January 2023 Puerto Galera / Sabang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johncn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

We have had a nice stay in Puerto Galara so far, so thought I would give a couple personal observations. Your mileage may vary, as they say! We stayed at Lalaguna Villas (LLV), which has really expanded and improved some aspects since our last visit in late 2019, but will do a separate summary at the resort itself.

Weather has been cool and cloudy / rainy, but warming up today, it seems. Water temperature has been around 25 C (77 F) within a degree or two in Fahrenheit.

Looking at my dive logs, viz has been between 5 and 12 meters with the rain and moderate chop. I am not an expert at meters, frankly, but those are the numbers dive staff told me after dives, so I wrote it down!

Tourists are starting to return. Especially last week and weekend, there was quite a bit of activity for Chinese New Year. Most tourists at our property have been Chinese or Korean, a few Europeans, and a smattering of other nationalities. We met maybe three other Americans on dives, and all were expats (one from Korea and another couple from Singapore). Note that we only dove with one shop.

Many of the local dive shops, bars and restaurants are clearly targeting Korean and Chinese customers based on signage, and food item selections at the small shops and grocery store. Those nationalities will find plenty of familiar food, drink and entertainment.

The newly renovated ferry terminal in Batangas is nice…LCD monitors and everything! You have to walk a good way from Si-Kat (we used it this time) bus drop off with your bags as a group, get inside, then go through security screening / X-Ray checkpoint. The porters will assist you if you let them, but will expect a tip. We generally carry our own stuff.

Si-Kat was fine for us. Usual AC equipped tourist bus, with cargo bays for gear, and we bought online in advance for 1550 PHP($28 USD) each. Yes, we have done much cheaper public transport from Manila to Batagans and PG - most recently for less that $10 USD all in each - but wanted to try Si-Kat. We left from the Citystate Tower Hotel in Ermita at 9:30 AM, and we were in Batagangas about noon with traffic. Bathroom stop on the expressway, and they sold food and water onboard, but we did not buy any. Get there at least 45 minutes early and be aware they have assigned seats.

Ferry schedule I posted in the other "Easy Ferry Schedule" thread is a rough approximation. It varies daily, however, and some days smaller ferries / Fastcats are not allowed to travel due to PAGASA gale warnings…even when nothing approaching a gale is happening. Today is a gale warning, and the actual is maybe E 10 knots with gusts to maybe 18 knots now and then, and a bit choppy with a 1.5 meter-ish swell. 🤷‍♂️ Not sure if the ferries are going today, but the water taxis were this morning...so probably a good sign. The good news is that the RoRos (larger ferries capable of carrying vehicles - roll on / roll off) still go in most conditions. The ferry schedule is usually shared with resorts and hotels lasts in the afternoon for the next day. We were on the Island Water Fastcat. It was pretty crowded, likely due to CNY.

004C1D46-0FA4-4217-9F78-594C0EC5E692.jpeg

There is a "Touris QR Code" that is expected when you land in Balatero Port (the only port open to ferries currently). To be clear, this is not COVID-related, and the app they have to create the codes is, well, rudimentary and not particularly functional. Our resort handled the request to the authorities after we sent them scans of passports, and they email us our QR codes the night before the trip from Manila. However, some resorts says you don't need this, and we did see that there were lines for Residents / Tourists with QR Code / Tourists Without QR Code. The last one seemed to have staff to assist with reservations / confirmation of status and issuing a code. So...it's not a deal breaker if you don't have it, but I think we're supposed to have one. :wink:

The Baltero Port area is between White Beach (west) Sabang (east). A trike for the two of us and our gear was 300 PHP to Sabang Pier. You can negotiate, but we didn’t.

0B8D0694-04A0-49E2-9E84-F6FC6004E392.png

There is now at least one working ATM in Sabang…in the alley by the discos and clubs. I watched someone make a withdrawal. 🤣. Most ATMs in the Philippines limit withdrawals to10,000 PHP (~ $183) per transaction. Credit cards are still not generally accepted in shops and restaurants or bars in Puerto Galera. A few exceptions exist, but bring cash.

475B422B-E880-414A-9017-1FE27A0FB88E.jpeg

1973738F-86F1-4465-846A-9F4A5CCE3625.jpeg

The new Bay Walk / Bay Wall (heard both) project along the Sabang waterfront is progressing nicely! I think will really add a positive “malecon” vibe, and is mostly poured now. They seem to be finishing up the main surface now. You can see the resorts on the end closer to The Point Bar (El Galleon) spiffing things up, and renovating and new businesses popping up in anticipation of a more positive scene for walking / people watching. 👍🏻

The walkway is roughly where the red dotted lines extend from the central Sabang Pier area. The resorts to the left in Small Lalaguna and Big Lalaguna area are reached by footpath or speedboat pickup at the pier. The pier is more of a idea than a structure. There is the stub of a pier and gangplank that goes down to floating platform that is used for getting in and out of boats. Be careful if attempting to carry gear down this plank!

BD4DE446-6171-44D3-B16B-395FC882319F.png

Pictures here are mostly from the less finished East End of the waterfront (right side if facing the Sabang pier / water from town). The West End has Atlantis Resort (very nice!), Captain Gregg’s (worth a look), a few newly updated bars with balconies for drinks and people watching, as well as the narrow accessway to the clubs / alleys in town. If you continue West, it turns into a footpath that goes to The Point Bar / El Galleon (still looks good and was busy). The East End has more rudimentary resorts and rooming options. There is a nice Korean BBQ Restaurant on the East End waterfront there that was busy. The West End was busier and seemed more updated, but the East End is just now getting concrete poured, so who knows what a few months will show?

FE17696C-A3D7-4251-BF0C-AAF88A2DEA02.jpeg

4E2A9DFC-4C81-4E11-B03B-9C71944A5363.jpeg

CD1C81D5-7AF6-4A2A-9867-1EE6849547EE.jpeg

6578578D-D0DD-4220-8816-B0E1D5C36084.jpeg

There are now not one, but TWO floating bars in Sabang! Each has their own boatman. A pleasant way to watch the sunset. Note that Happy Hour is 3-5, I believe, so before Happy Hour in most bars. My wife and I liked the first one pictured (Bikini Bar) for its friendlier staff. You could taste vodka in the drinks. It has a diving platform. The other one (Floating Bar) had several pretty bargirls the Friday night we visited, but was far less friendly to a married couple like us. 🤷‍♂️ it has a water slide, though, which looked fun! If there was vodka in our drinks, neither of us could detect it. Your experience could be different. Try them both.

ABC857C4-13B3-449E-A898-539E6BAF5048.jpeg

6E16EABE-D1AE-4071-A760-56C1F9524C3D.jpeg

That’s about it for now, but hope this is helpful!

Regards,

JohnCn

Attachments

• 521B9E3D-BBC0-4F47-A33E-13A5A01E95AC.jpeg
    521B9E3D-BBC0-4F47-A33E-13A5A01E95AC.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 46606810-7305-480F-8F08-6A9FCBF93167.jpeg
    46606810-7305-480F-8F08-6A9FCBF93167.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 0D80F3BE-B737-42B8-9A49-3D3AA1C268E4.jpeg
    0D80F3BE-B737-42B8-9A49-3D3AA1C268E4.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 70
Both Korea and china has the same day for New Year so it is appropriate(politically correct) to call it Lunar New Year. There were few incidence in various places where some chinese did not like the term Lunar New Year and went on to vandalize the sign. PATHETIC.

I believe the order to stop the ferry comes from Batangas. It is impossible to know in advance but I always start early for the crossing from PG. If in doubt I travel to Calapan because it is the major port in Oriental Mindoro and the boats are bigger. Always keep close eyes on weather while in PG.
Water taxi is nice but the charge is rather steep unless there are few other to share but then you still need private transport to leave that place.
P300.00 for two with bags from Balatero to Sabang is perfectly acceptable. P50.00 usually mean nothing to tourist but it is a meal or kg of rice for the local.

I have Tourist QR code for my last visit but never checked and this time I am travelling(pretty soon) with only hotel reservation but no QR code!!!

Thanks for the write up and taking the time to post. Much appreciated and interesting to see the new developments and improvements. Looking forward to any additional posts about where you are staying and the diving. All the best!

Same as looking at a late May/June visit as a way into the Philippines and a change from Bali/Red Sea
Tubbattaha LoB? But it is toward the end of the season.
PG is fine but Southern Leyte is better unfortunately/fortunately getting there is time consuming.

If you like photography then Anilao + PG is my suggestion.

Great update and I am headed there in a month…lots of improvements since my last visit just before covid. I dive a small shop in small laguna and I am not prejudice or bias but I prefer this shop. The other shops have lots of Chinese and Korean divers who drink heavily and smoke like chimneys. I couldn’t care less what they do but I don’t want to be in a group and have a diver in distress due to this. Unfortunately a few divers lost there ie Verde Island happened to be Chinese divers who skills level were not up to dive there. Can’t wait to get back blowing some bubbles

Great update and I am headed there in a month…lots of improvements since my last visit just before covid. I dive a small shop in small laguna and I am not prejudice or bias but I prefer this shop. The other shops have lots of Chinese and Korean divers who drink heavily and smoke like chimneys. I couldn’t care less what they do but I don’t want to be in a group and have a diver in distress due to this. Unfortunately a few divers lost there ie Verde Island happened to be Chinese divers who skills level were not up to dive there. Can’t wait to get back blowing some bubbles
1. You are probably meant either Action or the French one(ex Blue Ribbon).
2. Korean tend to dive with their own so not a real issue.
3. chinese is a bit more difficult to avoid.I just told the operator that I do not want to share a boat with them.
4. russians are in town!

05 Feb
A lot of dive boats in the area.
Kelimar Steps, 25C, murky water and a thresher shark at relatively deeper water ie. 25m.

They are there.
Good luck.

I have decided to sit out the last two days of this diving trip because the vis was AWFUL. Nothing can compensate it.

1. You are probably meant either Action or the French one(ex Blue Ribbon).
2. Korean tend to dive with their own so not a real issue.
3. chinese is a bit more difficult to avoid.I just told the operator that I do not want to share a boat with them.
4. russians are in town!
Yes I only dive with Action a small
shop, great folks. Yea Russians have been there before have to escape their own country to have freedom

Back
Top Bottom