Taking tanks on airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning on bringing a Faber 108 tank back with me from Miami soon, ( as those who have been following my other thread here already know), and found out that shipping said tank by UPS is about 40 bucks one way:11: ..(oh well, it IS 42 lbs.) That tips the scale a little the other way, untill I thought "why not fly it with me?" I have luggage capacity for this easily, but then the rules about transporting scuba cylinders by air came to mind. Now, I know this has changed, but I am not sure what the current situation is. A search of this forum didn't show anything that wasn't a couple of years old, and I wonder what the rules are now? I am using American Airlines, if that matters, but I suppose that it really is a TSA thing. Anybody tried this recently, or have any information? Thanks a bunch-you guys are the most reliable source of answers that I have ever seen:hug2: Woody

Hey woody, Phone the airline you are flying with and ask them.. I think all airlines are different.
chris

Not sure about the airlines but did you check with the Postal Service about shipping it? They are usually less expensive than UPS and they deliver 6 days a week. Shipping confirmation/tracking is available too. Might want to check them out before dealing with the airlines :D
Ber :lilbunny:

The TSA rule on tanks is that the valve must be removed.

If they do allow you to check your tank. I believe that not only must the tank be empty but also that the valve has to be removed.

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?content=090005198005fee0

Transporting Scuba Equipment

Some scuba gear can be transported on-board the aircraft. Please refer to the guidelines below:

Regulators, Buoyancy Compensators and mask, snorkel and fins are all acceptable as checked or carry-on baggage.
A compressed gas cylinder is allowed in carry-on or checked baggage ONLY if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e. the cylinder has an open end). The cylinder must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection inside. TSA Security Screeners will NOT remove the seal/regulator valve from the cylinder at the checkpoint. If the cylinder is sealed (i.e. the regulator valve is still attached), the cylinder is prohibited and not permitted through the security checkpoint, regardless of the reading on the pressure gauge indicator. TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Knives and tools are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.
Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage.

On an operation in Mexico we took tanks via the Airline, we bled the tanks down and removed the valves (packing them seperately in a cary-on), covered the valve opening with clear packing tape, allowing for visual inspection but keeping dust and critters out, and packed the tanks in several duffels.

A few years ago I took a pony bottle with me to Maui. I called the airlines and checked it out before and was assured that there would be no problems and no additional cost.

When I got to the airport I was told that there was an additional charge for scuba cylinders. No amount of explaining that I had checked before made a difference, I either paid them the special fee or I would need to abandon the cylinder. I paid the fee at the airport to get my pony there, but I shipped it back. It would almost have been cheaper for me to buy a pony on Maui use it for two weeks and give it away before leaving the island.

$40 seems like a reasonable amount to ship one cylinder for someone who does not have a large shipping discount. I would say factor that cost into your price and make your decision to buy or rent. I would certainly ship slow by ground, and I might choose to remove the valve myself and take it on the plane. Remember, if you want to use the cylinder when you get back home you will need to reinstall the valve and you might be forced to get the cylinder inspected for another $10 before your local shop will fill it. If you remove the valve just put it in a ziplok bag inside your luggage, don't let it collect lint.

Put all of the costs and hassle in a blender, mix it up and make your choice to rent or buy. I would ship the cylinder for sure, don't gamble on the airline, you could get whacked with extra baggage charges as well as "special cylinder" type charges.

Mark Vlahos

Mark has a valid point...

Also, if you ship it UPS... be sure to insure it for $200 which will cost you an extra $2 I think. This way, if they damage the tank, you can get another. IF the airline screws up your tank (if you took it on the plane) then you'll have a heck of a time getting satisfaction from them.

WOODMAN:
I am planning on bringing a Faber 108 tank back with me from Miami soon, ( as those who have been following my other thread here already know), and found out that shipping said tank by UPS is about 40 bucks one way:11: ..(oh well, it IS 42 lbs.) That tips the scale a little the other way, untill I thought "why not fly it with me?" I have luggage capacity for this easily, but then the rules about transporting scuba cylinders by air came to mind. Now, I know this has changed, but I am not sure what the current situation is. A search of this forum didn't show anything that wasn't a couple of years old, and I wonder what the rules are now? I am using American Airlines, if that matters, but I suppose that it really is a TSA thing. Anybody tried this recently, or have any information? Thanks a bunch-you guys are the most reliable source of answers that I have ever seen:hug2: Woody

I'd just ship it and be done with it. Given the cost of a vacation and dive gear in general it's not worth the hassle of lugging it in and out of the airports, let alone the cylinder transport requirements. $40 and it arrives on your doorstep.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom