Surcharge for using PayPal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorloc

New
Reaction score
Howdy. I was thinking about staying and diving at Blue Angel. They are quite a few of us, so the estimate is quite high. They would like a 50% deposit paid through PayPal. To use PayPal, they want to charge an extra 4%. Is it common to pass the surcharge on to the customer? I'd rather be putting that 4% towards tips.

Seems to be getting more and more common for all forms of credit or electronic payment.

Never heard of such a thing booking anywhere and requiring a 50% deposit is crazy. Any operation that wants to tack on 4% to use Paypal and wants a 50% deposit on top must be having financial problems. I'd steer clear but that is just me. If that operation hits the fan between now and then and your window closes to contest the charge because they wanted it so far in advance you are out one heck of a lot of $. Businesses that are suffering have a way of spending tomorrow's dollars and the customer deposits they have received to pay for today's operations trying to stay afloat. Blue Angel has done that in the past. I wouldn't trust that place with such a deposit. Send them a copy of all of your confirmed and paid for airline tickets so they know you are coming and if that isn't good enough for them to reserve the rooms and diving without some crazy deposit that should say it all. You aren't dealing with Marriot International here and a Marriott franchisee... You're dealing with a little privatly owned resort and dive op in Mexico.

I believe that merchants are charged a percentage fee if you use a credit card. By using PayPal they are putting the fee back on the buyer so they do not lose money.

Never heard of such a thing booking anywhere and requiring a 50% deposit is crazy. Any operation that wants to tack on 4% to use Paypal and wants a 50% deposit on top must be having financial problems. I'd steer clear but that is just me. If that operation hits the fan between now and then and your window closes to contest the charge because they wanted it so far in advance you are out one heck of a lot of $. Businesses that are suffering have a way of spending tomorrow's dollars and the customer deposits they have received to pay for today's operations trying to stay afloat. Blue Angel has done that in the past. I wouldn't trust that place with such a deposit. Send them a copy of all of your confirmed and paid for airline tickets so they know you are coming and if that isn't good enough for them to reserve the rooms and diving without some crazy deposit that should say it all. You aren't dealing with Marriot International here and a Marriott franchisee... You're dealing with a little privatly owned resort and dive op in Mexico.
There are complaints about ba on trip advisor not giving back deposits. Check around and see what other hotels will give.

Howdy. I was thinking about staying and diving at Blue Angel. They are quite a few of us, so the estimate is quite high. They would like a 50% deposit paid through PayPal. To use PayPal, they want to charge an extra 4%. Is it common to pass the surcharge on to the customer? I'd rather be putting that 4% towards tips.

How many is "quite a few"?

It is very common in Mexico for small businesses to charge the customer a surcharge to cover what they have to pay to such services.

It is, but usually you have an alternative method of payment to avoid it. If Blue Angel is the one directing payment by paypal then they should eat the fee.

I agree with deepsea21 that a 50% deposit is ridiculous. I've sometimes paid $50 with some ops but some ops don't require any deposit at all once you are a repeat customer.

Lately I've been using Roberta's Scuba Shack - no deposit and I can pay the bill after the diving electronically by Zelle with no fees. Completely cuts out the hassle of bringing a wad of cash or draining an ATM.

The OP is staying at AND diving at BA.

Yes, a minimal deposit for diving is customary. 50% deposit for lodging is not unreasonable.

I believe that merchants are charged a percentage fee if you use a credit card. By using PayPal they are putting the fee back on the buyer so they do not lose money.
No, Paypal charges the business, so in this case the business wants to pass those charges to the customer. 50% deposit is too much, I agree.
They would like a 50% deposit paid through PayPal. To use PayPal, they want to charge an extra 4%.
Ask them if they can take Zelle or Venmo? No fees that way, altho you do lose protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom