Steel 100 vs Aluminum 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate my Catalina AL100 (it was given to me):
image.jpeg

It's heavy and feels like a telephone pole mounted on my back. . .

I dive a 100AL nitrox rental tank all the time to keep up with the missus on her 80. Of course Meridiano, the filler, (Not ops) only fill them to 3000 rather than 3300. Same with their 100 AL air. I think because they just use one pressure, 80 or 100 for simplicity.

Personally I don't mind the tank. Underwater, I don't notice much difference between 80 and 100 really. Of course that is just me.

Dear Chief,

So then at 3000 psi, in reality, you get just 10 cf more--whom many just blindly trust is 20 cf more. Then there are the incredibly stupid buoyancy characteristics. Sad.

Dave

I did a two tank dive with AL100s at AKR a couple of years ago because I had never used them and wanted to give them a try. What a pain in the ass! So much extra weight to lug around on the boat and up the ladder for such little gain in potential bottom time, especially when every one else was on AL80s.

Dear Chief,

So then at 3000 psi, in reality, you get just 10 cf more--whom many just blindly trust is 20 cf more. Then there are the incredibly stupid buoyancy characteristics. Sad.

Dave

Well, as I said I knew Merry-D was short filling them. However that 12.5% is enough to help me keep up with the missus. That equals HAPPY. And the tank size and configuration doesn't bother me.

And I did finally dive a steel tank during my rescue class and it seemed really nice.

However what might be sad is if I had to cut my dives short. Dave would you let me run 75-100 minutes BTs?

Dear Chief,

75-100 minute bottom times are common with our groups. True Avg about 70 minutes for ALL divers

Dave

Back
Top Bottom