Stevsgarage wants a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rice

Reaction score
OK, the previous thread for this was hijacked by people on both sides and has become totally useless.

Why don't we try to be helpful to this person who wants a "cool" BC and try to give him suggestions of brands and styles we like and Reasons that they are good and bad.

A great example was the explination in the previous thread about the HUB system going through it's shortcomings.

Clearly he could have asked for opinions on Backplates and wings if he wanted to. Let's just consider that he didn't and he gave good examples of what he likes and why.

And please, let's keep it clean

Copied text Follows:

I want a cool BC

My old BC looks a little ragged and very much out of date. I think something very cool is in order.

I want something I can travel with but still use in the local lakes, moderate to warm water rec diving.I have been looking at the Mares Pegasus, and Morphos (I like the way it folds into a bag for carring) and the Dacor Talon AT.

You might notice all of these BC's have the new air trim device and some sort of carring device built in. I do like the neatness and convenience of these units. I am also thinking about Mares and Dacors new HUB units but they may be a little more than I want to spend, although concidering they are equiped with regs they may not be that high.

If anyone out there has used or has an opinion on these units I would appreciate your input. I would also welcome your opinion on other BC's for easy traveling and rec. diving.

OK seriously, in the last thread I did recommend the Beuchat Masterlift tech. I have one of these, and used to dive it until I got my Pioneer wings. If you are looking for a BC and not a BP, I would recommend this one.

I echo the concerns expressed in the earlier thread regarding the AirTrim feature. If it fails, you stand to lose a tank.

I would seriously recommend that you consider a Halcyon Pioneer 27 or 36. The 27 is good for diving with AL tanks, while the 36 is appropriate for steel tanks and a drysuit.

The units fit closely to your body and really lock the tank into position. The weight over your lungs helps you acheive horizontal trim and maintain with minimal effort.

Personally, I also like the way that the plate distributes the weight over your entire back. This is particularly nice with heavier tanks. I can honestly say that barely notice an AL80.

What I like best is the way that you can move through the water. There are significant reductions in drag because there are no front pockets or large bladders.

Travelling is quite easy. I tend to remove and deflate the wing, fold up the straps, put it in the suitcase and go. I have no need for additional bags.

The wing functions well in Carribean and cold water alike.

If your diving is exclusively tropical/warm water or if you dive in situations where you wear very little weight, you may also want to consider a Pioneer 18. It literally feels like there is nothing there. However, if you are considering this option, I recommend that you hurry. I've been told by knowledgable friends that Halcyon may stop making the 18.

In terms of coolness, the Halcyon looks, and is, a tech rig. You will draw looks and questions (some good, some not). It is also safe and fairly bulletproof.

Some people regard the lack of many D-rings as a downside. While I disagree for reasons that I will not go into here, it is no problem to add additional rings if you really need them.

If you really don't want a BP&W, I would follow JamesK's suggestion. I have not used a Beuchat BC; however, I use one of their regs on my singles rig. They are a good company with excellent customer service.

Good luck.

If you must have the airtrim system, or something like it, Scubapro just came out with a version of the Classic with the pneumatic air system.

Personally, I use a Transpac II with the 30# travel wing. It packs small, is streamlined (no front pockets), secure (without a crotch strap) and very comfortable. On the upper tank band I hjave a weight pouch which provides trim benefits similar to that of a BP.

Othe BC's that I like are the Seaquest Balance and the Zeagle Escape. I saw a Sherwood Freedom down at CCV last week and it looked OK. Dacor has a new back inflate hardpack with reasonable lift capacity, but I can't remember the name at the moment.

I second the Halcyon Pioneer setup. The 27lbs wing is great. Halcyon makes a top quality product.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
I second the Halcyon Pioneer setup. The 27lbs wing is great. Halcyon makes a top quality product.

Well, if we are getting on the backplate kick, I agree with the above quote. I would recommend this over ANY setup.

I like the Seaquest Balance and the Pioneer system that other mention.

Good luck in your search and I am sorry the other thread got off topic.

Chad

leadweight once bubbled...
Dacor has a new back inflate hardpack with reasonable lift capacity, but I can't remember the name at the moment.
Dacor Rig or Rig Pro, maybe?
Dacor
I use the Rig Pro. Bladder is massive (70lb lift). Despite the fact that I may be opening this thread up for hijacking :pirate: (yes, you know who you are :wink: ), I just wanted to say it's a great BC. BP/Wing is nice, and I think I'll eventually graduate to that. But for me, the Rig Pro is good :D. My DM uses a Ranger and says good things.

My .02

Frequently on this board someone will ask for an oppinion on X, Y, Z and any other BC's. The question is what does "any other BC's" mean in context?

In law there are rules of construction for situations like this. If X, Y, and Z are all jacket BC's then any other BC's means any other jacket BC's. It is my sincere hope that this type of interpretation be adopted by the moderators of this forum so that new members can ask questions about BC's (without having to specify don't bother me about backplates) and not find their question turned into a BP vs everything else, or DIR vs everything else battleground.

Everyone, DIR or not, has a right to state their opinion, but things are out of control in this forum. I will repeat another suggestion which is to separate all posts about backplates into a separate forum from the BC forum.

The present situation is not acceptable with members on both sides of the debate acting unreasonably.

The Dacor BC that I am thinking about is the Falcon, it has 34# of lift in all sizes. Believe me, I am no fan of the Rig Pro or anything else with a massive air bag.

Back
Top Bottom