Stevsgarage wants a cool BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok people... you've already hijacked one thread on this topic.. lets try to keep this one on topic. Head over to the other thread if you'd like to argue.

In order to try and actually give the original poster a decent thread; lets just tell 'em what you got; and why.

I think your third paragraph sums it up, "IMO, backplates are off topic here and I probably should have limited my first post to jacket possibilities."

This is your opinion and not everyone elses.It seems like your overselling the use of your opinion.Let everyone post what they recommend and think is cool.The buyer will decide what he wants.What works for you may not work for me.What works for me may not work for someone else.Dont try to supress the opinion of others cause they dive a bp/wing,instead help create a toolbox so the buyer can pick whichever tool that he feels will serve him best.

leadweight once bubbled...
That is why such a rule of statutory construction was adopted in the first place.

You've referenced one rule of statutory construction. There are others that are as equally valid and appropriate.

Regardless, we are not construing a statute. We are discussing BC's. Back Plates are BC's. Get over it.

You've corrected the defects in your original post by explaining why you like the BC. That gives the poster some basis for evaluating your opinion.

I disagree with your claim that the BC in question is more streamlined than a BP&W because it does not appear that it has an equal or smaller cross-sectional area.

Your other points are valid. I leave it to the poster to determine which is best.

BTW, I guarantee a debate, in as much depth and at whatever level of vitriol you suggest, each and every time that you try to tell me what I can and cannot post. This is separate and distinct from any other discussion. Keep in mind that this will result in more of the threads you claim to dislike.

lal7176 bubbled...

Had i known about bp/wings prior to purchasing my knighthawk i would have saved close to....

I may have to place myself in the same category. Had I known more about the concept of a BP/wing, I may have opted for it as well.

Instead I chose what looked and felt like it would serve my needs and diving style. I bought a back inflate (with way more lift than I'll ever need ~ but it came that way and doesn't seem to affect me much) with weight integration, both trim weights just behind the shoulder blades & in waist strap. Seems to be moderately responsive in acquiring C/G adjustment. Bought both it and a 7mm drysuit about the same time, and still working out the bugs with the combination. Personally, I like not having the weight belt.

4 D-rings right at pectoral level, slightly bent which allows easy clipping

No side pockets. I always hated those. Just one little one in the front that I keep a rescue mask & marker in (yeah, I know now it should go on thigh, but...)

No "around the body" inflation. Bad for trim, and I hate that squeeze and being forced into an upright position. And I managed to figure that out on my own 15-18 years ago when I dove with a Seatec Manta.

Dosen't have a true BP, but it's got a flexible synthetic "plate' that rides against my back. One of the first things I noticed about the set up was that it was a lot more stable that any other BC I'd ever had on. I'm sure not as stable as a BP/wing, but a darn sigth better than a "jacket".

Has a ring to attach a crotch strap, but I don't need one for the diving I do. A SS plate & bands for a doubles setup is available for it. Don't have need for it as yet.

So it may be a BP/wing look alike rip-off, but it works for me.

Raxafarian bubbled...

Don't buy gadgets. Don't buy gimmicks. Try as many different bc's as possible...

and

...It is unfortunate that the majority of shops don't seem to offer a bp/wing hanging on the wall next to the other bc's. The new diver usually only has the LDS's recommendations to base purchases on.

I didn't try on all that I could, but I had used several types over the years, and pretty much knew what I was after performance wise. I'm so against mass marketing, that I won't buy or wear clothes that have a tag on them big enough to read more than ten feet away. If they want me to advertise for them, they should offer me a discount, not jack the price up by 50%.

It's not a true BP/wing, but it's a reasonable compromise that I can live with. I dive mostly with my wife & daughter. My wife would never dive with them. She's a fair weather skier, fair water diver. I don't think she would think she "was looking good" in that kind of set up. (She also thinks pink is a good color for diving. She's got color coordinated 3 mil shorty,7 mil full and Scubapro classic jacket~ well, at least I know which one she is in a group) Thing is, that's OK with me. I know~~I can hear you guys cringing, but if you could see her in her swimsuit, it'd be OK with you, too!

I see a lot of valid reasons to dive a BP, but none of them are, as yet, and may not ever be, a signifiant enough issue for me to go out and invest in new gear. At least not until my current rig deteriorates to the point it is no longer functional. Then, I'd probably not look at anything else.

Sorry your last thread got hijacked. That got ugly!

Disclaimer
Please be advised that the value of this opinion is directly correlated to the compensation you paid for it. Which is to say~nothing. The opinions expressed herein are solely the ramblings of a water hungry diver sitting around on a Friday afternoon waiting for his family to get home, and should in no way be construed as having been provided to insight a riot.

It's just my thoughts, which is what davsgarage asked!

I've had a lot of interest in this BC for awhile now, can anyone out there tell me what they like/dislike about it?

I'm looking for a back inflation BC that I can get at a reasonable price, preferably weight integrated and uncluttered around the sides and front. Maybe attachable pockets would be nice for fossil and shell collecting.

I'm aware of the available BP/Wing possibilties and am sure that I will eventually get one. I'm really looking for something different and other options.

Thanks alot,
Rice

The main good thing about the Nighthawk is that it is built by Scubapro. Although the wing is a big larger than optimal for singles (by optimal I mean 30# to 35#) the designers managed to get it to fold up and stay out of the way. The main negative is that it is rather heavy and bulky to pack. This is somewhat a function of the Scubapro hardpack design and an industrial stregnth set of integrated weight pockets.

My main recommendation would be the Transpac II with travel wing. Short of going to a BP, it has the most uncluttered front of a BC you will ever find. It is modular so that weight pockets can be added if desired. Several different attachable pockets are available. Because it is a softpack it gets its shape and rigidity from the tank that it is attached to. This also makes it easy to pack. By the way, I use mine without pockets and with a 4# tank weight on the top tank band. I am weight integrated using a custom system based on Halcyon trim pockets which are much smaller than Diverite's weight system.

I really can not think of a way to do pockets and be clean in the front other than by going the modular approach. Well, that is what I use and why.

My only comment concerns the weight integration feature of the BC.

I have found that weight integration makes the BC rather heavy when changing tanks on a boat. Instead of just the BC, you've got BC plus weight. You can remove the weight, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

Bear in mind that most of my diving is in the Northeastern U.S. in a dry suit. I wear a fair amount of weight.

I notice that you are in Florida. I'm assuming that you will use less weight, so this may be less of an issue.

Oh, Nooooo. Scuba or Leadweight must have forwarded my post to JJ, GI3 and Andrew. They've banished me to the realm of vertical diving because I didn't tell you to buy a backplate.
:D

A legitamate concern. The solution is to remove the weight pockets during tank changes. After all, one removes their weight belt then also. This is particularly true when using trim weights mounted on a tank band.

Of course this raises another issue as to the construction of the weight pockets. If removal requires separating velcro, the velcro wears out and the weight pockets can fall out without warning. Seaquest just updated several of their BC's to avoid this problem.

Make sure the weights can be removed with only a zipper or other non velcro fastener. Don't worry about JJ and the others, they surely do not want to hear from me:)

I agree that you can remove the weight, but that is annoying.

My Zeagle Tech had zippers on its weight integration system. I really did not like it. They were clunky and frequently bound up.

If the goal is to avoid weightbelts, which I also don't like, consider a non-integrated system and a harness.

Back
Top Bottom