Steel scuba tank rinsing post diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How many of you never take off the tank boot after fresh water rinsing? For steel tanks, do you see rust over time?

I never take it off, but I also only ever dive fresh water. Boots get taken off at VIP time. Never any rust.

I don't take the boots off and no issues so far

Some boots (like those on my OMS and Faber cylinders, which are NOT galvanized) seem to hold water. I always remove these boots when I wash these cylinders.

I let everything air dry before I put things back together.

ETA: I wasn't careful with this, which led to the paint on one of my OMS/Faber LP46 cylinders to blister quite extensively under the boot. Fresh water diving only. I eventually took the cylinder to my local VoTech high school and had them blast off the paint completely. Then I painted it with some grey cold-galvanizing paint. I have not used this cylinder since I painted it, about 25 years ago.

rx7diver

Mine are Worthington galvanized HP100s. I never remove the boots and have had zero rust on 4 tanks. I do rinse well under the boot with a hose & soak them in freshwater after each diving weekend.

I ALWAYS drill about 20 small drain holes in the bottom of the rubber boots on steel tanks. At the end of the day I shoot water down the edge of the boot and can see the tank sorta rise up and water shoots out the little holes. I also blast the valve pretty hard too. It makes a big difference in preventing rust under the boots if you dive in saltwater and store them in a hot damp garage.

Back
Top Bottom