Taking tanks on airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An interesting quirk here- it appears that if I can get them to ship the tank (or anything) to a business address instead of my residential address, that the cost drops to about 28 bucks! Interesting, no? Now if I can just get a local business to accept the delivery for me...

WOODMAN:
An interesting quirk here- it appears that if I can get them to ship the tank (or anything) to a business address instead of my residential address, that the cost drops to about 28 bucks! Interesting, no? Now if I can just get a local business to accept the delivery for me...
How are you planning on shipping this? I have a UPS account and have for years, and generally, the difference in Commercial vs. Residential is only $1 - 2 depending on how rural it is. Also... don't forget that UPS charges are not just for weight, but for dimensions as well... I would price it out at ups.com if you haven't already.

UPS.com is where I got the price figures from. I ran into this awhile ago when I shipped something from a UPS store, and there was a signifigant difference then also depending on whether the delivery address was residential or commercial. They were quite upfront about it, actually, and asked if I could swing things this way. On small shipments it is not worth the bother, of course, but up at these levels....Oh by the way, I think it was slightly MORE than $40 for the residential delivery.

WOODMAN:
UPS.com is where I got the price figures from. I ran into this awhile ago when I shipped something from a UPS store, and there was a signifigant difference then also depending on whether the delivery address was residential or commercial. They were quite upfront about it, actually, and asked if I could swing things this way. On small shipments it is not worth the bother, of course, but up at these levels....Oh by the way, I think it was slightly MORE than $40 for the residential delivery.

A common misconception about UPS stores is that they belong to UPS. They are independent franchises. If you have a problem shipping through them, UPS will tell you that you must go through them to get any refund. And you think dealing with the government has red tape? eyebrow

Since as you can see by my avatar I fly for them, let me add a small note.

If you are shipping anything that can remotely be classified as HAZMAT, DECLARE IT!!!
It will be much cheaper in money and time if you try to ship undeclared hazmat and there is a problem. We just had a plane catch fire in flight (about the only thing that REALLY scares most pilots) from undeclared hazmat. This is extremely serious. When they find out who, what etc. there will be very large fines and JAIL time.

I ship heavy-ish computer equipment on a semi-regular basis to various places in the continental US. FedEx Ground is almost always cheaper vs. UPS Ground and the delivery schedules seem to be much more reliable. If you can ship to a business address (this assumes there will be someone there to get the package vs. multiple residential delivery attempts) you can always get a better rate.

The stuff I've shipped to Hawaii or Alaska has about a 50% success rate, insure any freight going there.

If you can't find anyone (business) to ship it to you can send it to me and then come and pick it up I live in the area. Or send it to your LDS if you are in good with them. PM if interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom