Spring and shims for Sherwood 5100 Brut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W W
I appreciate your concern. I have worked on a variety of mechanical and fluid systems (including breathing air) professionally for over 30 years. I prefer to maintain my own stuff and doing so has served me well. It is a control thing, not a money thing.

At top of page you will find DIY as this in the DIY Sub-Forum on this board. The OP appears to have found a suitable source for a shim and it is up to him what he does. Many on this board do their own maintenance despite the cries of instant death from individuals like yourself. Many of us do our own maintenance as a result of receiving poor service that could have resulted in serious issues. I trust you took the 3 day fueling course before you ventured into a self service gas station.

grf88...

To the point...I service all my own gear as well...including two rebreathers...and tanks...including re-hydro...

The difference being...I took all the training courses...obtained all the certifications...have all the correct tools...and have years of post-retirement dive industry experience...

I found this to be far more beneficial to me personally than having multiple dive training certifications that are seldom...if ever...used...

There's a lot of engineering and science involved with all these bits and pieces...and tinkering should never be confused with ''inventing''...

Re-read my previous post...I do not believe the definition of DIY...or the intention of the definition...is to encourage someone else...especially someone who is unknowing and untrained...to get themselves into trouble...

There are lots of good factory authorized service techs out there...all easily accessible...as well as factory trained and authorized service tech instructors...

Ones ''control'' should only extend as far as ones training and practical application...

Please feel free to proceed as you see fit...

Dive Safe...

Warren

grf88...

I did...as a matter of fact...I co-authored the CAN-TDG training manual...

To the point...I service all my own gear as well...including two rebreathers...and tanks...including re-hydro...

The difference being...I took all the training courses...obtained all the certifications...and have ten years post-retirement dive industry experience...

I found this to be far more beneficial to me personally than having multiple training certifications that are seldom...if ever...used...

There's a lot of engineering and science involved with all these bits and pieces...and tinkering should never be confused with ''inventing''...

Re-read my previous post...I do not believe the definition of DIY...or the intention of the definition...is to encourage someone else...especially someone who is unknowing and untrained...to get themselves into trouble...

Please feel free to proceed as you see fit...

Dive Safe...

Warren
I have zero training and do my own reg service. So far I have had less failures than the trained people I previously took my regs to. I think there are a lot of people like me.

You are fortunate to have had access to such training courses, most of us do not with the exception of HOG and Deep6. Failure of the manufacturers to allow their dealers to provide parts to those of us in North America results in us having to improvise at times. The OP had already serviced his regs and knew enough to check the dry bleed and IP so he was obviously not a rank amateur and providing a suggestion for obtaining shims is hardly leading him into trouble.

I have zero training and do my own reg service. So far I have had less failures than the trained people I previously took my regs to. I think there are a lot of people like me.
I think that is the motivation for many of us that service our own equipment, it certainly was mine.

don't use brass it scores and guals then the particles get in the working parts BAD advice from a self taught guru PS I teach both the deep six and hog ...the only instructor for both in canada

BRT...

''O'' training...less failures...something wrong with that statement...

Should be ''Training''...''O'' Failures''

Aim Higher...aiming for the top of the trees will in most cases barely get you off the ground...

I hope you don't loan your regs out...

Dive Safe...

Warren

if you are a morron, and trained you are a trained moron ,(so don't take your regs there to fix ) but there is more of a chance to do it right if trained , that's why most people try to get trained to do it right , I my in humble opinion , I think there sould be a generic reg rebuilding course offered , I do cover regs extensively in my equipment course but I cant teach rebuilding as much as I would want .

BRT...

''O'' training...less failures...something wrong with that statement...

Should be ''Training''...''O'' Failures''

Aim Higher...aiming for the top of the trees will in most cases barely get you off the ground...

I hope you don't loan your regs out...

Dive Safe...

Warren
You are confusing training with competence. I don't trust people who do that.

I'm kinda surprised that the moderators haven't removed some of the posts in this thread. This is a DIY forum, after all. Some of the posts here amount to no more than trolling.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I have an old Sherwood 1st stage that I think is the 3300 (came with the early Magnum) and it has one stainless steel shim. I have tried adding washers (temporarily) to determine just how much thickness I need. Whenever I add enough to exceed about 125 psi the second stage goes bonkers and makes honking noises and free-flows. Does this mean I have a bad O-ring or valve seat somewhere? It seems to work fine at 125 psi, but, of course, that is way below the specs so I'm not going to dive with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom