Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I tip with American quarters to Mexican cab drivers in Mexico and I tip with Pesos to American cab drivers in America, in England I tip with dental advice. Don, you don't seriously take everything so literally do you?

That is quite a stretch comparing donating to charities to tipping drivers.

It's not a stretch because it's referring to tipping mentality of why and how people tip. And sadly donations and tipping, it's probably more related than some want to admit, because I get the feeling tipping to some people is to them basically is a donation, something not required for completing the service transaction, but some kind of huge humanitarian recognition of "you have pleased me, now I will bestow a nickle upon you." To some people I guess unless the poor guy gives his fare a free tour of the city, a margarita, chips and salsa, sings a Mexican ballad, and blows fire balls out his butt, he hasn't done enough to deserve a tip. I got news for you guys, if you get in a guys cab, he doesn't pull a dutch oven on you, and just takes you where you want to go, you owe him a small gratuity, that's civilized society, and it's expected, if the guy did what he was supposed to do, he deserves the 2nd part of the transaction which is the tip. Don't get in the guys cab, don't go to a restaurant, don't give the sky cap your bags to check at the curb if you aren't going to tip them, it's part of the transaction as long as he does the minimum requirements of his part of it.

Dang, I sound like the tip police. I don't want to sound that way, but it is just mind blowing to me how stingy we've seem to become, maybe it's due to this recession, but I'm not sure it's fair to blame it on that.

Why wouldn't you tip a taxi driver? People who can afford international travel can surely do so without financing it by cheating a few taxi drivers out of a few shillings can't they?

It's not a matter of cheating the drivers. I don't tip because the taxi drivers are the Cozumel Mafia. Any company that threatens their monopoly is destroyed by them with fire and pick axes. Seriously, that is what they do. Why do you think that there is no bus from the southern hotels to town.. Yep, the taxi mafia won't allow it. Sure would cut down on traffic to have a few busses running, and be cheaper too!

Tipping is very subjective. Keep in mind tipping is not the norm in all cultures like in the US. I research the places I visit to find out what their culture is on different subjects. You might not agree with the below so google it and decide for yourself.

If you research "tipping taxi drivers in Mexico" this is what you find.

1. Mexicans don't tip taxi drivers. This is the norm.
2. Since the taxi's don't use any meters the tip is already included in the price.
3. If the driver wait's on you in a store, carries your bags, or does anything special then tip.

I will also add that if the taxi is using a 10 to 1 exchange rate you have left a great tip.

Bottom line is do whatever you think is right.

I found this during my research. "Tips" stand for "to ensure proper service." Before the percentage rule came about tips were given before ordering. Why? To ensure proper service.

Last edited:
The taxi union may be referred to as cozumel mafia, but imo the taxi driver trying to make a living and lucky to have a job isn't the mafia-the leaders of the union who are making all the money is the problem. I don't fault the drivers, they have to be part of the union.

I'm not sure what you do for a living Mike, but unless you are a cabbie or a waiter, I bet no one tips you. Why should they? Charity is charity. It has nothing to do with paying a person in business driving a cab or taking divers on a dive. If someone provides a service to me I am glad to tip above the agreed-upon price if I get service above what I purchased. If I want to give to Cozumel's needy, I would leave some books for kids with Christie or drop a donation at the Chabad house. We all have an obligation to give to charity to support those who cannot support themselves at home and abroad. If it eases your conscience to thnk that dropping a couple of quarters in a foreign currency to cab drivers sufficies for your charitable giving, G-d bless; but you have no basis to question or let alone to judge others'.

Yes, I tip with American quarters to Mexican cab drivers in Mexico and I tip with Pesos to American cab drivers in America, in England I tip with dental advice. Don, you don't seriously take everything so literally do you?
If I could read minds, I'd be married. :silly:

I did used to take quarters, half dollars, and dollar coins on international trips and it took me a long time to figure out how worthless they are beyond US border areas. I hope those poor folks made friends with other tourists who bought their coins. :blush:

I suppose my $2 bills are ok. Banks fly currency back to the US as needed and they fly easier than 2 - $1 bills. I'm sure coins are not allowed. At one time I had a coin dealer in Lubbock who would sell me copper sandwich Eisenhower dollars for $1.10 each and they were fun for domestic tipping but those have gone up too. :(

If he/she helps load/unload my bags on the way to the aeropuerto, or waits for me someplace, I'll tip, but not for a normal ride. I kind of don't mind the rate increase because of fuel costs, but wish the union wasn't so powerful as to make other transportation options unavailable. It is what it is, only complaining about my knees, which ain't what they used to be :( and make it a little harder to get around. Bus routes to beaches and stuff at more affordable rates would be nice. But, C'est la vie, still no place I'd rather be, and I do the best I can for the hotel staff, dive staff, restaurants, and wherever else I go.

If he/she helps load/unload my bags on the way to the aeropuerto, or waits for me someplace, I'll tip, but not for a normal ride. I kind of don't mind the rate increase because of fuel costs, but wish the union wasn't so powerful as to make other transportation options unavailable. It is what it is, only complaining about my knees, which ain't what they used to be :( and make it a little harder to get around. Bus routes to beaches and stuff at more affordable rates would be nice. But, C'est la vie, still no place I'd rather be, and I do the best I can for the hotel staff, dive staff, restaurants, and wherever else I go.

I've been to many islands and one thing I've always noticed is a common trait among many is the isolation of some of the best potential sites for beach bars / restaurants. Many, many islands seem to have the one issue of the best spots are not close to the tourist centers or there are many hotels spread out and transportation is an issue.

I'd always thought that if I owned a beach bar, for instance a place on Cozumel that would fit what I'm thinking of would be a place like the Money Bar, that I'd explore the option of creating my own 'bus' to bring people to it. Basically I always thought it would be cool if you purchased an old school bus and removed all the windows, painted it up all crazy, put some sweet rims on it and logo'd it up. Then had it run loops every 30 minutes or an hour up and down or around the island from open to close, picking up people from hotels or other places as a free shuttle back and forth to the bar to create your own steady stream of customers, you'd be rich in no time.

I think if I owned a bar on Cozumel and tried that, it sounds like the taxi union would shut it down.

Back
Top Bottom