Substituting strap for Deep 6 Eddys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use S/M diving wet and L when diving dry. The S/M I have are the older ones that are a lighter, floppier material than the stiffer material used on the L. Can’t really tell the difference though.

Just get some bungee and try that.

Years ago I asked to buy a separate spring strap to have an extra and I was told they were not available at all. So don’t even think about trying to get one.

If you try and order a pair of fins yourself directly from Deep6, the shipping is going to be extremely expensive. So consider yourself warned.
If it's bungee cord, going to try them at on this video. They look like 4 or 5mm bungee, though I'm not sure if the cord would indeed come off.

Shipping would be expensive but is free to the US. What I'd need to do is find a lost-cost forwarder into my country. So I'd still estimate $25

087.JPG

Ye
We need the names of those things now. Steel locking carabiner? Do they have to be marine grade?
Absolutely. I tried a set of regular ones on a butt plate and they rusted 1st dive.

The marine grade look brand new after ~ 2 years and they still work perfect.

Edit: Got mine on Amazon, not sure if that helps you or not;

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    131.8 KB · Views: 48
I had emailed Deep 6 to ask if I could purchase longer heel straps from them and they replied that they do not sell spring heel straps stand-alone, and that they had to be requested at the time of purchase.

We can, but it's largely unnecessary. If the spring strap is too tight, then the fin probably isn't the right size for the diver. We designed them to fit the shoe sizes listed on the sizing chart, barring extremely odd foot shape or proportions.

Thanks, yes then I think it is too small and need a size up. Question about the Deep 6 fins (usually S/M) and flippers (larger sizes from L), is there a difference in performance?

The original SM size fins, until the recent batch were made of a softer (more flexible) material. All fins in the US market are now made of the stiffer material. All fins in the Asian market are made of the softer material. So yes, there is a difference, depending on source and production run. All fins distributed from the US warehouse are now standardized to the stiffer durometer material.

I got the impression they're a small company, US-based and not as multinational as Scubapro. I got the last pair of Deep 6 from old stock of a local dive company in asia. I've asked them to bring in Deep 6 because of how good it is and that I would want to recommend them to new divers here. But they said they wouldn't bring in Deep 6 anymore because response is slow. Which, if Deep 6 is a small company, I would completely understand not being able to have time to do more business internationally

We are actually multi-national too :) We handle distribution in Asia out of Taipei and the US out of Georgia, we also have other regional distributors for various areas. Can you DM me the name of the shop, I would like to reach out and solve this. If their regional distributor is slow, I would like to address it.

The S/M I have are the older ones that are a lighter, floppier material than the stiffer material used on the L. Can’t really tell the difference though.

There is a significantly noticeable difference.

Years ago I asked to buy a separate spring strap to have an extra and I was told they were not available at all. So don’t even think about trying to get one.

We will happily sell them if there is a need. To date, I only know of two fin springs breaking, one of them was hit by a boat prop.

Here's a photo of the size S/M fin with US size 7 bootie. The bootie is snug, there is no space to fit a finger between the bootie and foot pocket - how about for you guys and your Eddys?

The spring heel strap is pulled back quite a lot, probably 1.5-2 inches.

I don't really see any stretch in that spring at all, it appears totally unstressed? It honestly looks like with longer straps it might actually be loose. To me it looks like this is the size for you. Feel free the send me a video if you would like. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Cheers,
Landon

I had the same problem. The Small fit my boot fine but the strap was tight. I swapped it with Hollis F1 fins. The F1 strap are identical to the Eddys.

I also asked Deep 6 if I can order a longer strap and was told the same thing. As I said I was able to replace the strap with a longer F1 strap and the fin has been fine since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom