Sunrise Scuba, Spring Hill FL lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I was working at Scuba West over the last month and a half and I can't count the number of people bringing in equipment that was serviced by sunrise and done wrong. Someone even brought in 5 tanks that they had hydro'd, VIP, and 02 cleaned at sunrise. The valves were not tightened down, and there was water and major amounts of rust pooled at the bottom of all tanks. In this case it's probably better that the sunrise shop is out of business as someone was going to die eventually because of that guy.

On a side note - I recently left scuba west to take an assistant manager job at Divers Supply. in Tampa

I have heard there were MANY more cylinders contaminated too. I guess these people think it is OK, keep the problem to themselves and clean up the mess on their own.

NO POINTING OUT THE PROBLEM IS HELPING IT TO CONTINUE!

(Congrats on the new job DB)

The total for the tumbling and O2 cleaning and vis of the 12 steel tanks was $445.00. The total for the cleaning of the valves was $100.00. This is just the the cylinders, the regs have to be cleaned out too.
The O2 cleaning was done by Advanced Hydrotest in Homosassa. The owner, Dave, made the insides of these tanks look NEW again! I Highly recommend him as he did a very through job, and gave me a break due to my circumstances. His phone # is 352-422-1234. Give him a call if you need this type of work done.........he is the BEST!

I concur. We (as a society) have tolerated far too many frivolous lawsuits that are contaminating our moral compass and doing nothing more than fueling one's greed. Everyone involved, directly or indirectly, in one of these circus events contributes to their proliferation. It may be summed up best by Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry."

Yes... you can try to contact other divers. But if this particular unnamed shop has recently stopped "pumping nitrox" as you say, then why don't you consider that a step in the right direction instead of dragging any I-want-to-get-rich schmuck in on your immoral delusion? The diving industry as a whole has enough troubles without the likes of you tainting its reputation by blatantly (and publicly) proclaiming a fault and demanding retribution for an act that is most likely an honest mistake.

You would probably do good to dispense with the thought that it was intentional, but given our nature, arrogance will trump all logical arguments. My logical argument is as follows: If it is true that nitrox is no longer being dispensed at this shop, it would seem that the person in question was either informed of or discovered said problem, and subsequently ceased using the defective equipment to protect the diving community. And if said shop/person is morally conscious, I suspect that your concerns would be addressed and satisfied to the best of their ability, without the need for public litigation.

I feel compelled to offer one of my favorite aphorisms... "Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate."

Ken

You are absolutely right. The next time your cylinders need to be filled, contact SalmonBoy. I am pretty sure he saved some of the oil that dripped from his cylinders. I'm sure he will be happy to pour some into your cylinders. Then, stop by my house so I can use my bike pump to top off the air in your cylinders (I soak that pump in gasoline). You can then head out for a happy weekend of diving, and no matter what ill effects you receive and no matter what amount of money it takes you to have your gear cleaned, you will obviously not pursue damages of any sort from Salmonboy or I because of how incredibly enlightened you are.

The total for the tumbling and O2 cleaning and vis of the 12 steel tanks was $445.00. The total for the cleaning of the valves was $100.00. This is just the the cylinders, the regs have to be cleaned out too.
The O2 cleaning was done by Advanced Hydrotest in Homosassa. The owner, Dave, made the insides of these tanks look NEW again! I Highly recommend him as he did a very through job, and gave me a break due to my circumstances. His phone # is 352-422-1234. Give him a call if you need this type of work done.........he is the BEST!

OUCH!!! That's money that could have been used for diving....

Then, stop by my house so I can use my bike pump to top off the air in your cylinders

That is one bad ass bike pump you have! :D

In a perfect world Salmonboy would not have had to pay for his tanks/valves/regs to be cleaned and the shop would step up to the plate and make things right.

The truly important thing is that hopefully no one was injured because of the contaminated cylinders

Sean

Brother I think you'll just be banging your head against a brick wall. fwiw, I'd eat it and move forward. Less stress on you. Now if he decides to come back to town and open up business again...:guillotine:

Well said.

Yet another example of why liability insurance is so expensive in this sue-happy country.

Well said.

Yet another example of why liability insurance is so expensive in this sue-happy country.

What does this have to do with a "sue-happy country"? Salmonboy didn't spill coffee on himself while in this dive shop... If a business causes damage to your property and refuses to pay for it, you don't feel that warrants a lawsuit? Them damaging your property should remain your financial responsibility to repair? There is nothing legally, morally, or ethically stopping Salmonboy from pursuing this in court. It is absolutely justified. The variable is whether or not it's worth the effort, time, expense, and aggravation.

What does this have to do with a "sue-happy country"? Salmonboy didn't spill coffee on himself while in this dive shop... If a business causes damage to your property and refuses to pay for it, you don't feel that warrants a lawsuit? Them damaging your property should remain your financial responsibility to repair? There is nothing legally, morally, or ethically stopping Salmonboy from pursuing this in court. It is absolutely justified. The variable is whether or not it's worth the effort, time, expense, and aggravation.

There has been NO real information about why anyone in the SB community should participate in a lawsuit.

Do we know what happened? How it was the shop's fault? Whether or not the shop has been contacted to resolve the issue?

No.

However, what I DO know is that as a scuba instructor my liability insurance costs are ridiculously high because people in this country will sue at the drop of a hat.

It doesn't matter whether or not the suit has merit. All that matters is that a lawyer can convince you that through the "magic" of contingency fees YOU won't have to pay a cent to initiate a lawsuit! However, the person on the OTHER end of the suit won't have that luxury. They have to PAY to defend themselves.

Oh wait... I forgot... this could NEVER happen to YOU....

Wow. Did you read the thread? He stated that he has tried on several occasions to contact the shop to no avail. He also stated that he had the tanks serviced and filled at that shop because it was the one in his area. He had to take them to another shop in another county to repair the damage that was done. Now I tend to agree with you that we live in a sue-happy country but I think you should have the facts before you decide to blow your top because you have high liability insurance. Guess what.... so do I. I don't like it either but that my friend is life.
As far as I am concerned he has done his due diligance in this matter. I have seen the evidence and so have others. I think it is safe to say that having to pay to repair and clean everything is getting off easy compared to the possible loss of life or sickness he could have faced. In a perfect world the owner of the shop would man up and take care of the issue and this thread wouldn't even be on here but he chose to go another route.
Now you tell me...how would you proceed? Do you just let the guy off the hook so he can open another shop and do it again to someone else? How would you feel if you did let it go and he opened up only to kill someone? Don't you think that would be partially on your head? I would feel horrible knowing I could have done something to stop it and didn't. But thats just the way I am.
I have to tell you I don't think salmonboy is after a large sum of money. I believe that purpose is to recover the damages and costs as well as raise awareness of the situation and the poor job done by the shop and that is worth it in my book. Not everyone is out to grab money. Maybe you should meet the people before you make statements that belittle their cause.

Just for the record, I have never done ANYTHING thinking "Im gonna get rich".
My goal is to try and recover the money it will take to get my gear back to its original, O2 clean condition. So far I have spent $545.00 and this doesnt include my 4 aluminum cylinders or three sets of regs.
I call and leave messages on Scotts phone daily and he still has yet to call me back or answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom