Check my thinking on steel vs. alum buoyancy (not just weight)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought experiments are all fine, but this reminds me of "measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe."

Any difference is going to be hidden and overcome by the volume and weight of boltsnaps and snap shackles. Why don't we ever have these discussions on the 2-3" of overlapping neoprene at the end of wetsuit legs where it covers the boots? Probably has more of an effect.

Don't lose the forest for the trees.
What is going on with the overlap of wetsuit and boots? Truly curious

In reality, an aluminium backplate would be the same size and thickness of a stainless one, circa 3mm thick. The stainless backplate is considerably heavier than the ali backplate.

When you're diving in colder water you'll need lead to sink due to your wet/drysuit. May as well use the stainless backplate to add a couple of kg/pounds without lugging a lead brick.

Or, if travelling, the ali backplate is fine and you just add another couple of pounds in lead.

BTW you can get a thick 6mm stainless backplate that is heavy! Seen one once; never really caught on due to the cost as much as the weight.

In reality, an aluminium backplate would be the same size and thickness of a stainless one, circa 3mm thick. The stainless backplate is considerably heavier than the ali backplate.
The OP was comparing a standard AL plate to this skeletonized SS plate:
Stainless-XT-Lite-Backplate_BC2119.jpg

If the OP were comparing AL applies to SS apples, then the steel plate would be 3 to 4 pounds heavier and let you drop about the same in lead.

FWIW, I like my steel plate even for travelling. It's nice having most of my needed weight built in and placed ideally for trim. If I lived in Singapore or somewhere where I could fly for short dive trips with just a carry on, I could see the appeal of ultralight gear, but flying longer international trips or SWA to FLL, I'm checking a bag anyway and the 3 to 4 pounds I'd save don't make a practical difference.

Not hidden at all when those snaps & shackles are present in both cases. In this particular case, the difference isn't a big deal, but the OP didn't know that to start with -- thus the question. Other changes (AL to steel tanks for instance) can be significant. Not everyone has the luxury of jumping in the water to see the difference, especially when contemplating a new equipment purchase.
OP recognized that this might be an insignificant difference from the get go. Again, thought experiments are fine, I highly encourage them! But my point was to not get so bogged down in minutiae that it causes decision paralysis. There are plenty of examples of very expensive things to solve problems that end up being insignificant (carbon fiber backplate, I'm looking at you). I mean, I want a CF backplate. They look cool, but trying to convince myself that there is any functional difference from an AL plate would just be lying to myself.

Back
Top Bottom