Steel 100 vs Aluminum 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think that's correct.

From their website:

What size of tanks do you have?

We can supply the following size tanks: 50, 80 and 100s. There is an additional charge of $4 per tank for larger tanks and they must be requested in advance

I meant they have them as an option. When I dove with them, I was sucking air faster than others in the boat so they gave me steel 100's instead of the AL 80's that are the norm for them.

I dove with them a few trips ago & got (by request) AL 100's which is what I normally use in Cozumel. I need about 2 to 3 extra pounds of lead vs an AL 80.

I guess I should have clarified more in my original post. This thread is in the Cozumel sub forum.

In July I am on a family cruise. Stopping in Cozumel for 1 day, it makes sense to use Dive with Martin since they are located at the cruise pier. They are not the cruise ship operator.

Aluminum 80 is their standard, but they offer 100 cf tanks as an option. I assume they are aluminum. Trying to decide whether to go with aluminum 80 or pay extra for the aluminum 100.

More gas and bottom time is nice, but a gigantic tank does not sound like fun. I am familiar with aluminum 80, steel 100, steel 120. Never dove an aluminum 100.

Most dive ops fill AL100s to 3000 PSI so you only get 90 cf of gas.

Aldora is an easy walk from the cruise pier and will give you HP100s or HP120s, your choice, and they are a fantastic operator in other regards also.

Aldora may be a short walk from the downtown cruise pier but not from either of the piers at the southern end of town. DWM is located at the closer of those (the International Pier) but it's roughly a 2 1/2 mile walk to Aldora from there.

Getting some contradiction here. Steel 100 or aluminum 100 ? Aluminum 100 is more buoyant or less buoyant than aluminum 80 ?

My cruise ship is docking at the international pier and Dive with Martin is located right there. Aldora is definitely my preferred operator in Cozumel, but the convenience of DWM location wins out this time.

The one I was using was steel. But that was about 5 years ago

Getting some contradiction here. Steel 100 or aluminum 100 ? Aluminum 100 is more buoyant or less buoyant than aluminum 80 ?

My cruise ship is docking at the international pier and Dive with Martin is located right there. Aldora is definitely my preferred operator in Cozumel, but the convenience of DWM location wins out this time.

less buoyant than AL80. Luxfer is about 1.5lbs less positive, and the Catalina about 5lbs less positive. They come at a massive weight disadvantage though, about 10lbs. If that's worth it to you, then go for it, it's not for me.

AL100s are fantastic tanks. I use mine for inflating tires and drying regs.

Underwater...not so much.

I'd ask DWM what they will rent you. An AL100 will usually only have 3000# and 90 cubic feet but 90 is better than 77 in an AL80. They take a couple extra pounds of lead for me. They are ugly, heavy things but 13cf more is worth it sometimes. I have 2 of them in Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom