Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They would slash your tires, break the windows out and beat it with baseball bats........be sure to tip them when they are done with your bus. :)

They would slash your tires, break the windows out and beat it with baseball bats........be sure to tip them when they are done with your bus. :)

This has already happened for a very similar reason... If my memory serves me they tore down a building too.

I don't know if I'm impressed or disturbed that this thread now has 17?! pages. Really, I'm just shocked it hasn't deteriorated into a discussion about dive ops and restaurants LOL

If anyone still cares, I these are the rates on the Cozumel Taxi Union site. They're all from the cruise ship piers so you'll need to adjust:

price

A whole quarter?
"I'll give you a whole quarter if you'll rub my feet." (grandma)
"Thanks Grandma" (Audrey)

Quote from Christmas Vacation.

Fellow gringos, tipping a cab driver a quarter is just crazy cheap. Tip em a buck or 2. Come on, what is a buck to you? Even if you take 10 cab rides a week, what is $20 in the overall cost of the trip?

A whole quarter?
"I'll give you a whole quarter if you'll rub my feet." (grandma)
"Thanks Grandma" (Audrey)

Quote from Christmas Vacation.

Fellow gringos, tipping a cab driver a quarter is just crazy cheap. Tip em a buck or 2. Come on, what is a buck to you? Even if you take 10 cab rides a week, what is $20 in the overall cost of the trip?

But if you feel like a buck or 2 is too much, then tip them whatever you feel is an appropriate amount in Pesos. Ya'll do use use Pesos when you're in Mexico, right? (Except for your diving bill). Try it, you might like it.

But if you feel like a buck or 2 is too much, then tip them whatever you feel is an appropriate amount in Pesos. Ya'll do use use Pesos when you're in Mexico, right? (Except for your diving bill). Try it, you might like it.
I don't. Last trip I was quite happy with my AI, only left a couple of times and was picked up then. I had a delightful trip and only used 2 drivers: to & from hotel. Yeah, tipped both a buck or two.

I don't. Last trip I was quite happy with my AI, only left a couple of times and was picked up then. I had a delightful trip and only used 2 drivers: to & from hotel. Yeah, tipped both a buck or two.

Yeah, makes sense.

Our approach is a bit different. We go to Mexico and dive, and you, (if I might be so presumptuous), go to Mexico to dive. I also recognize two things:

1) I'm (we're) in the minority (on this forum at least), and
2) The use of dollars in a country whose legal tender is not the dollar, is an issue of mine. I will ask for the readers understanding, and I will even apologize for offending, but I will not change. I will own several other obnoxious characteristics, and hundreds of other delightful ones.

Yeah, makes sense.

Our approach is a bit different. We go to Mexico and dive, and you, (if I might be so presumptuous), go to Mexico to dive. I also recognize two things:

1) I'm (we're) in the minority (on this forum at least), and
2) The use of dollars in a country whose legal tender is not the dollar, is an issue of mine. I will ask for the readers understanding, and I will even apologize for offending, but I will not change. I will own several other obnoxious characteristics, and hundreds of other delightful ones.
Oh, I think we all like the diving. Sometimes I will head off for other attractions. Been to the mainland to rent a car and explore various ruins a few times. Hire a Coz taxi to take us to the local ruins once, but wouldn't suggest that really. I often go alone tho, diving, last weeks Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, etc. as so often it's go alone or not. This & that.

If I go to Coz alone tho, hotel paid in USD, diving booked in dollars, most meals & drinks included, just not any reason to buy Pesos for me. 2 cabs rides and a lot of tipping - USDs work ok. Even a rental car I may book is quoted to me in USD, so ok. I really don't run into much need for Pesos until I get inland on mainland.

Canada, Ireland, Netherlands - I bought their money and learned it. Just not that needed in Coz, or any of a dozen island nations I've been to. Belize & Honduras were booked in dollars so I just tipped dollars.

I don't know you tipped ALL your drivers... And you know it is appropriate to give a little extra for drivers that give you a tour. :auto:

I don't think the locals look at it the same as you do and nobody is upsetting anyone by using dollars in a country where the countries government actually actively pursued measures to move in this direction and put the policies in place to willingly accept US dollars because they wanted to. The US dollars has unofficial status as being the world's currency, and just to put everybody to sleep with economic theory, but the US dollars has 3 levels of acceptance as a world currency the first being what's called dollarization, where the country uses the US dollar as their only currency, there is semi-dollarization where the US dollar is totally interchangeable with the local currency and there is unofficial dollarization where the currency is accepted and used but is not official recognized by the local government, in the world over 30% of the countries on it actively pursue one of these forms of dollarization by their own free will because of the economic benefits of it. Mexico began the process of dollarization way back in 1976 and they were the ones who started the process, it wasn't forced on them, they saw the economic benefits and the Mexican government pursued it.

This term of dollarization also applies to other currencies such as the Euro, in Europe there are countries that willingly accept their local currency and the Euro, in Asia their are countries that accept dollarization of their currencies with other Asian countries. Dollarization is looked upon by nations as a better way to transact foreign commerce with their neighbors and is not a bad thing but a good thing, as the world moves quickly to a global economy dollarization is looked at as a beneficial tool in the process.

So it's fine to have personal reasons for not 'forcing' a foreign currency on someone, but when it comes to Mexico there is no forcing involved, Mexico wants this and initiated it and pursues it, nobody should be accused of being ethnocentric when using dollars in Mexico, you are actually fitting in quite well and honoring the local customs since this is the local economic system that is accepted and they want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom