Trip Report St. Eustatius (Statia) Trip Report – July 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TLBoehnke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My first dive trip report for this website. I’ve read so many helpful dive trip reports in the past 25 tears and figured it was my turn to pay back this group with a report on this little island. The locals simply refer to the island as ‘Statia’. It is located between Saba to the north and St. Kitts to the south.

General Island Description:
After Christopher Columbus sited the island in 1493, the island changed hands at least 22 times among the British, French and Dutch. In 1636, the Dutch took possession and made St. Eustatius a duty-free island in 1756. This free port status, its naturally deep harbor, and the perfect geographic location between Europe and America, made St. Eustatius (Statia) one of the busiest ports in the world. Over 3,000 merchant ships visited Statia between 1775 and 1800, and on any given day, there were more than 300 ships anchored offshore. At that time, the tiny island supported over 20,000 people and earned its title, ‘The Golden Rock’. The island is much less inhabited now. The wooden ships that sank offshore during storms helped create the foundation for many coral and sponge formations for divers to enjoy now. When you walk around St. Eustatius, you find evidence of the rich past everywhere. The ruins of the oceanfront warehouses are all over Lower town (by the water) and there are several historical places of interest to visit. What you won’t find are crowds or chain businesses. I found the locals to be genuinely approachable, friendly, and helpful.
St. Eustatius’ landscape is dominated by the 2,000-foot tall extinct volcano on the south end of the island, known as The Quill. According to volcanologists, The Quill is one of the most perfectly shaped volcanoes in the world. The Quill, together with Boven at the north side of the island were designated National Parks in 1998 and are managed by Stenapa. When you hike up the Quill, you encounter different vegetation zones, with a highlight of the dense forest in the crater. These two volcanoes’ eruption and lava flows into the ocean created the other unique Caribbean habitat of coral structures growing on ‘rivers’ of lava flow that stand anywhere from 3 feet to 30 feet above the ocean floor.

Getting There:
The only commercial flights to Statia are two per day from St. Maarten (morning and dusk). There is ferry service between St. Kitts, Statia, and Saba; so you can transfer between those islands by boat service. My flight into St. Maarten was not convenient for a quick transfer to a Statia flight, so I decided to stay on St. Maarten for three extra days and explore this very unique and fun island. I then flew to Statia for eight days of secluded, pristine diving.

Dive Operations and Lodging:
There is only one fully operating dive company on the island – Scubaqua Dive Center. Owned and operated by a Dutch couple – Marieke and Mike, it is one of the best dive operations I have experienced and a big reason I was motivated to write this report. Everything you’d consider important about a remote dive operation, they performed extremely well. From safety briefings, listening to diver input, and graphically descriptive dive briefings, to the friendly and helpful nature of the dive masters. They have approximately 12 dive masters who rotate working, depending on how many divers they have. Scuabqua has two dive boats, one that accommodates up to 25 people (including crew) and another smaller boat that can carry up to 15. All the dive sites are just minutes away so they come back after each dive. There were eight divers (plus crew) on the boat during my first four days, and only four of us my last four days. Quiet, personal diving. There is a part-time dive operator on the island – Golden Rock, but they are affiliated with the one ‘posh’ resort higher up on the island and were not operating during the eight days I was diving.
Scubaqua is located on the water and the Old Gin House hotel is directly across the street and is the most convenient lodging for diving and dining. Scubaqua is affiliated with most or all the lodging on the island, so you can arrange your diving and lodging through their representative(s). The Old Gin house has single, hotel-like rooms in back that are ‘okay’ or ‘meh’, but good enough for sleep and washing up for singles. They have a very nice, larger room directly in front with the door facing the road. I was lucky to stay there. There are also specialty suites located on the water and they are large and nicely furnished, with awesome balcony views.
Across from the Old Gin House and conveniently next to Scubaqua are the two main and best restaurant/bars. The Wine House serves superb meals and appetizers, with a beautiful patio overlooking the water. The Old Gin House restaurant, serves up quality and diverse breakfasts, lunches and dinners. These two restaurants sometimes rotate their hours on opening and closing. Some nights they’ll have barbeque or other specials. A few hundred meters’ walk down to the end of the commercial pier, is a large food truck and bar that serves great bar food and drinks – pizza, BBQ, hot sandwiches and hamburgers from lunch until late a night. I had several fun lunches and evenings down there, with all the partying locals. Well lit, and good table accommodations on the waterfront where the ferries come and go. There are a few more small diners and a general store up on the hill in town above the water.

Diving:
With the exception of two large wreck dives, almost all the dive profiles are “descend to bottom at around 50 feet and stay there until time to come up for decompression safety stop”. This flat profile at 50 feet makes it more helpful to dive with Nitrox and Scubaqua encourages it and provides it at no cost.
There are approximately 27 designated dive sites with buoys that the boat attaches to while diving. The dives seemed to vary with current, but usually there was a strong current during descent, so most times we had to hang on to the buoy line while going down in order not to float away. Some of the buoy lines were new and clean, but some had barnacles and I cut my hands a few times. They discourage glove wearing and are very sensitive to the environment, but allow it for this purpose of avoiding hand hazards.
The dive sites seem to be distinctly different in three areas. Sites in the south are all based on lava ‘river’ flows that created the foundation for coral growth. Here you’ll find formations sticking up that are 5 to 25 feet tall, with most having many ledges to look under for critters. These sites have names like Humps, Cliffs, Ledges 1 & 2, and Blocks all good dives. I found most of my time spent looking under ledges. Some occasions we had little or no current and would stay on one site. A couple of times there was strong current so we drifted three of the sites and the boat followed. We were the only divers in the water!
The dive sites located more off the center of the island are in a sandy sea grass area where at 50 feet deep, many 18th century ships were anchored and sunk, and created nice linear coral mounds of 1 to 4 feet tall. The ships are rotted away now, but helped create these unique sites with lots of fauna. What are left are numerous large anchors and thousands of ballast stones that look like large bricks scattered about. There were many wooden ship wrecks on top of one another, so some of these sites have names like Anchor Point, Double Wreck, and Triple Wreck. There are two large modern sunken ships but I’m not a wreck nut, so I only did one modern wreck dive. They were sunk about 25 years ago. These two wrecks are 100 feet dive profiles. Most wreck divers rave about them.
The volcano to the north of the island spewed less hot lava, so instead of lava flows, there are lava boulders of 5 to 30 feet tall scattered around. My favorite dive site for fish and creature abundance/variety is called Aquarium and is an area of large volcanic boulders immediately north of the commercial fuel ship pier. I was not able to dive the other sites up north, due to currents at the time.
I will look forward to returning but will probably divide my time between Statia and Saba, and just transfer via the ferry. They are quite different.

Pros: Stepping back in time to a peaceful, secluded island with personalized diving.
  • Pristine fauna and flora. Dive sites probably not dived on more that twice a week by small groups.
  • Wreck dives.
  • Lots of juvenile fish (e.g., trunk fish) and mature drumfish. Huge yellowline arrow crabs were ubiquitous. Many squid, eels and coneys, spanish hogfish, along with the standard varieties of fish and creatures.
  • Lots of history below and above the island.
  • A wonderful dive operation with friendly staff that treat you like family.
  • Dive Masters are not bossy, rather helpful and guiding while letting you do your own profile of interest.
  • Pre-produced, visual dive description posters for dive briefings.
  • Outstanding food served for such a tiny place.
  • Very convenient lodging and diving in one place. Sure don’t need a car!
  • The only beach on the island is a small, 60 feet wide spit immediately adjacent to Scubaqua. Not only can you recreate there, but it is also their hawksbill turtle nesting area. I had the privilege to witness them retrieving the baby turtles to return to the ocean.
Cons:
  • No large fish.
  • No large coral structures like swim-throughs. Coral is pristine but not large structures.
  • Hard to get to but I always say “that the harder to get to, the better the diving”.
  • Having to usually use the buoy line to descend and sometimes some nasty barnacles on less visited sites.

Attachments

• IMG_5488.jpg
    IMG_5488.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5493.jpg
    IMG_5493.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5503.jpg
    IMG_5503.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5527.jpg
    IMG_5527.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5671.jpg
    IMG_5671.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5727.jpg
    IMG_5727.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5902.jpg
    IMG_5902.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5974.jpg
    IMG_5974.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6041.jpg
    IMG_6041.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6804.jpg
    IMG_6804.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6388.jpg
    IMG_6388.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6621.jpg
    IMG_6621.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6693.jpg
    IMG_6693.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6756.jpg
    IMG_6756.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 84
Enjoyed your report about a destination we see few trip reports on (though there was one in June 2022 by @tursiops ). He, too, mentioned current in his report.

What did you think of your dive trip in terms of overall cost vs. others you've done? Is St. Eustatius about on par with mainstream Caribbean destinations once you factor in airfare, food, etc...?

Getting There:
The only commercial flights to Statia are two per day from St. Maarten (morning and dusk). There is ferry service between St. Kitts, Statia, and Saba; so you can transfer between those islands by boat service. My flight into St. Maarten was not convenient for a quick transfer to a Statia flight,
That could be a problem. A lot of U.S. divers who aren't retired can get a week off work and tend to schedule Sat. - Sat. 7-night trips, with 6 days 2-tank boat dives, and maybe 5 days of 1 or 2 tanks in the afternoon if available.

Wonder how practical it is to do a 7-night trip like that to St. Eustatius?
Diving:
With the exception of two large wreck dives, almost all the dive profiles are “descend to bottom at around 50 feet and stay there until time to come up for decompression safety stop”. This flat profile at 50 feet makes it more helpful to dive with Nitrox and Scubaqua encourages it and provides it at no cost.

The dives seemed to vary with current, but usually there was a strong current during descent, so most times we had to hang on to the buoy line while going down in order not to float away. Some of the buoy lines were new and clean, but some had barnacles and I cut my hands a few times. They discourage glove wearing and are very sensitive to the environment, but allow it for this purpose of avoiding hand hazards.
Per their FAQ: "Can I dive with gloves? No, diving with gloves is not allowed in the marine park." Interesting.

It also says: "Can I pay with my creditcard? Do not count on using your credit card, only a few places on the Island where you will be able to use it. The island has 2 ATM machines but just incase we advise to bring some cash (US $)." Did you have any problem paying for meals, etc...?

I can see someone getting down there not carrying all that much cash.

They note: "Do we dive in strong currents? The current changes from day to day, but is usually very mild. Before we enter the water, we do a current check and if the current is too strong for our planned dive, we can take advantage of this current and make a drift dive or move to a dive site with a milder current."

That's important, because if much of the diving is done over a 50-foot deep flat bottom, then St. Eustatius joins the Florida Keys (at least Key Largo, where I dove years ago) and St. Thomas as a depth-appropriate choice for young Junior OW divers, if they and their parents choose to honor recommended depth restrictions, But the current thing could complicate matters.

From the website, bookings are to be done through 3rd party travel agency partners or can be done directly with them, but I don't see it immediately evident what the dive trip prices are.

How many day dives can you do per day? They mention a night dive is offered at least once per week. I'm curious how many dives someone could get in there.

Excellent, detailed report.

I really enjoyed my trip to Statia.

Rich, depending upon your connections to St Martin you can do this trip in 7 days.

Here is a video I made of my dive on the Charlie Brown about 12 years ago.

There are non-stops to SXM from many places. The flights SXM-EUX on Winair are at 0700h and at 1830h. Easy to connect to the evening flight. The returns are 0740h and 1905h; the morning flight is easy to make connections from.
Per their FAQ: "Can I dive with gloves? No, diving with gloves is not allowed in the marine park." Interesting.
Why is that interesting? That is the rule in most Marine Parks, like Cozumel and Bonaire, for example.
So they go to an ATM. The major restaurants take CCs. We had a meal plan arranged through Scubaqua so we could eat around, and all the costs (except extras and tips) were on our Scubaqua bill....and all were paid with a CC. No big deal. Wandering around the (upper) town on off-gassing Friday might take a little cash.
That's important, because if much of the diving is done over a 50-foot deep flat bottom
I had 14 dives on my trip, 2-3 per day, and NONE were as shallow as 50 ft; they ranged from 52-100 ft, with 5 being at less than 60 ft.
I don't see it immediately evident what the dive trip prices are.
Price list. The accommodations price depends on where you stay, and you get a package price for room and diving.
How many day dives can you do per day? They mention a night dive is offered at least once per week. I'm curious how many dives someone could get in there.
You can probably do 3-4 dives per day, depending on logistics and night dives.

Why is that interesting? That is the rule in most Marine Parks, like Cozumel and Bonaire, for example.
Because of this:
The dives seemed to vary with current, but usually there was a strong current during descent, so most times we had to hang on to the buoy line while going down in order not to float away. Some of the buoy lines were new and clean, but some had barnacles and I cut my hands a few times. They discourage glove wearing and are very sensitive to the environment, but allow it for this purpose of avoiding hand hazards.
I don't know whether the wrecks are in the marine park. I wasn't challenging the restriction, just noting there seems to be more to the topic in practice.

Thanks for linking the price list and the added info.
I had 14 dives on my trip, 2-3 per day, and NONE were as shallow as 50 ft; they ranged from 52-100 ft, with 5 being at less than 60 ft.
With the exception of two large wreck dives, almost all the dive profiles are “descend to bottom at around 50 feet and stay there until time to come up for decompression safety stop”.
Wonder why the difference, and what is most typical of dive trips here?

You can see the Scubaqua dive site depths at Dive Sites. They list 16 sites varying from 52 to 130 ft.
Their chart at https://www.scubaqua.com/inet/scubaqua/site.nsf/vimgfiles/CLIC-97EVUX/$file/dive-map.jpg lists 27 sites. Between the 16 they list and the 14 I did in 2022 and the 12 I did in 2018, I've got depths for 22 of the 27 sites on their map, ranging from 52 to 102 ft.

Enjoyed your report about a destination we see few trip reports on (though there was one in June 2022 by @tursiops ). He, too, mentioned current in his report.

What did you think of your dive trip in terms of overall cost vs. others you've done? Is St. Eustatius about on par with mainstream Caribbean destinations once you factor in airfare, food, etc...?

That could be a problem. A lot of U.S. divers who aren't retired can get a week off work and tend to schedule Sat. - Sat. 7-night trips, with 6 days 2-tank boat dives, and maybe 5 days of 1 or 2 tanks in the afternoon if available.

It also says: "Can I pay with my creditcard? Do not count on using your credit card, only a few places on the Island where you will be able to use it. The island has 2 ATM machines but just incase we advise to bring some cash (US $)." Did you have any problem paying for meals, etc...?

They note: "Do we dive in strong currents? The current changes from day to day, but is usually very mild. Before we enter the water, we do a current check and if the current is too strong for our planned dive, we can take advantage of this current and make a drift dive or move to a dive site with a milder current."

That's important, because if much of the diving is done over a 50-foot deep flat bottom, then St. Eustatius joins the Florida Keys (at least Key Largo, where I dove years ago) and St. Thomas as a depth-appropriate choice for young Junior OW divers, if they and their parents choose to honor recommended depth restrictions, But the current thing could complicate matters.

From the website, bookings are to be done through 3rd party travel agency partners or can be done directly with them, but I don't see it immediately evident what the dive trip prices are.

Hi Rich.
I found the prices at Statia similar to most Caribbean dive areas, but not as expensive as Little Cayman or cheap as Cozumel. Pretty average and not over-priced at all. The breakfast came complimentary from the lodging and you order off the menu. Lunch and dinners were either billed to my room if dining at the main restaurant across the street from the Old Gin House or to my credit card. The outdoor dining at the end of the pier took my credit card as well. I usually travel with ~$500 cash on these trips for tips and other misc. items.
I did three dives a day except for one day in the middle of my eight days and the last day only did two. So it came to 22 dives during that period. They'll take you out on an afternoon dive as long as they have at least 3 divers. There was no night diving that week. I forget why. Maybe jellyfish or something like that or not enough divers to go out. I've been on two other trips since then so I forgot exactly.
One of the solo divers I was with is an annual visitor and had dived with Scubaqua numerous times/years. He wore gloves and they were okay with it as long as you respected the rule of not touching anything other than the buoy line. I'll wear gloves next time I go. Some lines were new and clean but a couple of the lines that are not visited often were nasty and you have to hang on tight in some situations. The current would be strong one day and not much at all at another dive or place. They judged at the buoy line whether the current was okay. Twice during the week, we deliberately did drift dives and covered three sites. Similar to Cozumel.
The only dives that exceed 55 feet deep are the modern wreck dives and possibly a couple on the extreme north or south ends that I did not visit because of the current. All the other dives were to 45 to 55 feet until time to come up.
The one modern wreck I dived was to about 95 feet but some went deeper...maybe 115 feet. Not sure but they were below me.

Great report and pictures- appreciate you taking the time to put this together.

Glad you had a nice trip! Very jealous of your getting to see the hawksbill nest hatching, that would be so cool.

Thanks for the report! All good information and helpful. We leave Feb 21 for a week in Statia, with 3 days in St. Maarten on the way back. Have never dove in the the Eastern Caribbean, so looking forward to something new and different. We will be diving with Scubaqua.

Because of this:

I don't know whether the wrecks are in the marine park. I wasn't challenging the restriction, just noting there seems to be more to the topic in practice.

Thanks for linking the price list and the added info.

In hindsight, many of the dives were a flat profile at 60-foot depth but just as many at 50-foot. I don't like ship wreck dives unless they're older with lots of fauna and flora around it, so I opted out of any of their deep wreck dives (~100').

Back
Top Bottom