Taxi Fare Increase is now official :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My main issue is that I have to wonder if I am being overcharged. Just put a rate sheet, zone to zone cost matrix, or equivalent and zone map visible in each taxi and that issue goes away.

Agreed Ron!!!

Oh Gordon I know you do, you just don't want to tell anybody about our bromance.

Now give me a cyber fist bump

$(KGrHqEOKj8E4pbs3UTGBOS5FwQlGw~~48_35.JPG
How about a cyber head butt? ;^)

---------- Post Merged at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:40 AM ----------

Count me somewhere in the middle.

I, too, am annoyed when taxi drivers play the "I don't have change" game to try to leverage more money out of me, and the taxi "exchange rate" in cabs being 10:1 when the rest of Mexico is closer to 15:1 is likewise irksome. I think it's unreasonable that a friend can't give me a lift to town without risking legal trouble.

but

Everyone who can afford to fly to Cozumel for a week is rich by their standards. If it costs me a couple of bucks more for a taxi ride to town, I'll get over it. It's a bit of a pain to always have a pocketful of coins and small bills in pesos, but I can do it. It's their country, not mine; if I don't like the way they run things there, I can stay home (but I won't).

I, too, am annoyed when taxi drivers play the "I don't have change" game

I always think "challenge accepted". My usual approach is to ask the driver to wait while I saunter away to get change somewhere. They always seem to find some change under the seat or somewhere.

I always think "challenge accepted". My usual approach is to ask the driver to wait while I saunter away to get change somewhere. They always seem to find some change under the seat or somewhere.
I have done that as well, but truthfully, I have other things to occupy my time on Cozumel to which I would rather devote my time and energy. Restaurants and big stores like Mega and Chedraui usually have no problem when I pass them back a large bill I am getting in change and ask for taxi change. And sometimes when a cabbie tells you he doesn't have change, he may actually be telling the truth.

I have met tons of taxi drivers on Cozumel over the years, and most of my encounters have been at least neutral experiences. Most cabbies have been friendly and few a have been helpful far beyond the call of duty. One day my wife and I were searching for an old friend who lived on the island (Beto Nunez, now deceased), and all we had was a vague address scribbled on a scrap of paper. He drove us around for an hour, going up to houses and speaking to people who had not a bit of English and to whom my rudimentary Spanish would have been unintelligible (not to mention that I would not have understood them, either), until we finally found Beto far back in a neighborhood that most visitors to the island, no matter how adventurous, will never see. He waited while we had our visit and took us back to our hotel. When I asked him how much we owed him, he asked for $15. I gave him $30. He earned it.

Do you guys have money clips? I've never noticed other men using theirs, maybe they're not common, but I'd hate to carry $1 bills in my billfold - and a money clip makes it easier to see at a glance that I have several from my safe stash before I leave the room, as well as avoid getting my billfold out for small transactions.

Meritline offers several, one offered today for $2 with free shipping: Meritline.com,money clip

It can get a little much when I carry $1s, $2 bills, and 10 Peso notes in the same clips, but doable.

I pay for taxis in pesos, and I frequently use 5 and 10 peso coins. Maybe I need to get one of those waistband change dispensers bus drivers used to wear. :D

I pay for taxis in pesos, and I frequently use 5 and 10 peso coins. Maybe I need to get one of those waistband change dispensers bus drivers used to wear. :D
Do you carry dollar coins at home? I forgot - they don't have 10 Peso bills anymore, and we shouldn't keep wasting so much printing $1 bills here - but we're not as modern as Canada and Mexico in that respect. Hmm, I guess I had 20 Peso notes mixed in my clip...? :confused:

:eek:fftopic:Couple questions off topic. Does anyone tip the taxi drivers?
I think for local rides to town maybe not but for a ride and wait on the wild side......hmmmm.
Second speaking of no change, I have a few larger peso notes 500's and 200's. Where might be a good place to exchange for something smaller.:focus:

I think I have tipped taxi drivers more times than I have called for police on them, but not common.

Why would it be difficult to break a 500 Peso bill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom