Swampers BBQ update and current info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This thread is a compilation of info taken from the original thread. It's gotten so long it's hard to find info in it so hopefully I've pulled out the pertinent stuff.

The Scubaboard sponsored BBQ will take place on Sat., October 16 at the Backdraft Restaurant in Highlands. They are closing the restaurant for our private party from 4-8pm. On the menu is brisket, ribs, suasage, potato salad, cole slaw, beans, bread, pickles, onions, tea and water. The meal is free, tabs will be run for your drinks other than tea and anything else you may order. No alcohol is served but you can BYOB. There's a convenience store right next door. The gratuities will be left up to the attendees.

Please go ---->To The CALENDAR, look on Oct. 16th to sign up on the Calendar so I'll know you are coming. since the calendar only let's us list ourselves, if there will be more than yourself in your party, please post here and/or PM me with how many to expect.

For those of you with map programs, the address is 411 S. Main St., Highlands, Tx, 77562 in case you want to track the route from your hotel or the convention center. Don has posted maps from the Convention Center to the restaurant --->HERE.

For those of you still needing hotels, DiverG looked up some hotels and their rates from the surrounding area ....
All these hotels are in NW Houston and anywhere from 10-15 miles from downtown. I do not think these prices include our hefty hotel taxes of around 15%( I think).

La Quinta 11002 NW Freeway 11.0 miles 713-688-2581 $53-68/night

Super 8 Brookhollow 5655 W. 34th 11.0 miles 713-688-6800$38-43/night

Days Inn(West Houston) 9535 Katy Freeway 12.2 miles 713-467-4411 $38-42/night

Days Inn 7887 W. Tidwell 14.2 miles 713-690-1493 $44-69/night

These are some hotels in Baytown, 5 min. from the BBQ and about 20min from the Convention Center, all located on or within 1 block from I-10. I haven't called for prices but they are generally in the $40-80 range.
Baymont Inn -
local - 281-421-7300
toll free reservations - 1-877-229-6668

Best Western
local - 281-421-2233
toll free reservations - 1-800-528-1234

La Quinta
local - 281-421-5566
toll free reservations - 1-800-531-5900

Holiday Inn Express
local - 281-421-7200

Hampton Inn
local - 281-421-1234

Don reported he's staying at the Homestead Galleria, as that's where NetDoc and SB Central is - a suite for $67 night. http://www.homesteadhotels.com/

We're going to need some of you locals to help serve as a shuttle service, especially any of you who will be at DEMA on Saturday. Pete will have a rent car, DiverG has offered but we still need more transportation so if you can help, please let me know.

This function is 3 weeks from today! Watch this thread for last minute updates.

Hey Netdoc/Dee, is the BBQ only for current Scubaboarders, or can we use it to recruit some of our scubadiving friends to join our community?

Recruit as see fit. :D It's a big board, and I don't mind meeting "future" members.

You will also get to meet "Tech Admin"... who is that mysterious man behind the moniter? :D

Greg, if you invite someone please post it or PM me so I can keep up with how many to expect. We're sort of limited on space, but we could always spill out into the parking lot and make it a tailgate party after all!

Our family will be unable to make it, and my name is on the list- wanted to remind you not to plan BBQ for us. I know you'll all have a wonderful time.

Foo

Dee, my offer to help with transportation, accommodations, etc still stands. Either direct them to PM me, or let me know how I can help.

Maria

Foo:
Our family will be unable to make it, and my name is on the list- wanted to remind you not to plan BBQ for us. I know you'll all have a wonderful time.

Foo

Foo, and anyone else who can't go......be sure and go to the calendar and remove your name. Just click on the [I will no longer be attending this event] thing under the list of names.

Dee:
Foo, and anyone else who can't go......be sure and go to the calendar and remove your name. Just click on the [I will no longer be attending this event] thing under the list of names.

Oh thank you! I tried to figure out how to change it, but I didn't know how. I'll go do that now.

Foo

Oh, just in case anyone else is trying to decide between a hotel near DEMA, or a hotel further out and a rental car, and wondering how much hassle parking will be, I called the convention center and they said there is plenty of parking adjacent the hall, for $7 a day.

If anyone can confirm this please do.

Back
Top Bottom