Sunrise Scuba, Spring Hill FL lawsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you wont share your story, but you will trash a dive shop by name on the internet. hmmmmm?????

I cannot say too much due to potential legal action. I can however, try to contact other divers with similar experiences at this dive shop.
As far as I know he is no longer pumping nitrox.

You do realize that you'll need an impartial 3rd party to VIP your tanks for compressor oil as you have a vested interest.

I would also imagine it would be difficult to prove that the LDS compressor is to only possible source of contamination.

I agree.

Breathing gas safety is a huge issue that most take for granted. Having been subjected to "bad gas" before that could have very easily led to a very bad situation in-water, as well as having a couple friends subjected to an even worse situation with lingering health issues, not to mention the bashing for alerting others to these potential problems, I appreciate what Salmonboy97 is up against.

Here are a few useful links...

Compressed breathing air – the potential for evil from within

Here is a report relating my experience, which ultimately was believed to be caused from toluene contamination from breakdown of the compressor oil:
The Deco Stop

A reminder following a serious event:
The Deco Stop

Understanding compressors and filtration:
The Deco Stop

There have been numerous other events I am aware of. In some cases people did not understand the cause and in other cases people kept quiet due to "political" reasons. But trust me, these events are not that rare, and numerous divers have died from contaminated gas. Educate yourself.

Cheers,
Mike

Please forgive my question,but.. How do you know if your air is contaminated and how does it make someone feel???

If you can taste air or smell it, your air is contaminated. Do not breath it. I teach all my OW students to do the taste and smell test when they are test breathing their regs. Taste as you're breathing and a couple of small blasts with the purge to smell. Compressor oil in compressed air tends to make you nauseous. Dive safely. :palmtree: Bob

Lawsuits can and will hurt the industry and only make insurance for shops go up and prices for us go even higher. Was this an accidental contamination or was it due to neglect? I really despise people that bring fourth lawsuits over ridiculous events, my coffee was too hot ect, ect, ect. I always take a few breaths before I go under the water and I try and smell the gas just for my own satisfaction. Anything can go wrong in diving, I would not sue someone and hurt an industry unless it was totally a flagrant act. Do what you feel is right, just throwing my .02 in.

Kevin I appreciate your position, but this is a problem I will not walk away from. I believe diver safety is priority #1 and the next guy may not be a lucky as I was. I am trying to prevent a fatal accident.

I dont necessarily disagree with you, just wandering how the shop reacted when you told them this. This is gonna happen from time to time. You or a lawsuit cant stop that. Its part of the risk we take and thats why i try to smell the gas i get and take sample breaths before I start a dive. How they reacted would tell me how to handle the situation.

Kevin I appreciate your position, but this is a problem I will not walk away from. I believe diver safety is priority #1 and the next guy may not be a lucky as I was. I am trying to prevent a fatal accident.

Bill,
Have you spoken to the shop in question, and what was their reaction? :palmtree: Bob

Lawsuits can and will hurt the industry and only make insurance for shops go up and prices for us go even higher. Was this an accidental contamination or was it due to neglect? I really despise people that bring fourth lawsuits over ridiculous events, my coffee was too hot ect, ect, ect. I always take a few breaths before I go under the water and I try and smell the gas just for my own satisfaction. Anything can go wrong in diving, I would not sue someone and hurt an industry unless it was totally a flagrant act. Do what you feel is right, just throwing my .02 in.
I concur. We (as a society) have tolerated far too many frivolous lawsuits that are contaminating our moral compass and doing nothing more than fueling one's greed. Everyone involved, directly or indirectly, in one of these circus events contributes to their proliferation. It may be summed up best by Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry."
I cannot say too much due to potential legal action. I can however, try to contact other divers with similar experiences at this dive shop.
As far as I know he is no longer pumping nitrox.
Yes... you can try to contact other divers. But if this particular unnamed shop has recently stopped "pumping nitrox" as you say, then why don't you consider that a step in the right direction instead of dragging any I-want-to-get-rich schmuck in on your immoral delusion? The diving industry as a whole has enough troubles without the likes of you tainting its reputation by blatantly (and publicly) proclaiming a fault and demanding retribution for an act that is most likely an honest mistake.

You would probably do good to dispense with the thought that it was intentional, but given our nature, arrogance will trump all logical arguments. My logical argument is as follows: If it is true that nitrox is no longer being dispensed at this shop, it would seem that the person in question was either informed of or discovered said problem, and subsequently ceased using the defective equipment to protect the diving community. And if said shop/person is morally conscious, I suspect that your concerns would be addressed and satisfied to the best of their ability, without the need for public litigation.

I feel compelled to offer one of my favorite aphorisms... "Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate."

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom