Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not seen many 2 dollar bills around lately.
You have to request them, and tellers often have to get them out of the back. They became unpopular because of a superstition, and just not circulated. US merchants never have a slot for them so will give them back out in change quickly, or just hide them for later. I think they're fun.
Since the $2 bill makes up such a small percentage of paper money in circulation, the public sometimes mistakes $2 bills for being counterfeit when used in financial transactions. There have been cases where arrests have been made, with the Secret Service later stepping in and stating that the bills are in fact legal tender.

Don't let him kid you, he has them buried in cans in the back yard.
You can buy them on ebay too, altho the prices are usually silly. This listing is not so bad: $10 worth, uncirculated, sequential, for $12.49 including shipping. 5X $2 Two Dollar Bill Uncirculated 2003A Consecutive F Atlanta | eBay

My bank ran out for a while and I pressed them into ordering some. Got them that way for a while, but they've all been around town now I guess. One in good shape with a red seal is worth a little more than face value.

:eek:fftopic:Couple questions off topic. Does anyone tip the taxi drivers?
I think for local rides to town maybe not but for a ride and wait on the wild side......hmmmm.

Why wouldn't you tip a taxi driver? People who can afford international travel can surely do so without financing it by cheating a few taxi drivers out of a few shillings can't they?

Why wouldn't you tip a taxi driver? People who can afford international travel can surely do so without financing it by cheating a few taxi drivers out of a few shillings can't they?
Because some of us view them as overpaid union members who control the market excessively, make enough for what they do, with some trying to charge tourists even more than they should? Ok, I liked Wet Wendy's suggestion: If they cab is clean, the AC is on, and the driver nice - tip.

I'll tip maids, porters, and servers as it encourages good service later - as well as them working hard, not making much, and besides - it's an accepted/expected program. I don't like tipping overall, but it can serve reasonable purposes. I'm still not clear why we tip DMs as much as we do instead of paying more and tipping less for good services, but it's the norm now and I guess it does ensure the customer's priorities at sea.

I try to tip on the first day of a multi-day stay at a hotel or multi-day use of a DM. The idea is for the service provider to see that I will tip and be incentivized to give great service for the rest of the trip in order to get (earn?) more. I do not understand dropping a big tip on the last day when you are never going to see someone again in your life.

I try to tip on the first day of a multi-day stay at a hotel or multi-day use of a DM. The idea is for the service provider to see that I will tip and be incentivized to give great service for the rest of the trip in order to get (earn?) more. I do not understand dropping a big tip on the last day when you are never going to see someone again in your life.

The purpose of a tip is an extra reward for good service. Do you always withhold the tip on the last day?

Never going to see them again? I am going to see them for the sixth time this year. They will remember if you tipped the last time .

Let's see.... $5.00 taxi ride....here comes the major financial decision of the year, which I guess you're worried might break you and possibly send you into bankruptcy.... do I give the taxi driver a couple of quarters or not? Yow! I feel everyone's pain on such a life altering financial decision.

Because some people tip others as a thank you for the service provided, not as an incentive to create your own personal indebted servant starting at the start of your vacation.

There are some people in the world who donate anonymously to charities also. There is one person who will walk by the Salvation Army kettle during Christmas and drop a Double Eagle gold piece in it while nobody is looking and there are others who will make a big show of "everyone, look at me, watch while I make my donation, can everybody see me?" Some people are self-less so people are obviously not.

I am changing my stance on not feeling sorry for taxi drivers on Cozumel, I truly do feel sorry for them having to provide service to cheap bastard tourists who have entire multiple point rationalizations prepared for denying some poor slob a buck. Don't you think you should seriously consider if a couple of bucks makes such a huge financial difference to you on vacation, maybe you can't afford to go on vacation?

Let's see.... $5.00 taxi ride....here comes the major financial decision of the year, which I guess you're worried might break you and possibly send you into bankruptcy.... do I give the taxi driver a couple of quarters or not? Yow! I feel everyone's pain on such a life altering financial decision.
Do you really tip with quarters on Coz? I don't think US Coins have much value there since the banks won't take them. Deb gets coins in Red Cross boxes and some of us buy those to take back.

Because some people tip others as a thank you for the service provided, not as an incentive to create your own personal indebted servant starting at the start of your vacation.

There are some people in the world who donate anonymously to charities also. There is one person who will walk by the Salvation Army kettle during Christmas and drop a Double Eagle gold piece in it while nobody is looking and there are others who will make a big show of "everyone, look at me, watch while I make my donation, can everybody see me?" Some people are self-less so people are obviously not.

I am changing my stance on not feeling sorry for taxi drivers on Cozumel, I truly do feel sorry for them having to provide service to cheap bastard tourists who have entire multiple point rationalizations prepared for denying some poor slob a buck. Don't you think you should seriously consider if a couple of bucks makes such a huge financial difference to you on vacation, maybe you can't afford to go on vacation?
That is quite a stretch comparing donating to charities to tipping drivers.

Yeah, I guess I've switched from "Never for taxis" to "If they cab is clean, the AC is on, and the driver nice - tip." I did last time, and I think I may have even tipped the sardine van driver for not dumping my bags at another stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom