Trip Report Dominica: Travel Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a group to dive in Dominica many blue moons ago. I didn't find the diving there anything special or worth the travel time and hassle to get there. I believe that they have sightings of shark whales in the winter (February time IIRC) but nothing else special. We were doing morning and afternoon dives and few night dives. The dive operation was excellent, managed by "Kurt Nose." I believe that he left Dominica and is working somewhere else now.

Few of my group went on an all day hiking trip that turned out to be a trip to hell and back. The positive side were the awesome tasting fruit juices we had there. Once I tasted their banana juice and lemonade, never had any other beverage for the rest of the time we were there.

Definitely not a "go back to" destination.

What was so bad about the hiking trip? Since the option for rain forest hikes is one of Dominica's selling points, that would be good to know.

What was so bad about the hiking trip? Since the option for rain forest hikes is one of Dominica's selling points, that would be good to know.

I didn't go on the hiking trips, it isn't my thing but the feedback was they were extremely challenging, tiring, unending, etc. I suppose for people who are really into this type of thing, it is a must do.

Nice report - thanks! It's great to see all the little details nailed down. :)

My questions are specifically about Ft Young. Did you do any of the excursions offered in the AI? And did you do any shore diving from there? I was just looking at their website and unlimited shore diving is included in the AI, so I was thinking we could take advantage of the excursions (we're usually all dive-dive-dive) and dive on our own schedule. R says he'd like to do some boat diving just to get a feel for the topography above and below the water - but we do macro, so shore diving is generally a great way for us to blow some bubbles.

Nice report - thanks! It's great to see all the little details nailed down. :)

My questions are specifically about Ft Young. Did you do any of the excursions offered in the AI? And did you do any shore diving from there? I was just looking at their website and unlimited shore diving is included in the AI, so I was thinking we could take advantage of the excursions (we're usually all dive-dive-dive) and dive on our own schedule. R says he'd like to do some boat diving just to get a feel for the topography above and below the water - but we do macro, so shore diving is generally a great way for us to blow some bubbles.
It is a good shore dive, with decent macro possibilities, but if a cruise ship is in you need a DM in the water with you.
At least one of the expeditions is worthwhile, to Titou (sp?) Gorge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom