Swamper Fling June 19-21, 2009

Swamper Fling June 19-21, 2009

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI - Windy Point Park is situated on a modest slope above lake Travis. The park provides some wheeled carts to transport gear from the parking lot to your camping area, but it is still a haul (feels like up hill both ways :wink:).

Good news! Lake Travis Scuba is operating from Windy Point Park this year and you can use their 4X4 shuttle to move all your scuba & camping gear from the parking lot to your site for as little as $2 one-way, $5 all-day. I've paid sherpas in the interior of Mexico more to haul less gear... Sherpas Rock!!! :cool2:

Have you ever started your dive from the beginning of the wall at Windy Point public and ended at the first staircase at Windy Point Private?

The shuttle will take you to the Public Park so you can do this dive without the entry cost for the public park. Flag down the shuttle to pick you up at your camp site and take you to the entry point for the dive.

With the all day service you can also load your tanks on the shuttle to bring them to the air fill station and back. Just pay the shuttle driver for your airfill and hang out during your surface interval.

Enjoy the weekend, dive safe and often,

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba

Does WP rent tanks... I hve two that the viz runs out at the end of the month and two that ran out in May. I am hoping Richard will fill the current ones but I would suspect he wont the others. If any of the shops will be open on Sunday we can return them then. I am looking ofr two...

Thanks

Have you ever started your dive from the beginning of the wall at Windy Point public and ended at the first staircase at Windy Point Private?

The shuttle will take you to the Public Park so you can do this dive without the entry cost for the public park. Flag down the shuttle to pick you up at your camp site and take you to the entry point for the dive.

This is a really cool idea, and a great dive. From the Public side heading north you'll pass grottos, a geocache, the scoreboard, some really big trees, a few boats and the rest of the stuff on the private side, all in a one way trip back to Windy Point Park :wink:

Does WP rent tanks... I hve two that the viz runs out at the end of the month and two that ran out in May. I am hoping Richard will fill the current ones but I would suspect he wont the others. If any of the shops will be open on Sunday we can return them then. I am looking ofr two...

Thanks

WP does not rent tanks and I don't know of any shops that are open on Sunday

WP does not rent tanks and I don't know of any shops that are open on Sunday

Dive World is open on Sundays from 10 - 4pm. They're at 12129 RR 620/Hatch Rd. So, from WP, make a left on RR 620 towards 183.

I will bring some sidemount rigs with me (Nomad) for tryout if anyone wants to give that a shot- free of charge (unless you break the gear that is). I will provide, rigs, regs and (probably) tins (that's cylinders, BTW) but the gas in the tins is up to you (whatever Richard charges for air). Feel free to provide your own regs and tins if you wish.

Some restrictions will apply: 18 years old or older, AOW or above (or equivalent), 30' max depth, no more than 1 hour dive (to give others the chance to use the gear), min of twin 45cu ft tins if you bring your own (eg you can't sling 13cuFt ponies on your sides and dive the gear- well, not dive my gear that is). The idea is to give a safe tryout of a different dive method.

If there's interest I will also bring some doubles, regs, wings etc and have those available for tryouts should people wish. (Free, of course).

Best

P

Tech Diving Instruction&nbspfrom Austin, TX-&nbsp Deep Down, your training matters, so Train Right - Home
Diving Side Mount- recreational and technical instruction. Deep Down your training matters- Train Right! - Recreational Sidemount

I'm taking an intro to tech course in August...any chance i could try on some of your rigs and see how they feel in the water? I'm a NAUI DM, and i'm trying to figure out what rig setup would be best for me when i take the intro to tech class!

I don't know of any shirts for sale there, but I'd be happy to lend you one for the day :eyebrow:

In fact I'll bring several for those without shirts to use when getting fills... :wink:

No big deal, this is just the only way I could think of for Richard and Sherry at WP to know who to give the Swamp Diver air discount to.

Fortunately, we don't have c-cards :rofl3:

I'm sure there will be plenty of discussion regarding more future shirts at the Fling :D

Hey Zinc...do you have any other shirts lying around the a hopeful Swamp Diver can use? Also, I was wondering if you needed help with cooking or anything on Saturday night or Sunday morning. I'm gonna pitch in the $5 and bring some snacks for folks, but anything else you guys need i'll try to help out with!

With the all day service you can also load your tanks on the shuttle to bring them to the air fill station and back. Just pay the shuttle driver for your airfill and hang out during your surface interval.

Enjoy the weekend, dive safe and often,

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
That sounds AWESOME! I've never dove the public park, should be interesting, thanks!

Can't wait to join the Swamp Divers!

Since I have no less than 6 DIMWIT shirts, do they count as Swamp Divers Shirts for the airfill discount and perhaps more philsophically can one be a swamp diver without being a DIMWIT... I know many DIMWITS whom you would not in any swamp at any time... I am planning my wardrobe... Also, will there be any formal activities...

Since I have no less than 6 DIMWIT shirts, do they count as Swamp Divers Shirts for the airfill discount and perhaps more philsophically can one be a swamp diver without being a DIMWIT... I know many DIMWITS whom you would not in any swamp at any time... I am planning my wardrobe... Also, will there be any formal activities...

The Black Tie Gala will be Saturday evening at 7:30. The bone ceremony will occur at the direction of the Governor. I'm not sure the exact time has been set.

Am I correct in thinking that We are having this event at the Private Windy Point ? ( Bob Wentz Park ?)

Back
Top Bottom