Steel 100 vs Aluminum 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is much bigger and heavier. I sold mine. Steel 100's all the way!

an absolute pig of a tank..... heavy & long....

I don't mind it much as I am 6'7", but all things being equal, I'd forever take an HP100 or LP108 or an HP117 over an AL100 any day..... I own one, and would never buy another.

If I am not mistaken the AL80, HP80, HP100 all have the same diameter, but the AL100 is a bit wider. I have a HP100 (steel) that I use locally, but would love to get a HP80 for those shore dives as it would be the perfect fit for me.

al100 is an 8" tank with a working pressure of 3300 psi. Luxfer and Catalina differ greatly in their weight and length with Luxfer being much lighter and an inch shorter.
Luxfer is 26.2" x 41lbs and roughly 3lbs positively buoyant
Catalina is 27.3" x 46lbs and about 0.5lbs negatively buoyant

Equivalent tank size are the HP130's or LP104's. If you are going for a tank that big and heavy, you may as well get 30% more gas out of it.
The Faber FX-133 is 26.8" so split right up the middle, 43lbs, again right in the middle, and has similar buoyancy characteristics to the Catalina. Saves 3lbs on your back, but gains you 30cf more gas.

Conversely a HP100 is an inch shorter, 10lbs lighter, and holds the same amount of gas as the Catalina with similar buoyancy characteristics.

TLDR? AL100's suck in literally all aspects, don't buy them.

I guess I should have clarified more in my original post. This thread is in the Cozumel sub forum.

In July I am on a family cruise. Stopping in Cozumel for 1 day, it makes sense to use Dive with Martin since they are located at the cruise pier. They are not the cruise ship operator.

Aluminum 80 is their standard, but they offer 100 cf tanks as an option. I assume they are aluminum. Trying to decide whether to go with aluminum 80 or pay extra for the aluminum 100.

More gas and bottom time is nice, but a gigantic tank does not sound like fun. I am familiar with aluminum 80, steel 100, steel 120. Never dove an aluminum 100.

Last edited:
FWIW - my RMV "tanks" when I dive my AL100... Seeing you are likely diving with a group of unknowns, the next question is, "Is it likely you will be the one limiting the group on the dive due to air?" Why spend the premium to be forced up by another diver's supply (or lack there of)?

Just something to think about...

It's unlikely you'll get to choose between AL100 vs HP steel 100 at any given dive op, the dive ops are pretty much 'all AL' or 'all steel', so if they carry 100 cu ft. tanks they'll offer steel only OR AL only. The dive op you choose will determine which (if any) type of 100 cu. ft. tank you'll have available.

FWIW - my RMV "tanks" when I dive my AL100... Seeing you are likely diving with a group of unknowns, the next question is, "Is it likely you will be the one limiting the group on the dive due to air?" Why spend the premium to be forced up by another diver's supply (or lack there of)?

Just something to think about...
I am doing a private charter for myself and family. 4 divers total, all experienced who have dove with one another.

I guess I should have clarified more in my original post. This thread is in the Cozumel sub forum.

In July I am on a family cruise. Stopping in Cozumel for 1 day, it makes sense to use Dive with Martin since they are located at the cruise pier. They are not the cruise ship operator.

Aluminum 80 is their standard, but they offer 100 cf tanks as an option. I assume they are aluminum. Trying to decide whether to go with aluminum 80 or pay extra for the aluminum 100.

More gas and bottom time is nice, but a gigantic tank does not sound like fun. I am familiar with aluminum 80, steel 100, steel 120. Never dove an aluminum 100.
DWM uses Steel 100's

Back
Top Bottom