Suunto Zoop v Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am able to get a great deal on Suunto products. I am a new diver - would you buy a Suunto Zoop (for $333) or a Suunto Cobra with included compass (for $563)? Do I need the air integrated technology? Are there different Cobra versions?

I am able to get a great deal on Suunto products. I am a new diver - would you buy a Suunto Zoop (for $333) or a Suunto Cobra with included compass (for $563)? Do I need the air integrated technology? Are there different Cobra versions?

Maybe not such a great deal. You can get brand new Zoop's on Ebay for $250 shipped. . .

This would be from an AL authorized shop. I am not a fan of buying things on the internet for scuba.

Any thoughts on the actual tech differences for a new diver who will be only using them less than 100 feet.

This would be from an AL authorized shop. I am not a fan of buying things on the internet for scuba.

I completely understand. I've been told AL authorized shops personally verify the firmware running in all Suunto products and make all repairs on-site.

Any thoughts on the actual tech differences for a new diver who will be only using them less than 100 feet.

You can actually get the Zoop on Ebay for $229.95 shipped. How do I know? I bought one two months ago. That said, mine is now defective and I am probably going to be footing the bill for getting it repaired or replaced. Despite my luck, I believe Suunto to be and excellent product and would recommend the Zoop to any OW diver diving in the circumstances you refer to. (I have also owned the Vyper)

I just wished I knew if I would benefit by the Cobra over the Zoop, and if there are different versions of the Cobra that I should be aware that I am not getting the old one.

We went with the Cobra over a Zoop Console model with air gauge for my son because I love the Cobra. Having everything digital on one screen is great. Cobra also has a backlight which the Zoop doesn't in case you do night diving (which I love). Plus you can download your dive history which will include your air consumption data. $563 for Cobra including the compass is a good deal. I am assuming the price you gave for the Zoop was the console model with an air gauge. Feel free to ask me any questions.

I just wished I knew if I would benefit by the Cobra over the Zoop, and if there are different versions of the Cobra that I should be aware that I am not getting the old one.

You don't seem to be very receptive to any idea(s) other than your own, so is there a point?

Willar. Thank you for the post. Yes both models are the console versions: Zoop console with the non-digital pressure gauge and the Cobra with the compass. The deal is based on a package I am getting and a sale going on.

So you believe that the $230 extra for the Cobra is worth it? I am new to diving, so I am unsure if I will use all of the features considering that I will only be doing shallow beach dives. However, I love the backlight idea.

Dumb question: since it has air integration, does it tell you: at your current depth and air pressure, you have X more minutes remaining on your dive (which will change based on the changes of your air consumption and depth)? If so, it is worth it for that feature alone.

We went with the Cobra over a Zoop Console model with air gauge for my son because I love the Cobra. Having everything digital on one screen is great. Cobra also has a backlight which the Zoop doesn't in case you do night diving (which I love). Plus you can download your dive history which will include your air consumption data. $563 for Cobra including the compass is a good deal. I am assuming the price you gave for the Zoop was the console model with an air gauge. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Am I missing something? Here is what I get from the Suunto Warranty web page:

Warranty Information for Diving Instruments

Suunto warrants that during the Warranty Period Suunto or a Suunto Authorized Service Center (hereinafter Service Center) will, at its sole discretion, remedy defects in materials or workmanship free of charge either by a) repairing, or b) replacing, or c) refunding, subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty. This Limited Warranty is only valid and enforceable in the country of purchase, unless local law stipulates otherwise.
Warranty Period
The Limited Warranty Period starts at the date of original retail purchase. The Warranty Period is two (2) years for display devices. The Warranty Period is one (1) year for accessories and consumable parts, including but not limited to chargeable batteries, chargers, docking stations, straps, cables and hoses.

Exclusions and Limitations
This Limited Warranty does not cover: 1. a) normal wear and tear, b) defects caused by rough handling, or c) defects or damage caused by misuse contrary to intended or recommended use; 2. user manuals or any third-party items; 3. defects or alleged defects caused by the use with any product, accessory, software and/or service not manufactured or supplied by Suunto; 4. replaceable batteries.

This Limited Warranty is not enforceable if item: 1. has been opened beyond intended use; 2. has been repaired using unauthorized spare parts; modified or repaired by unauthorized Service Center; 3. serial number has been removed, altered or made illegible in any way, as determined at the sole discretion of Suunto; 4. has been exposed to chemicals including but not limited to mosquito repellents.
Suunto does not warrant that the operation of the Product will be uninterrupted or error free, or that the Product will work with any hardware or software provided by a third party.

Also speaks (further) to the value of purchasing the computer through an authorized AL dealer
:cool2:

Back
Top Bottom