Suunto Zoop v Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What did you mean by these prices?

I believe that $563 is a good price for the unit, but I would appreciate everyone's input.

I keep going back and forth. One thing that bothers me about the Cobra unit (as opposed to the Zoop unit) is not having a manual pressure guage. The thought of relying on a piece of electronics to tell me how much pressure I have in the tank worries me.

In the original post you indicated the price difference was about $230 between the Zoop Console and the Cobra with a compass. I think the cost of adding the compass later is about $100 so the additional cost is the value of the Cobra. Just my way of breaking down the cost. And my way of saying the Cobra is a good deal.

In the original post you indicated the price difference was about $230 between the Zoop Console and the Cobra with a compass. I think the cost of adding the compass later is about $100 so the additional cost is the value of the Cobra. Just my way of breaking down the cost. And my way of saying the Cobra is a good deal.

I see. That makes sense.

You are not concerned with having only an electronic pressure gauge with no way to tell your pressure if it fails and you are 120' down? (my paranoia)

I have the Cobra and have logged more than 300 dives with it and haven't had any problems. The benefit of an air integrated computer is that you have one instrument to monitor your PSI and no decompression limits. In addition, the Cobra will calculate the remaining air time that you have available based on your
consumption rate and depth. I find this to be beneficial when diving at depth, because your air consumption rate typcially is going to be faster than your no decompression limits. Also, the Cobra will begin beeping when 725 & 500 PSI is reached which is a nice audible feature to let you know that your air is getting low.

If you move into the Zoop you will have to purchase a separate SPG, which will set you back $100. Though the Zoop will calculate your no decompression limits it can't calculate your remaining air time. At this point you are monitoring two instruments.

You are not concerned with having only an electronic pressure gauge with no way to tell your pressure if it fails and you are 120' down? (my paranoia)
What calamity do you think unfolds at 120' if your pressure gauge fails? You begin a normal, orderly ascent, which you know you have adequate gas for because you just checked your gauge a few minutes ago. Your buddy ascends along with you, as always, so you know you have adequate reserves in any case. It is about as minor a problem as you can encounter on a dive.

I guess you are right, since I will be less than 130' I won't have to worry about deco stops.

Have any of you ever had an issue with the Cobra or similar computer not working during a dive?

I guess you are right, since I will be less than 130' I won't have to worry about deco stops.
Deco diving generally takes experience and extra training, and typically uses different computers more suited to the task, or no computers at all. Decompression stops, gas consumption, and often multiple gas mixes are pre-planned. Deco divers are definitely not relying on a computer's "remaining air time" data to conduct their dive. I think most of the responses you have gotten here assume that you will be diving within recreational (no-deco) limits.

Interesting point. Considering that Deco diving generally takes more expierence and uses different computers, why then, is the most advertised part of these computers the ability to calclaute deco stops, etc.

Have any of you ever had an issue with the Cobra or similar computer not working during a dive?

I don't think that should be a factor in your decision whether to buy a Zoop or a Cobra. There must be many threads on SB in which people voiced concern over air-integration features failing, and there are (as with everything on SB it seems) an equal number of voices on the other side of the debate. The debate usually relates to the kind of air-integrated computers with remote transmitters, not the kind in which the computer is connected via a hose, like the Cobra. I don't recall seeing much concern over something like the Cobra failing.

Interesting point. Considering that Deco diving generally takes more expierence and uses different computers, why then, is the most advertised part of these computers the ability to calclaute deco stops, etc.

Huh? I've never seen that in any advertisement for a recreational dive computer. The manual for the Cobra says something along the lines of "If you exceed the no-decompression limits on a dive, the computer will display the information you need to make a safe ascent." That relates to unplanned deco--in other words, something you want to avoid. The computer helps you out IF, despite your best planning, you exceed your no-decompression limits. Yes, most computers do that, but I would hardly say it is the most advertised feature.

Now, if what you're referring to is a manufacturer touting a computer's ability to inform you of the amount of no-decompression time that remains on a dive, a safe ascent rate, and when to make safety stop (as opposed to a deco stop), well, those core functions are pretty much what every computer does. I wouldn't be surpised if every manufacturer wants you to believe their computer does those functions better than others.

If they are advertising their ability to calculate deco stops, it is to appeal to divers who like cool technical gear and are ignorant of the actual protocols of technical diving. Divers like yourself. They are not alone in this strategy; there is a lot of faux technical gear for sale that is of no utility to actual technical divers.

My D9 will impose mandatory stops on divers who violate the rules. Sawtooth profiles and fast ascents, for example. Suunto is trying to keep us safe from our own bad diving habits—an added bit of conservatism that many divers like. Generally speaking, though, "recreational" diving is no-deco diving, and the computer's principal function is to tell you how much no-deco time you have.

Generally speaking, though, "recreational" diving is no-deco diving, and the computer's principal function is to tell you how much no-deco time you have.

On this point, will the Zoop and the Cobra preform this same function identically, even though one computer is AI and one is not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom