Regulator won't seat properly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for taking an interest. The nick is not the source of the problem as you say. The leak is not right at the seat. There is a leak (bubbles) coming from under the yoke distance piece and also between the turret and the main body of the 1st stage, so I suspect something is going on inside -- bad o-ring in the yoke nut and/or turret maybe? (As others have suggested.)

Anyway, I am just trying to decide whether I am actually curious enough to spend the money on the tools to try and work on this myself, or just send it off for a rebuild. It would be substantially cheaper to just send it off. On the other hand, at this point, I am starting to think someday I am going to have to do this myself. (Maybe I'll take the HOG course at some point.)
Like i said, it could be a soft or bad oring under the yoke/din. Not talking about the external oring.

You will need a few basic tools. It is tough to open a regulator with out a vice for example.

Sorry if I missed it, what is your first stage?

If you're interested, it is a Sea Elite Covert (diaphragm, yoke, with a swivel turret). The reg looks very similar to a Hog D1X, DGX Gears D6, Dive Rite XT1, and the Taiwan Ocean Divers Supply RG-1002.

... Any thoughts on what is going on or how to fix this? ...

Make sure that the nozzle assembly, assuming that this regulator has a removable assembly, is tight into the first stage body.

+1. If you haven't done this already, and you have a full cylinder handy, then you might fill your bathtub, submerge your cylinder and pressurized reg, and look carefully for the source of the leak. A hiss can emanate from any of several locations on your 1st stage, including its port plugs, and the hoses connecting into the 1st stage. (Have you changed around or changed out your hoses recently?)

Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry, I replied before reading the 2nd page of posts. Looks like you've already done the submerge-and-look-for-leak thing.

rx7diver

I don't like to post problems myself and then not end the story. Anyway, I chickened out of opening up the reg on my own and sent it back to Diver's Supply for service. Got it back -- problem solved with a minimum of hassle. (I've been diving mostly Sea Elite Coverts in cold water the last six years, and they have held up very well.)

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

I don't like to post problems myself and then not end the story. Anyway, I chickened out of opening up the reg on my own and sent it back to Diver's Supply for service. Got it back -- problem solved with a minimum of hassle. (I've been diving mostly Sea Elite Coverts in cold water the last six years, and they have held up very well.)

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

And how did they solve the problem?

And how did they solve the problem?

Sadly, I confess that at the end of the day I don't know for certain. They serviced the regulator. Ultimately the laziest option for me was also pretty inexpensive. I am pretty sure that folks here were correct -- -o-ring damaged.

I am interested in doing this myself at some point, but I have to admit every time I look at buying the tools and spending the time, I usually decide that it is easier to send it out. I have a Conshelf that I may take apart over the winter and try to put back together.

The knowledge of folks here is really amazing -- I don't know how you get to that level of understanding. I might hope (some day) to figure out one or two regulators, but you guys seem to know it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom