New to DIN, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine does - it’s attached:

View attachment 797001
I cut those attached ones off before I ever dive the reg. I install a proper delrin threaded cap instead which stays in the reg bag. And my regs have ACD! I personally just hate the ‘take along on the dive’ caps. I reuse the slide-on DIN caps on my DIN pressure gauges since they come with no cap at all.

I cut those attached ones off before I ever dive the reg. I install a proper delrin threaded cap instead which stays in the reg bag. And my regs have ACD! I personally just hate the ‘take along on the dive’ caps. I reuse the slide-on DIN caps on my DIN pressure gauges since they come with no cap at all.
I see no need to do that at all. The one pictured works just fine and I never have to look for it when disassembling the gear - to each their own.

I see no need to do that at all. The one pictured works just fine and I never have to look for it when disassembling the gear - to each their own.
They don’t seal properly and are a fantastic way to constantly trap saltwater against the threads.

As for finding the delrin threaded cap after the dive, it’s in the bag you put it in. The same bag you took your regs out of. The same bag you’re now putting your regs back into. It’s there waiting, nice and dry. :wink:

They don’t seal properly and are a fantastic way to constantly trap saltwater against the threads.

As for finding the delrin threaded cap after the dive, it’s in the bag you put it in. The same bag you took your regs out of. The same bag you’re now putting your regs back into. It’s there waiting, nice and dry. :wink:
I dry off the cap and reg threads before I put it back on and have not had any problems. Once the cap is back on, I’m not dunking it in salt or freshwater so not really concerned if it doesn’t seal perfectly. So… I’m good - you do you!

Last year while diving in the keys, friends continued to have problems seating their din regs. I use yolk style and didn't have din o rings.

When I got some din o rings from a LDS, I noticed they were slightly different in size. They were not standard yolk size.

Do different brand din tank valves use different size o rings?

Sorry didn't read all 5 pages of post. It appears as if the question has been answered.

Last year while diving in the keys, friends continued to have problems seating their din regs. I use yolk style and didn't have din o rings.

When I got some din o rings from a LDS, I noticed they were slightly different in size. They were not standard yolk size.

Sorry didn't read all 5 pages of post. It appears as if the question has been answered.
DIN is fully standardised.
Yoke instead have some variations among makers...
Problems with DIN is usually bad threads in the valve, due to mishandling/shocks. These impede to screw in entirely, leaving too much gap between the O-ring and the mating surface in the bottom of the threaded hole

YOKE. YOKE. A "yolk" is the yellow part of an egg.

Different brands of DIN regs use different size Orings.
112 is pretty standard.
Apeks uses 111
Poseidon uses some metric random oring but either a 112 or 111 will work in a pinch.

That DIN can be a PITA? That the dust cap is never where I left it, the threads in the receiving tank are buggered up, that the deck hand grabs the tank by the regulator body and in so doing loosens the DIN fitting in the regulator body causing a loud pop and an equally loud hiss, that most rental tanks in NA and the Caribbean Basin are A-clamp/Yoke and may not always have a convertible valve/insert and that the then required A-clamp adapter is the worst of both DIN and A-clamp? But, yes, in a perfect world DIN is probably better.

. . . But, yes, in a perfect world DIN is probably better.
Right. DIN is better when you are the owner and caretaker of the tanks you dive, and you are not diving off a boat where crewmembers unfamiliar with the idiosyncrasies of DIN will be handling your rig. For local diving--mainly cave diving--I use DIN regs, but for tropical vacation diving I take my yoke reg.

Back
Top Bottom