Spring and shims for Sherwood 5100 Brut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are a morron, and trained you are a trained moron ,(so don't take your regs there to fix ) but there is more of a chance to do it right if trained , that's why most people try to get trained to do it right , I my in humble opinion , I think there sould be a generic reg rebuilding course offered , I do cover regs extensively in my equipment course but I cant teach rebuilding as much as I would want .

ABNfrog...

Thank you...finally...you always did have a way of phrasing your feelings...not eloquent...but bang-on...

Dive Safe...

Warren...

I'm kinda surprised that the moderators haven't removed some of the posts in this thread. This is a DIY forum, after all. Some of the posts here amount to no more than trolling.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I have an old Sherwood 1st stage that I think is the 3300 (came with the early Magnum) and it has one stainless steel shim. I have tried adding washers (temporarily) to determine just how much thickness I need. Whenever I add enough to exceed about 125 psi the second stage goes bonkers and makes honking noises and free-flows. Does this mean I have a bad O-ring or valve seat somewhere? It seems to work fine at 125 psi, but, of course, that is way below the specs so I'm not going to dive with it.

Shaken but not Stirred...and all others...

I think it means that someone who is a qualified Sherwood Service Tech...with the proper service parts and tools should be servicing your Sherwood regulators...if you're not sure of the model...how can you be sure you're using the correct parts...

DIY is one thing...this thread has gone way beyond DIY...

Instead of looking for help from unknowing individuals with all the good intentions in the world...try contacting Sherwood and asking the same question...

Not intended to troll...but to keep you safe...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Maybe the second had been adjusted to the low IP. Do you have another second stage you could put on it to test, one that has been adjusted for a higher IP.
DIY would appear to mean different things to different people. I tend to stop short of self surgery.

Reactions: BRT
Maybe the second had been adjusted to the low IP. Do you have another second stage you could put on it to test, one that has been adjusted for a higher IP.
DIY would appear to mean different things to different people. I tend to stop short of self surgery.

grf88

Thank you...and so you should...self surgery being one very good analogy...and I'll take it you weren't being facetious...

I believe the original intent of the term...''do it yourself''...as an example...was to become trained in a subject...under the watchful eye of a qualified instructor...to gain knowledge and understanding through training and practical application ...to reach a level of confidence of the acquired skill...where-upon at the commencement of training/certification...you have now become qualified...competent...and capable...to...''do it yourself''...

''Suggested''...unproven tinkering...regardless of the implied ''good intent''...that may have adverse impact on someone else...and never on the person offering the suggestion is a very dangerous practice...and is not...and should never be considered ''DIY''...

Dive Safe...

Warren...

grf88

Thank you...and so you should...self surgery being one very good analogy...and I'll take it you weren't being facetious...

I believe the original intent of the term...''do it yourself''...as an example...was to become trained in a subject...under the watchful eye of a qualified instructor...to gain knowledge and understanding through training and practical application ...to reach a level of confidence of the acquired skill...where-upon at the commencement of training/certification...you have now become qualified...competent...and capable...to...''do it yourself''...

''Suggested''...unproven tinkering...regardless of the implied ''good intent''...that may have adverse impact on someone else...and never on the person offering the suggestion is a very dangerous practice...and is not...and should never be considered ''DIY''...

Dive Safe...

Warren...
What you are describing is an apprenticeship I think this definition might be more appropriate:
Definition of DO-IT-YOURSELF

grf88

Dive Safe...

Warren...
I love it when I get a call that someones shiny new RV is broken in a campground within 100 miles of us. They wonder if we can come fix it because nobody else will come. I pull up in my old truck with my dirty overalls and my dog sitting beside me. The owner looks real skeptical and asks "Have you worked on one of these before?". My answer "I've never even seen one before". They are always thankful after their problem is solved.

The moral: You can try with training to fix what you can fix with experience and ability to think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it with a couple of other Sherwood second stages that work fine with the IP set to around 140-145 (on other 1st stages) and they do the same thing. I'm not seeing any double-indentations on the valve seat but I'm not ruling it out. I think it was Northeast Scuba that said they are coming out with kits for the older Sherwoods but so far I have not found one. It's the darndest thing but I can't seem to find the model number of the 1st stage. The entire regulator is the 3300.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom