Regulator won't seat properly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure that the nozzle assembly, assuming that this regulator has a removable assembly, is tight into the first stage body.

I really appreciate everyone's answers and help. I think this one could be the winner (and Lexvil suggested it too, I believe). Of course, out of all of the many wrenches sitting down in my basement, the exact one that I need to check this seems to have gone missing. I will post back if this turns out to be the answer. Thanks to everyone!

Well, as it turns out, the problem is not in the actual seat. After putting the regulator in the bathtub with a pony tank, bubbles came out from under the plastic piece (distance piece?) separating the yoke from the body of the first stage and from between the turret and the rest of the first stage. Wow. I am going to send in to Diver's Supply and have them rebuild. I'm also going to check my other Sea Elite regs, although all of those seem to be working fine.

What would cause that? Missing or bad o-rings? The yoke clamp connector would not turn any tighter.

The inlet gets loose, the o-ring extrudes, the inflet is tightened and it cuts the oring.

Solution is to remove the inlet, replace the oring and then reinstall with appropriate torque.

Wow. I am going to send in to Diver's Supply and have them rebuild.

Wow. If you listen to Still Kicking above, you could do it yourself and have money to buy film for your camera

Thanks again guys! Maybe I will pull it out and take a look, although Divers Supply service is not expensive (and they are not at fault for this issue). Debating on whether I am really curious enough to spend the time.

Well, as it turns out, the problem is not in the actual seat. After putting the regulator in the bathtub with a pony tank, bubbles came out from under the plastic piece (distance piece?) separating the yoke from the body of the first stage and from between the turret and the rest of the first stage. Wow. I am going to send in to Diver's Supply and have them rebuild. I'm also going to check my other Sea Elite regs, although all of those seem to be working fine.

What would cause that? Missing or bad o-rings? The yoke clamp connector would not turn any tighter.
I had this problem on a DS4 (din) i rebuilt. It would pop when pressurized and i saw bubbles in the same place.

The problem ended up being a too soft (lower duro) oring. I replaced it with the proper part and all was well.

I had this problem on a DS4 (din) i rebuilt. It would pop when pressurized and i saw bubbles in the same place.

The problem ended up being a too soft (lower duro) oring. I replaced it with the proper part and all was well.

I have encountered this numerous times, IME replacing tank O ring has always solved the issue. YMMV.

I have a yoke regulator that hisses when attached to the valve. Obviously, my first reaction was to change the tank o-ring, but that didn't make a difference and other regulators worked fine on the tank. The regulator at issue appears to have a small air leak at the seat when attached to other tanks too. This is a development as of this summer. (Regulator has been used for several years and serviced over the winter. The problem occurred the first time hooked up this summer.) My guess is that it is probably actually not so bad as to not be diveable for easy rec dives, but I don't really want a regulator with bubbles coming out from the seat.

There does appear to be a very, very small nick on the yoke where it attaches to the tank, but it is tiny and does not go all the way across the ring. Any thoughts on what is going on or how to fix this? (It is a Sea Elite Covert. I know it's a cheap reg, but these have worked well for me for years.)

A picture speaks a thousand words. Interested to see the "very very small nick", if it is as you say I'd doubt that that is the cause of the leak.

Before I tighten yoke I twist the fitting side to side to ensure it's seating properly.

A picture speaks a thousand words. Interested to see the "very very small nick", if it is as you say I'd doubt that that is the cause of the leak.

Before I tighten yoke I twist the fitting side to side to ensure it's seating properly.
Thanks for taking an interest. The nick is not the source of the problem as you say. The leak is not right at the seat. There is a leak (bubbles) coming from under the yoke distance piece and also between the turret and the main body of the 1st stage, so I suspect something is going on inside -- bad o-ring in the yoke nut and/or turret maybe? (As others have suggested.)

Anyway, I am just trying to decide whether I am actually curious enough to spend the money on the tools to try and work on this myself, or just send it off for a rebuild. It would be substantially cheaper to just send it off. On the other hand, at this point, I am starting to think someday I am going to have to do this myself. (Maybe I'll take the HOG course at some point.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom