Suunto Cobra 2 /dev/tty.usbserial error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChangeAgent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Running Mac OS 10.12.6
Tried Driver OSX_v2_2_16 and
Driver OSX_v2_2_16 19-00-47-917
Downloading dives from a Suunto Cobra 2 dive computer
USB TO Serial Cable from Smartinterface - Ihr Webshop für Tauchzubehör, and a Suunto original cable

Hi folks,
I am hoping somebody here can say something wise about it. as I suspect it is something in the Mac that has not been set up properly. I also hope this is the right forum, if not please advice.

I have the following problem when I try to download dives from the Suunto (with any of the cables). I use Subsurface normally but also tested with MacDive (both are software applications to download dives from the computer). Both of them give me the same errors. See pics below.

So here some facts and stuff I tried:

Unit flashes two or three times green when I try to download. Next the enclosed box appears (see pics).

I installed FTDI. Noted that on the http://www.smartinterface.de (they produce one of the cables) site there is a different version as on the FTDI Chip Home Page site. Tried both. Rebooted 3 times after install no luck either.

Was in some forums to see if I find help. Found some stuff but had no results.
I run:
ls -l /dev/cu*
get
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 20, 1 5 Aug 18:49 /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port
or if I run ls /dev/tty.*I get:
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/tty.usbserial-00002014
and with the Suunto cable I get:
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/tty.usbserial-ST04MTY9

I also found this:
“And one thing that I noticed when trying to reproduce this. It appears that you have to reboot your Mac after installing the driver. And I read two threads in which people complained that they had to reboot TWICE for it to work. So if: kextstat | grep FTDI results in no output, please try to reboot, run the command again, and if it still doesn't show, try a second reboot...”

I get no response and rebooting 3 times > does not solve it.

In the System information I see several FTDI things under Installations among them:

USB <-> Serial Cable:

Product ID: 0x6001
Vendor ID: 0x0403 (Future Technology Devices International Limited)
Version: 6.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Smartinterface
Location ID: 0x14200000 / 23
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

That is what I did/know so far, any help or suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    96 KB · Views: 134
  • 1.png
    1.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 97
The error is on /dev/tty.usbserial-00002014. Does it happen on /dev/tty.usbserial-ST04MTY9 as well? -- I.e. when you changed cables, did you change the config in your subsurface/macdive to connect to the different port?

yes with both cables same result and yes I changed configuration as well.

Hmm. Sorry, not a mac expert. I would try a linux or windows 7 computer, but then I've plenty of 'em...

Edit: a quick google suggests using /dev/cu.usbserial* instead of corresp. /dev/tty.usbserial* works for some people sometimes. You don't seem to have them in your `ls` output and I don't know enough about OhSex to tell if that's normal, or it indicates the drivers didn't install and/or detect the device properly.

Last edited:
I never saw anything about /dev/cu.usbserial* while looking on the Web.

do you have a link?

cool thanks. learning ll the time.
Tested both does not seem to work with either.

Did you check in security settings to see if there was a prompt to authorize the kernel extension? It's a separate step.

I did, all is well there.

I'm using subsurface with the SmartInterface cable and a Zoop Novo. /dev/tty.usbserial-00201414 is the device that works.

kextstat | grep FTDI
gives me
205 0 0xffffff7f86f4c000 0x7000 0x7000 com.FTDI.driver.FTDIUSBSerialDriver (2.4.2) E16D9540-AF63-36AD-94C4-B1164FBD6078 <128 50 5 4 3 1>

Virtual COM Port Drivers lists the latest FTDI driver at 2.4.2, maybe give that a try?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom