Surcharge for using PayPal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50% does not seem to be common in Cozumel, but it can be in other locations/trips.

With that said I would not expect any business to charge me 50% and make my only payment method be one that requires me to pay service fees in addition to that 50%. If they want you to pay the service fees it should be a much lower or minimal amount for the deposit.

The OP is staying at AND diving at BA.

Yes, a minimal deposit for diving is customary. 50% deposit for lodging is not unreasonable.

Sounds like they are being asked for 50% deposit on the whole thing. In that case, book the diving and lodging separately. As I recall from getting quotes a few years ago, there wasn't much of a package "discount". And I recall some controversy over BA deposit return policy. They were not returning deposits in cash but as future credit. So book the lodging through an expedia-type broker where you can get your money back.

As I recall from getting quotes a few years ago, there wasn't much of a package "discount".
The "starts at $75" is for 28 or more days. Low season rooms are $94 for 7 to 13 days with diving. 7 x $94 = $658 + $950 diving = $1608. Same as package price.

For a group, much lower rates would be expected, but a 50% deposit and 4% surcharge is just bad business. There are too many other choices.

The problem with large-group reservations is no-shows. I tried to make a dinner reservation in Bonaire for 20 people and was told they needed a $200 deposit. I found another restaurant.

I suspect it is the "large group" that is the reason for the large security deposit. Blue Angel is a small boutique hotel with 22 rooms as I recall. They just cannot afford to block a lot of rooms for a large group and then be SOL if you flake and no-show.

I have stayed at BA on several of my Coz dive trips and have never been disappointed. Top-notch DM's and the diving is so convenient with their pier literally steps away from your room. The on-site restaurant is excellent too!

I do not recall being asked for a 50% deposit. I pay with my no-fee Schwab VISA card, or I have also paid in pesos with my Wise debit card. Never Paypal.

How many is "quite a few"?

Quite a few relative to my experience. There are 6 of us. Three will hopefully be getting Open Water certification. Two will be getting their Deep Diver endorsement. All six will be diving. We were planning to stay for a week. We were thinking about going with Blue Angel based on recommendation on this board. They were the highest priced operation we looked at by quite (that word again) a bit. I thought that the additional 4% was to much on top of the premium that were charging.

Quite a few relative to my experience. There are 6 of us. Three will hopefully be getting Open Water certification. Two will be getting their Deep Diver endorsement. All six will be diving. We were planning to stay for a week. We were thinking about going with Blue Angel based on recommendation on this board. They were the highest priced operation we looked at by quite (that word again) a bit. I thought that the additional 4% was to much on top of the premium that were charging.

Thanks for the clarification. I would consider 6 to be "quite a small" group as far as "group bookings" go. I've known shops to take 50 plus and we were in Coz last Dec. with a group of 28. 3 of your 6 are not even certified yet. Many places will offer a group discount and even a trip leader comp but that's usually for 8-12 paid.

The issue of deposit is really all about trust in getting it back if you need to cancel within the cancellation policy. I have no issues paying in full when I book with orbitz or hotels because my experience when canceling within the stated cancellation period has been an immediate refund. But I'm not interested fighting with a small hotel to get my money back.

The issue of surcharge is frustrating. A surcharge is understandable when you are using a fee-based payment method for your convenience but not when they are mandating the payment method. Ask if you can pay deposit with zelle or some other method that doesn't incur fees.

I recently booked a 10 day stay at my favorite beach front condo in Residence Reef through AirBnB and I had to provide 50% as a security deposit. It is clearly 100% refundable up until 3 days before my first night. I also booked my dives with Living Underwater with no deposit. I am a returning customer though. No surcharges.

There are 6 of us.
Ok, I don't guess that you are getting a discount.
They were the highest priced operation we looked at by quite (that word again) a bit. I thought that the additional 4% was to much on top of the premium that were charging.
They are an excellent dive op and hotel, but overpriced I think. The surcharge just adds to that. Book elsewhere if they won't be more reasonable.

They are an excellent dive op and hotel, but overpriced I think. The surcharge just adds to that. Book elsewhere if they won't be more reasonable.
They are not overpriced if they can keep the hotel full. It is typical in any market for a provider to adjust the price until demand matches supply. Wouldn't you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom