Suunto Zoop v Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On this point, will the Zoop and the Cobra preform this same function identically, even though one computer is AI and one is not?

As far as I know, all Suunto computers implement the same algorithm in the same way. From my own experience, I have compared my wife's Cobra with my D6 and seen that both computers indicate the same no-decompression time during each dive. I suspect the Zoop, Cobra, D6 and D9 and whatever else Suunto may offer are all the same as far as their core functions. What differentiates them are the features you've been discussing, like air integration. Air integration--that is, measuring your consumption of air--has nothing to do with calculating no-deco time. No relation at all. Measuring air consumption (well, measuring the pressure in your tank) is something your SPG does in a non-AI computer. All that AI really gets you is the convenience a single display to look at, rather than having to look both at a computer AND an SPG. Well, that plus the function mentioned above of computing Air Time Remaining that some people find convenient.

I am able to get a great deal on Suunto products. I am a new diver - would you buy a Suunto Zoop (for $333) or a Suunto Cobra with included compass (for $563)? Do I need the air integrated technology? Are there different Cobra versions?

I think air integration is a great feature, so if you're going to start with a console go with the Cobra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom