Suunto Zoop v Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have both computers and like them. The Zoop is all you need however I like enough of the features on the Cobra to recommend it.

Air Integration is nice simply bc it puts all of your Info in one place. It can be helpful for newer divers to watch their air consumption on the computer as well. However, I honestly don't even look at that part.

I think you would prefer the Cobra but the Zoop would serve you well that price is a little high on the Zoop.

There are 3 versions of Cobra: Cobra3 has a digital compass, Cobra1 has an analogue compass and Cobra2 ... Is discontinued.
Make sure you do NOT get a Cobra2.

For more details check out our Dive Computers Research Tool on our website.

Lastly, whatever computer you buy, make sure you learn how to use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

My earlier (dumb question) Since the Cobra has air integration, does it tell you: at your current depth and air pressure, you have X more minutes remaining on your dive (which will change based on the changes of your air consumption and depth)? If so, it is worth it for that feature alone.

My earlier (dumb question) Since the Cobra has air integration, does it tell you: at your current depth and air pressure, you have X more minutes remaining on your dive (which will change based on the changes of your air consumption and depth)? If so, it is worth it for that feature alone.

Both the Cobra 1 & Cobra 3 tracks your remaining air time. So to your question, yes, it will tell you an estimate of X minutes remaining at your current breathing rate. However most programs, Sunnto and other brands, aren't precise so I wouldn't rely on them to the minute.
As with all AI, there may be issues with synching should you change tanks. Simple enough to troubleshoot, although I personally would rather not have to deal with that.

I do have a preference for wrist mounted computers with a simple brass analog SPG. Not a fan of consoles, so that probably sways my opinion to not go AI.

BTW you can find all this out on the Suunto website. :wink:

You don't seem to be very receptive to any idea(s) other than your own, so is there a point?
His original question was never addressed in the first place.
That comment of yours goes both ways.

Because the Cobra Is connected to the high pressure line, rather than using a wireless transmitter to get pressure info from the tank, there are no worries about re-synchronizing the transmitter when changing tanks.

I like having an air-integrated computer so I can track my surface air consumption (SAC) rate over time, through different dive conditions, and so on. I use MacDive to download my dives from my Cobra 3.

Yes the Cobra estimates air time remaining but I never pay attention to that. Better to be aware of rock bottom gas planning, dive conditions, buddy situation, etc and use the computer between your ears to decide when to start heading back up.

I am really trying to understand the advantages of the Cobra over the Zoop as a result of the air integration. Dive time remaining at my depth and pressure usage is one of them. What are the others? I have checked out the site, but I prefer to hear what you guys have to say.

What I like about air integration (I have a Suunto D9) is having my gas data on my wrist, along with my depth, time, and no-decompression time. I would not find it useful on a console, but, of course, preferences vary. I don't find the remaining gas time useful because I reserve ample gas, but again, preferences vary. I also like the air consumption data in my electronic dive log—at least I did, when I was still logging my dives.

I am very heavy on breathing, so I tend to use a lot of gas. Therefore, I like that it displays this information and how much air time I have left since I still have not gotten the hang of calculating it.

I am very heavy on breathing, so I tend to use a lot of gas. Therefore, I like that it displays this information and how much air time I have left since I still have not gotten the hang of calculating it.

My wife dives a Cobra 3 and likes the "air time remaining" feature for that reason. I have a Suunto D6, which is the non-air-integrated version of the D9. Sometimes I wish I had bought the D9 instead.

I am very heavy on breathing, so I tend to use a lot of gas.
All the more reason to plan for adequate reserves before the dive.

Therefore, I like that it displays this information and how much air time I have left since I still have not gotten the hang of calculating it.
It's arithmetic, not surfing. You just have to learn it, not get the hang of it. Read this article by ScubaBoard member NWGratefulDiver:

NWGratefulDiver.com

or this one, by lamont:

http://www.scriptkiddie.org/blog/2010/09/19/rock-bottom-and-gas-management-for-recreational-divers/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom