Substituting strap for Deep 6 Eddys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased deep 6 eddy fins S/M. Pocket fits my size 7 booties well but the spring heel straps (at the longest setting) have been too tight against my 5mm booties and been giving me blisters for months of diving. I had emailed Deep 6 to ask if I could purchase longer heel straps from them and they replied that they do not sell spring heel straps stand-alone, and that they had to be requested at the time of purchase.

Are there any other compatible spring heel straps from other brands I could use to replace them? I’m new to heel strap adjustments.
Maybe it's just me, but that feels like a strange thing for a business to say...not saying they didn't say that mind you, just feels strange...especially when it's an easy part like a heel strap. I would think they would be all over that, even so much as saying hey, we will send you a bigger one, free of charge....because I mean, at the end of the day, business wants to make money...and happy customers promote great gear and companies...just feels like a cheap way to increase customer retention, and promote future customers.

But that's me lol, I don't run a multi million dollar company.

Deep6 over here all willy wonka like:
Celeste Headlee on Twitter: I, Donald Trump, forfeit all rights,  privileges, and licenses as President et cetera, et cetera...Fax mentis  incendium gloria cultum et cetera, et cetera...It's all there, black and  white,

lol

Maybe it's just me, but that feels like a strange thing for a business to say...not saying they didn't say that mind you, just feels strange...especially when it's an easy part like a heel strap. I would think they would be all over that, even so much as saying hey, we will send you a bigger one, free of charge....because I mean, at the end of the day, business wants to make money...and happy customers promote great gear and companies...just feels like a cheap way to increase customer retention, and promote future customers.

But that's me lol, I don't run a multi million dollar company.

Deep6 over here all willy wonka like:
Celeste Headlee on Twitter: I, Donald Trump, forfeit all rights,  privileges, and licenses as President et cetera, et cetera...Fax mentis  incendium gloria cultum et cetera, et cetera...It's all there, black and  white,'s all there, black and  white,

lol
I got the impression they're a small company, US-based and not as multinational as Scubapro. I got the last pair of Deep 6 from old stock of a local dive company in asia. I've asked them to bring in Deep 6 because of how good it is and that I would want to recommend them to new divers here. But they said they wouldn't bring in Deep 6 anymore because response is slow. Which, if Deep 6 is a small company, I would completely understand not being able to have time to do more business internationally.

Currently, while wondering what on earth to do with my fins (do I try bungeeing them, do I try buying something like Halcyon/OMS's longer steel straps and hope they fit, do I just order from Deep 6 directly a size up -- cause it seems like one size up the length of the foot pocket barely changes), I'm also considering OMS Slipstream because I've heard great things about it.

Thanks, yes then I think it is too small and need a size up. Question about the Deep 6 fins (usually S/M) and flippers (larger sizes from L), is there a difference in performance?
I use S/M diving wet and L when diving dry. The S/M I have are the older ones that are a lighter, floppier material than the stiffer material used on the L. Can’t really tell the difference though.

Just get some bungee and try that.

Years ago I asked to buy a separate spring strap to have an extra and I was told they were not available at all. So don’t even think about trying to get one.

If you try and order a pair of fins yourself directly from Deep6, the shipping is going to be extremely expensive. So consider yourself warned.

I would just bungee them, I do it with nearly all of my fins because it seems all springs are far to short for me, fins don’t have to be crushed onto your foot.

@vemura you can bungee them and use a few zip ties to hold them together (I think @lexvil has a picture floating around of his like that?). There's also a few other fins out there that use the same "screw through the spring" connection. Hollis is one, I could easily swap my Hollis on the D6 and vice versa.

I got the impression they're a small company, US-based and not as multinational as Scubapro. I got the last pair of Deep 6 from old stock of a local dive company in asia. I've asked them to bring in Deep 6 because of how good it is and that I would want to recommend them to new divers here. But they said they wouldn't bring in Deep 6 anymore because response is slow. Which, if Deep 6 is a small company, I would completely understand not being able to have time to do more business internationally.
Deep6 is definitely a small company, located in the US state of Georgia. I recently visited their facility simply because I live in the state, was curious, and picked up an order at the same time.
I use S/M diving wet and L when diving dry.
I have been using L Eddys for wetsuit diving and suffered blisters, so my plan is to size up. I think they just tend to run small.

I've had wear on the back of the heel with Eddy's, but seems to originate with the stiff re-enforcement on heel of the bootie being the exact height where my ankle bends. Swapping booties and wearing a nylon/spandex sock cured that issue. Just a thought.

Here's a photo of the size S/M fin with US size 7 bootie. The bootie is snug, there is no space to fit a finger between the bootie and foot pocket - how about for you guys and your Eddys?

The spring heel strap is pulled back quite a lot, probably 1.5-2 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_8309 (1).jpg
    IMG_8309 (1).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 84
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom