Stillhouse Hollow, Lake Travis, and cooler diving conditions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eieio_24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking to get some current information and conditions on diving at Stillhouse Hollow Lake - near Belton, TX. Also, any new recent conditions at Lake Travis, especially Tom Hughs Park or Mansfield Dam Park.

Also, I was wanting to get some opinions on diving during the colder weather - like what temperature would be pretty comfortable with a 7mm suit, hood, gloves, booties and with the lake temperatures falling. I saw a Dec. 8th posting for Stillhouse being at 59 degrees, and was really wanting to dive it soon - its supposed to be a very clear lake with great visibility - averaging 15' or more.

My last dive was Oct. 16 at Mansfield Dam Park, and it was pretty cool, but still very comfortable with Lake Travis at mid 70 degrees, a 5mm suit, gloves and booties, and no hood. Until I got out, it was fine - getting out was cold. A nearby hot shower facility would have been good to use to get out of my gear and into dry clothes.

I dove lake travis when getting my advanced cert.. I vowed never to return.

I wont understand why people want to dive where the vis is that bad.. to each their own.. you may want to check some more local message boards for your answers..

I live about 25 minutes from Stillhhouse and have dived there a couple of dozen times in the past two years, mostly night dives from the marina. Water temps are now at 59 degrees with 10 to 15 ft viz. The temp I'll go with but not too sure on the viz report. Stillhouse is one of those places where you can have 10' today and 2' tomorrow. Aquatic life is fairly plentiful. There is a dive park with a few boats, cars, etc. (30 - 40') It's not a bad lake to dive. I've dived in a lot worse (Lake Belton, Lake Waco).

There is a dive shop at the marina which is handy for refills, etc. If the water temp does not drop too much, I'd like to dive it the weekend after Christmas to christen my new wetsuit and try out a navigation board I built this fall. If you're interested, shoot me a message and we'll set something up.

I wont understand why people want to dive where the vis is that bad.. to each their own.. you may want to check some more local message boards for your answers..
I beg to differ. No doubt, Travis is not the Caribbean. However, diving in less than perfect conditions (alright, downright crappy conditions at times) will strengthen a diver's self-confidence in his or her skills and equipment. This will carry on into those dream dives making them even more enjoyable and relaxing. I'd like to invite you to join some of us "Texas Swamp Divers" at Travis. I can't guarantee you'll change your mind about Travis, but you'll definitely get to meet some great folks who are very passionate about the dive.

I am looking to get some current information and conditions on diving at Stillhouse Hollow Lake - near Belton, TX.

I have made quite a few dives at Stillhouse, although I havent been there for over a year I bet. In the spring of 2007 the lake flooded and was closed for most activities for a long time and I had other things going on which contributed to my absence.

It is still one of my favorites when it isnt too windy. I am glad to see the recent reports of decent vis.

I have some info and a few pictures here if you are interested. I also have a picture with fairly accurate locations of some of the areas of interest in the 'scubapark'. I havent done the html yet, but here is the image. North is up, so you can estimate fairly closely what the bearings are from spot to spot. I have a better version of this, but cant put my hands on it right at the moment.

ScubaparkEstimate-01.jpg

I have done quite a few dives down to 54 df in my 6.5mm suit with a good hood and gloves. It is cold, but not a problem for me provided it isnt too cold on the surface. I sometimes add a 1 mil vest under the suit.

Willie

Originally Posted by psychocabbage

I agree with Old School's reply. Travis is not too bad depending on when you go. I've been freediving / spearfishing there for over a year, and just started scuba diving in August. The vis is often 10' and sometimes a lot more. Not bad for being a 'local' lake to dive. If there is a bad report on the vis at Travis, it is probably due to when the dive was, or where. Tom Hughs and Mansfield Dam Park usually has outstanding visibility.

I was at Stillhouse a couple weeks ago and vis was about 10 feet above 40 FFW and less than 5 ft below 50 FFW.

Willie - We also found a paved roadway south of the water plant that heads off to the NE, dropping down into the valley east of the water plant before it heads back up towards the COE HQ. There is a serious triple span cement bridge where it used to cross the old creek bed. Should be good in the spring when the deep water clears up again.

I was at Stillhouse a couple weeks ago and vis was about 10 feet above 40 FFW and less than 5 ft below 50 FFW.

Willie - We also found a paved roadway south of the water plant that heads off to the NE, dropping down into the valley east of the water plant before it heads back up towards the COE HQ. There is a serious triple span cement bridge where it used to cross the old creek bed. Should be good in the spring when the deep water clears up again.

Is the lake as badly 'down' like so many others?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom