Sport Chalet Instruction...new rules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it just me or does the tenor of this thread (by a few) seem way out of proportion to the topic being discussed?

I think Mike summed it up very well ...

MikeFerrara:
I think the most important thing to teach is dive planning and manageing a dive within that plan...the specific tools used being secondary to the process.
I agree. The methods used are not important. What matters is that the students get from the class that planning is an important part of the dive ... and some tools by which this can be accomplished ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thalassamania:
The problem is that you're drawing on what you, in the heat of your argument, think Karl would say. From my personal knowledge I rather doubt that Karl's view is what you're representing it as. Similary you have no business implying that either the Catalina Chamber or the College of Oceaneering have a position or opinion on the topic. You should speak for yourself only, unless you can point to an official statement from either.<snip>
Thal, from my professional knowledge, I know that's exactly what Karl would say. I have a crew rotation next month so I'll ask him in person and show a copy of this thread; similarly, I'll talk to my DMT/CHT Instructor Jim Spelich at the College as well --okay? Here's PR contact info. if y'all want to ask them yourselves:
http://www.nbdhmt.com/dmt-training-facilities.html

So Sports Chalet will start teaching BOW just using eRDP; if it has PADI's blessing than so be it. My question: is this policy somehow a reaction to NAUI's "no calculation" RGBM Dive Tables introduced a few years ago? With those tables, you're only limited to three repetitive dives with a minimum SIT of one hour; while with PADI, you can do more repetitive dives as long as you stay within the parameters of the RDP. . .

Kevrumbo:
Thal, from my professional knowledge, I know that's exactly what Karl would say. I have a crew rotation next month so I'll ask him in person and show a copy of this thread; similarly, I'll talk to my DMT/CHT Instructor Jim Spelich at the College as well --okay? Here's PR contact info. if y'all want to ask them yourselves:
http://www.nbdhmt.com/dmt-training-facilities.html

So Sports Chalet will start teaching BOW just using eRDP; if it has PADI's blessing than so be it. My question: is this policy somehow a reaction to NAUI's "no calculation" RGBM Dive Tables introduced a few years ago? With those tables, you're only limited to three repetitive dives with a minimum SIT of one hour; while with PADI, you can do more repetitive dives as long as you stay within the parameters of the RDP. . .
Don't misrepresent my position. I stand four square with teaching decompression theory from first principles and I usually include the calculus (my audience can handle the math). Once a student arrives at a point where they mastered the theory they're in a position to intelligently choose the best way to represent the data for the problem at hand, sometimes that's with a set of tables and sometimes that's with a Diver's In-water Computer.

CompuDude:
I look forward to the summer, when we all just shut up and dive. LOL
Why, do you only dive in summer?

I'm looking forward to getting some dives in on New Years as long as the weather cooperates and I'm able to drive to my destination. :)

Thalassamania:
Why, do you only dive in summer?
God no! People tend to be a little more easy going when things are sunnier and warmer outside, however... and sometimes whether you're willing or not, mother nature makes it tough to get out there and dive. (high surf, big seas, polluted urban runoff, etc...)

^^^^^

the beaches near monterey were recording up to 29 foot waves and on the north coast they were recording 74 mph winds. that would be pretty tough to dive in.

Jorbar1551:
^^^^^

the beaches near monterey were recording up to 29 foot waves and on the north coast they were recording 74 mph winds. that would be pretty tough to dive in.

You could scuba body surf.

Here is a shot of my eRDP after being placed in a standard dive log and being taken on a single dive outing.

Notice the display has cracked. This wasn't even a rough trip. If they are going to do this, make the darn thing tough enough to stand up to a wee bit of abuse.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1205.JPG
    IMG_1205.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 40

Back
Top Bottom