New to DIN, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIN regs can be a bit fiddly to get threaded onto the valve and can be surprisingly frustrating. Try gently holding the reg ...

I find that some wine, chocolates and roses work wonders when they become finicky and frustrating to deal with.

Be careful with vinegar. It will strip the chrome plating from there brass reg body. You can still use it to remove anything bad, but realize you are dissolving part of your first stage when you do.

Don't use vinegar regularly.

Also most regs have screw on tank connections, and you can thread those on yourself before a trip. A yoke adapter is still useful, but they do add extra points of failure and bulk. When I dove, I had separate rec, sidemount and doubles regs. I had planned to swap things around but it became a pita...
Thanks. I won't use vinegar. Is CLR good to use?

All of this talk regarding being careful with getting water in the inlet (which is typically very important) makes me very glad that all 4 of my DIN regs are Aqua Lungs equipped with ACD. Problem solved.

Thanks. I won't use vinegar. Is CLR good to use?
I have no clue...we used simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I have no clue...we used simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner.
The vinegar. None of my 12 Poseidon regulators are worse for the wear after doing this for 20 years. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and I reckon most divers do not.

The vinegar. None of my 12 Poseidon regulators are worse for the wear after doing this for 20 years. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner and I reckon most divers do not.
Vinegar does remove chrome. You are proof that you can use it in certain amounts, but it can also cause issues.

The commentary on that link is not mine btw.

The main reason we use DIN is to better capture the O-Ring. At pressures above 3000 psi with a yoke setup O-Rings may extrude. Snug it down, snug not TIGHT.

Toss it in a bag somewhere. It doesn't go in the water with you.
Mine does - it’s attached:

IMG_5990.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom