Stronger/Tougher Duffel/Mesh Bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use this as my boat bag: Meister Mesh Duffel Backpack Dive Bag w/ Dry Pocket [1097DBXLBK] - $34.99 : Meister, Elite Gear & Apparel

meister_dive_bag_backpack_mesh_XL_black.jpg

It's mesh, but a very tight mesh. Hard to see inside. They're much tougher than regular mesh bags. They pack down small. Large enough for 2 people's gear (without wetsuits).

I use this as my boat bag: Meister Mesh Duffel Backpack Dive Bag w/ Dry Pocket [1097DBXLBK] - $34.99 : Meister, Elite Gear & Apparel

View attachment 570734

It's mesh, but a very tight mesh. Hard to see inside. They're much tougher than regular mesh bags. They pack down small. Large enough for 2 people's gear (without wetsuits).

How are the straps holding up? I had the Akona Stealth which I think is similar mesh (it's a bit more dense/foamy and not see through). Do you have any issues with water retention does does the bag truly drain well?

Green army duffel,,,No-See-Thru,,,No wheels,,,, 2 sets of gear easily,,,Multiple carry strap configurations, Waterproof(almost), Folds Flat,,,Practically industructable,,,Super Cheep @ surplus store. Best of all ..Theft Protection>>>> no one will touch it because they think it's your smelly laundry !!

One problem I see is that scuba manufacturers are selling things that are not directly related to their core business. Many sell dive knives but are over-priced and perhaps poor quality. Instead, buy a dive knife from a knife manufacturer; don't buy a dive knife from a company that makes regulators!

Here, I would look for a manufacturer who specializes in carrying things like The North Face. I have had around 6 of their duffel bags in various sizes and they are bomb-proof; unfortunately, they fall apart after 20 years of hard use! LOL. I also travel and use a Swiss Army rolling, soft-sided suitcase rather than a suitcase from a regulator manufacturer.

I have an Apeks regulator bag, and after a few uses, the zipper broke. The regulator manufacture makes high quality regulators, and outsourced the bag at a very low price point to keep the overall price as low as possible. The result is a poor quality bag from a high quality dive gear manufacturer. I also have a mesh bag and the plastic D rings that hold the carry strap broke within a few dives. Again, a crap bag from a good gear manufacturer.

Therefore, look at non-dive gear manufacturers and stores like Army Surplus for some of your dive gear.

Rant finished against dive manufacturers who cut quality corners to keep costs low. It is okay to add $5 to the consumer cost and give me good quality zippers and metal attachment points.

I've been using the same Mares mesh backpack strapped bag for over 20 years. I've noticed that the new ones use a much more rigid mesh. So might not last 25+ years. :)

How are the straps holding up? I had the Akona Stealth which I think is similar mesh (it's a bit more dense/foamy and not see through). Do you have any issues with water retention does does the bag truly drain well?
Great so far, but I've only been using it for about 2 years. I load it up and toss it around without much care. The only part of it that doesn't drain well is the waterproof end pocket, which also develops a lovely odor after a while without cleaning. I often just dunk the entire bag with fins and stuff in it in the dunk tank though, so that's totally my fault. When I get home from a trip, I open all the pockets and toss it in the tub to soak with some wetsuit wash.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Great so far, but I've only been using it for about 2 years. I load it up and toss it around without much care. The only part of it that doesn't drain well is the waterproof end pocket, which also develops a lovely odor after a while without cleaning. I often just dunk the entire bag with fins and stuff in it in the dunk tank though, so that's totally my fault. When I get home from a trip, I open all the pockets and toss it in the tub to soak with some wetsuit wash.

I went ahead and ordered one of these to try it out! I might end up needing two as it doesnt seem that large (for 2 people's gear anyway).

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I went ahead and ordered one of these to try it out! I might end up needing two as it doesnt seem that large (for 2 people's gear anyway).
Good stuff. Value for the dollar wise, I'm yet to see a bag that comes close. Be sure to let us know how you like them when they show up.

Old thread I know but if anyone is still looking...Hollis makes a heavy duty large duffel bag. However, it does have some breathable heavy mesh material (not much), it’s not cheap and quite large for one person but ideal for two people.

Dive Bag "Ballistic Mesh"

Specifications:
  • 41” long x 16” wide
  • Hand straps double as shoulder straps
  • Rust resistant zippers
  • Durable ballistic mesh material
  • Velcro side pocket for small items

MMB-2__96235.1614197630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom