Storing Regulators -- Any Reason Not To Leave Hooked Up To Tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are getting into tech and using oxygen for deco or high O2 ditch the silicone and just go all oxygen compatible lube, less chance of cross contamination and better performance
Not to mention silicone is a sand magnet.... tribolube doesn't seem to be as much

I'll have to try putting a small amount of lube on the DIN threads. I sometimes get an awful metal on metal screeching noise when tightening on the regs.

Surely you remove your regs to refill the tanks? Then as they are off, wash the regs, your BCD/wings/whatever and also wash the tanks? Why would you then put regs back on the tanks and store this way? Why not wait till you need them?

Surely you remove your regs to refill the tanks? Then as they are off, wash the regs, your BCD/wings/whatever and also wash the tanks? Why would you then put regs back on the tanks and store this way? Why not wait till you need them?
I generally wash them with a hose, on the tanks. I prefer to store them on the tanks because when I need them I like them to be organized.

Same. I hook my regs back up to my tanks when I wash them--having them pressurized prevents water from getting in, and you can purge them with fresh water--so it's easier to let them dry that way and keep them on.

If the regs are on the tank when I get back I leave them in. If the regs are off the tank I leave them in my reg bag. I udually leave them on the tanks while getting fills too.

For us, we wash right at the dive site. When we are done, especially in salt water, we leave the unit pressurized. If we are traveling, all the places we have gone so far have showers on the beach. We clean all of our gear, then swap on fresh tanks so we are ready to go for next dive. The only time it is fully broken down is when it is time to pack up and head home.

If we are local diving I keep a sprayer tank in my truck. We clean the gear at the end of our diving. When using singles we do store it taken apart. When diving doubles I usually leave everything hooked up because to fill I just take one first stage off and transfill out of my other tanks.

I read that you should not lubricate the threads nor the O ring of the DIN interface, but I've been putting a very small amount of silicone grease on the threads and the O ring and find it goes on much smoother and the O ring seals better, and with even a small amount of grease it will not seize.

You should use an O2 clean lube like Christolube or Tribolube. I know the chances are slim, they are your tanks, yada, yada, but putting silicone grease in your tank valves and possibly others at a fill station is just asking for trouble.

I have one tank that I leave assembled with a backpack and a reg. Whole thing is very easy to handle and I bring it along in the car if I'm in the lakes region and think there's a chance someone might want me to fix a mooring or retrieve a lost object. No problems so far. It's a yoke reg and valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom