Tanks meeting CE and DOT standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321: Thanks. Some info and thought in there.
Still doesn't mean a tank could not meet both specs for all technical spects of the specs, but I guess I can see how it might get difficult for the bureaucratical profing and traceability aspects and which burocracy trusts which testing and certification enterprise to certify what and to trace what...
Does it really matter in any way. No, not really. Fair point.
I just want to understand better. But it does not really matter.
If someone ended up explaining what the actual specs state and what it means and where the differences are and why and what and... I might be happy as a clam to understand and then even I could talk about it... and it still would not really matter. Very fair point you make there.
But it does not really have to matter in some deep way or otherwise - or?
Anyway, I refer to the first sentence of the first post in the thread.
That's all I am trying to do. No deeper purpose...
In theory it could be done. Its already done in North America - most cylinders are dual certified by US DOT and TC (Transport Canada) But that's been pretty easy because TC basically adopted DOT rules, not unlike when DOT inherited ICC rules.

But certification and paperwork is a significant expense. So for across ocean purposes you are dramatically increasing the costs with essentially zero market that wants to buy dual (or more) spec tanks.

One needs to understand that CE was developed to protect European manufacturers. I was there when it started up and Europe tried everything it could to keep foreigner companies out .

One needs to understand that CE was developed to protect European manufacturers. I was there when it started up and Europe tried everything it could to keep foreigner companies out .
Luxfer makes CE and US DOT tanks, but they are more of an international company than US per se.
Faber makes both, but being Italian they had an inside track to CE approval.
Anyone else make both? (even if they aren't the same exact cylinder)

In theory it could be done. Its already done in North America - most cylinders are dual certified by US DOT and TC (Transport Canada) But that's been pretty easy because TC basically adopted DOT rules, not unlike when DOT inherited ICC rules.

But certification and paperwork is a significant expense. So for across ocean purposes you are dramatically increasing the costs with essentially zero market that wants to buy dual (or more) spec tanks.
@rjack321: Thanks for that (trying to answer the question)... almost thought for a few posts there that I must have inadvertently asked a question about religion or politics or such...

All: been gone for a while. Did not mean to ignore this thread. Replying out of politeness, not to keep the train wreckt alive...
Anyway, thanks for all you input. It's proven to be a much less straightforward thing to ask about than originally thought..

Rhode Diver, my intent was not to put anyone off. It was to focus the thread back to what I asked. Speculation as much as I like to engage in it myself (while I am into engineering, I am common folk myself and have nothing to do with pressure vessel design, or design for diving at all) ... speculation won't really answer the question. Am I wrong in trying to focus the thread? Maybe. Am I wrong in hoping to find someone here really in the know and also in a position to share? Maybe. But manufacturers often have reasons not to share, or reasons to share something other than the real core reason behind something.
And (prior to posting) I did contact one manufacturer of rebreathers and they sell small (diluent) tanks I think under their brand brand name (for either CE or US approval), but they did not reply. So I thought I ask here. But why would me having or not having asked a manufacturer have to preclude me from asking here on the tanks forum anyway?
I would not have tried to refocus this thread had I not started it. I can only hope it would be OK to seek the answer here. If indeed not, I am willing to delete my posts to the matter.... but haven't looked into how to do that. But why would you suggest there is no space for me with my question on this forum?
a cylinder manuf and a rebreather manuf are quite different regards their knowledge of cylinders. Just saying...

a cylinder manuf and a rebreather manuf are quite different regards their knowledge of cylinders. Just saying...
Very true. I originally had asked Poseidon if the 3l tanks for their rebreathers would / could be available in a form satisfying multiple regulations e.g. for Europe and the US... Why in the world I then became so curious so as to ask in a generic for all tanks form here, I cannot answer myself at this point...

Very true. I originally had asked Poseidon if the 3l tanks for their rebreathers would / could be available in a form satisfying multiple regulations e.g. for Europe and the US... Why in the world I then became so curious so as to ask in a generic for all tanks form here, I cannot answer myself at this point...
actually what I was saying is check with a cylinder manuf for cylinder info versus a rebreather manuf if you want the full details on certifications/regulations etc.

While the rebbreather manuf may have more than a passing knowledge (may) they are unlikely to have a comprehensive one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom