment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom